Windows 10: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, shows wrong drive

Discus and support Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, shows wrong drive in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Since upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, I've seen the following message several times. Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered Display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Vince, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Vince Win User

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, shows wrong drive

Since upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1, I've seen the following message several times.

Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered
    Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, shows wrong drive [​IMG]

When it happens, my laptop screen goes black for a few seconds, except for the taskbar and toast notification. I also have an external monitor that doesn't seem affected at all.

I can reproduce the error pretty consistently if I rapidly switch a Flash video back and forth between full-screen and embedded, but that's not the only time I've seen the problem.

As far as I can tell, everything continues running. Even the full-screen video continues running after the screen isn't black any more.

The weird thing is that the driver name it shows isn't the driver I'm using. I've already upgraded my display drivers to the latest available from Intel's site.

Some things I've observed:

• The information presented by Windows in Settings -> Display -> Advanced display settings shows the driver for Windows 10 that I downloaded from Intel.
    • The "Intel HD Graphics Control Center" that was installed along with the driver shows the latest driver version that I downloaded from Intel.
    • In Settings -> Apps & Features there's only one "Intel(R) Processor Graphics Driver" listed.
    • Event viewer shows very little useful information:
      • General
        Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
      • Details (XML View):
        - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
        - <System>
        <Provider Name="Display" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">4101</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-07T18:18:24.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1528</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Envy</Computer>
        <Security />
        </System>
        - <EventData>
        <Data>igfx</Data>
        <Data />
        </EventData>
        </Event>

It's conceivable that Intel updated the driver, but forgot to change the string somewhere so the error is actually for the Windows 10 driver.

I don't know how to find out exactly what failed or why. It's getting that string from somewhere.

Any ideas?

:)

Vince, Aug 6, 2015

2. Display driver issues

When are we going to get a resolution to the problem: Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered Display driver Intel HD Graphics Drivers for Windows 8(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered. Name: 20150807_142052-0500_Display driver
    stopped responding and has recovered.jpg Views: 426 Size: 15.6 KB ID: 29260" border="0" class="thumbnail" src="http://www.tenforums.com/attachment...y-driver-stopped-responding-has-recovered.jpg"
    title="Click image for larger version. Name: 20150807_142052-0500_Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.jpg Views: 426 Size: 15.6 KB ID: 29260" style="border-width:0px; border-style:initial"> Ever since the upgrade to Windows 10 this has
    been an ongoing and permanent problem. I have tried everything that has been suggested and read everything I can find on the net. Nothing has solved this issue. It would seem that between Microsoft, Intel and GEFORCE that someone could solve this. From what
    I have read this is a very widespread problem.

BobHouse1250, Aug 6, 2015
  3. cherryp Win User
    Display driver stopped responding & has recovered

I keep getting this error, I just got my pc so I don't have a clue as to why I should be having any kind of problem with it. I also am having problems with some of my apps opening.

cherryp, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Littleman Win User

Just registered to say that I have the exact same problem (lenovo Y50-70 with intel 4600 igpu) - latest drivers.
    We may have more luck with intel communities. Gonna post there & link to your post.

Littleman, Aug 13, 2015
  5. Kelly Win User
    I'm having the same issue. Sometimes I can play a game for hours or five minutes. I started with whatever video drivers Windows 10 gave me when I upgraded from Windows 8.1, drivers from Asrock (I'm using a H97M Pro4), Intel driver, new driver from Asrock, new Intel driver (currently using this now). No joy with any of these.

I've upgraded my BIOS, other drivers etc. I had no issues in Windows 8.1.

Kelly, Aug 21, 2015
  6. I am starting to get that same message quite regularly, not playing games. I have an ASUS GTX 660 Ti and the driver is 355.60. I can't remember having this problem before I got this last driver. I may go back one version and see if this problem continues.

alkaufmann, Aug 25, 2015
  7. SimpleHow2z, Sep 4, 2015
  8. landtank Win User

this didn't help me that much if at all. After reading every post on the web about this problem over the last month or so I did a fresh install of windows ten as I was working with an upgrade install. Still having the problem along with hangups and reboots with various kernal errors and other junk.

Ended up being a setting in my bios! A default setting is to not be using a PnP operating system which the bios then assigns the addresses. Once I switched that to ON my problems have gone away.

landtank, Nov 9, 2015
  9. ace1user Win User
    I managed to fix this but i had too do a factory reset few weeks ago now on Win8.1 since Windows 10 has rubbish drivers and too many issues.
    BEFORE YOU DO THIS POST WHOCRASHED LOG TO ME DOWNLOAD :http://www.resplendence.com/download...ashedSetup.exe
    After you posted whocrashed log ill tell you to do it. Once downloaded click analyse then file export save it and post it here(This is for BSOD and that)
    1. Make a restore point ( NEEDED)
    2. Download DDU from internet display driver uninstaller
    2. Once dowloaded open and click open in safe mode
    3. Chooses the display driver that is causing this ( Nvidia, Intel , Amd)
    4. Click uninstall and reboot
    5. Once rebooted install FROM MANUFACTURER
    6. Go to Manufacturer Website fro your computer and download latest chipset drivers etc... (Driver and updates for your computer)
    7. Your good to go

ace1user, Nov 13, 2015
  10. SteveVZ Win User
    I'm having this exact problem, sporadically. I'm basically a computer novice. I found instructions on how to access the BIOS and did so successfully; however, I could not locate what setting you're describing when you state "a default setting is to not be using a PnP operating system which the bios then assigns the addresses." Can you clarify/help me find the specific setting in BIOS that you switched to "ON?" Thank you very much.

SteveVZ, Dec 13, 2015
  11. JBR123 Win User
    Hi, I'm new and am having the same problems. In my case, my laptop is only one week old and had Windows 10 pre-installed.

In my graphics card properties window, I am reading the following message:
    "Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0416&SUBSYS_F9391179&REV_06\3&11583659&1&10 requires further installation."

Could this be related to the problem and, perhaps more importantly, how do I complete the suggested further installation?

JBR123, Jan 10, 2016
  12. JBR123 Win User
    Sorry. I know I joined several weeks after this thread may have been considered closed, but I'd be really interested to hear if anyone has resolved this sort of problem.

JBR123, Jan 13, 2016
  13. MAXIQ Win User

well i started getting the same message, in this link How to Fix the Error | OSToto

there is more than one method to tackle that problem, what really worked with me was method number 3.

MAXIQ, Jan 13, 2016
  14. JBR123 Win User
    Thank for the reply Maxiq.
    There seem to be several methods of addressing the problem there, many relating to old computers. The annoying thing is that mine is a little over one week old and shouldn't be suffering from such problems.
    However, I have approached Toshiba who have sent me a file to install - presumably some sort of update to the graphics software. I'll give it a try.

JBR123, Jan 13, 2016
  15. JBR123 Win User
    I don't suppose anyone's interested but, just to put this to bed, I have e-mailed Toshiba who were good enough to send me a display driver update. I have now installed this and the display is working properly, although I must give it time to ensure that the problem has been solved.
    I just ought to question, though, whether a brand new computer should have had all of its software up to date before being released.

JBR123, Jan 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, shows wrong drive - Similar Threads - Display driver stopped

2. display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped...: when I open a game the screen turns black for a few seconds and a error message appears "display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in windows 8.1.I tried with registry but doesn't work,...
  3. display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped...: when I open a game the screen turns black for a few seconds and a error message appears "display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in windows 8.1.I tried with registry but doesn't work,...
  4. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: I bought a new laptop.when i uses the laptop ,i get a msg frequently that " Display driver intel hd graphics drivers for windows(R) stopped responding and has successfully recovered".It will be showed for a number of times on the display.After that my laptop suddenly...
  5. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display driver stopped responding and has recovered error: For the past few days I've been getting the "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" error. Screen goes black for a while and when it comes back the error pops up. I fear my graphics card is broken, but I hope not. My laptop has one of those switchable...
  6. Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered: So, it happened yesterday first time to me, never before. I have this desktop for about 8-9 months so i don't think it is outdated or something?*sarc It happened when i was in game ( wow, maximul quality) for a few seconds, the monitor turned black and the led which is blue...
  7. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.: Hi all, I'm having this frequent problem with my desktop computer. Since updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10, every time I use my PC (at random times) the whole screen will just go blank and I'll get a little message popup in the right hand corner saying. Display...
  8. display has stopped responding and recovered

display has stopped responding and recovered: Hello so I got this message today on my Asus ROG G750JM laptop with Windows 8.1 and it is the first time I got this error on the laptop before. My GPU is an Intel 4600 and a Nvidia 860m. I have downloaded the latest driver for my Intel GPU from the Asus website for my...
  9. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - AMD

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - AMD: Had a problem with my mother's Windows 10 tower and I mistakenly attributed all the errors to a bad upgrade from W7 to W10. My mom says she never selected the upgrade - that Microsoft did it on it's own while installing updates. I started a thread on the Updates & Activation...
  10. Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered: Been having this issue for awhile now where I would get the display driver stopped responding and has recovered. It seems to happen when I'm watching a video online like youtube or something (usually happens on longer videos 30+ mins). I've tried doing a fresh install for my...