Windows 10: Display issues - grey band at top of display

Discus and support Display issues - grey band at top of display in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A client is having a strange intermittent issue pop up with multiple users. They occasionally have the top inch or two of their second display greyed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tim Place, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Tim Place Win User

Display issues - grey band at top of display

A client is having a strange intermittent issue pop up with multiple users. They occasionally have the top inch or two of their second display greyed out. It only happens with a web browser or Acrobat. I've seen it with both Chrome and Edge. While the display is in that state, I can open other programs and they'll display fine on the second monitor. If I change display resolution and move it back, it fixes the issue. I've been updating drivers, have removed Dell Support Assist, tried turning off and on hardware acceleration. Usually Google will find an answer but this is just so specific to them and I'm shooting in the dark. Any ideas?

Win10Pro 1803, Dell Optiplex 7050, Intel HD graphics 630

:)

Tim Place, Aug 27, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Login Screen not respecting primary display. Identity Issues?

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows +X.

• Select Control panel.

• Click on Display.

• Select Change display settings at top left corner.

• Click on Identify then you will be able to check the primary display.
    Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Aug 27, 2018
  3. John Vil Win User
    Desktop display is green, grey and purple

Hello Karen,

There may be several reasons why your desktop display is showing green, grey, and purple. To assist you better with your desktop display concern, kindly answer the following questions below:

• When did this issue start?
    • Have you installed any updates prior to this happening?
    • What is the current version of your Windows 10? To check, type winver and press
      Enter on Cortana search.
    • Have you done any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

We are looking forward for your reply.

John Vil, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Display issues - grey band at top of display

Display Issue Please Help

Hi Ahmed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest on Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing while scrolling down. We are glad to help you.

To serve you better, let me know this:

What exactly happens when you shut down the computer?

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check:

Step 1: Update the Display driver. Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Click Start and go to Run.
    • In the Run prompt, type devmgmt.msc and then click
      OK.
    • Device Manager will open.
    • In Device Manager expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click the display driver and click Update Driver Software.
    • Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

Step 2: Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.
    • Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.
    • When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Step 3: If the issue persists, I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Display driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the display driver.

• Open Device Manager.
    • Expand Display adapters.
    • Right-click the display card driver and click
      Uninstall
    • Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.
    • After the un-installation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.
    Computer will load the generic display drivers. Now, please go to the manufacturer’s website, download and install the compatible display card drivers for your computer and check.

Hope this is helpful. Feel free to contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

Display issues - grey band at top of display

1. Display issues - grey band at top of display - Similar Threads - Display issues grey

2. Horizontal grey lines on display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Horizontal grey lines on display: Hi There's are strange grey lines appearing on a computer when it is connected to a terminal server. The display on the right is from an external monitor, the one on the left ist from the Laptop. When the external display gets turned off, the lines appear on the Laptop's...
  3. Desk top display problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desk top display problem: I have about 1 account saved to my desktop and chats from the internet that are open and running on my background in a semi transparent manner and I can not close them. Shutting down the computer will not even remove them...
  4. Desk top display stuck

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desk top display stuck: I went to settings in the lower left of my pc. Somehow two boxes whith 6 apps ineach box appeared and the desktop wallpaper is dimmed and faded out. The task bar at the bottom has dissapeared and i cannot close those two boxes. I think they are pinned. Ihave shut down and...
  5. Display issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display issues: Hi, Recently, I started having display problems on both the laptop screen and the external screen. The software looks weird image attached It is not consistent which software looks like this and which does not. what can we do? [IMG]...
  6. Wifi 5GHz band no longer displaying?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi 5GHz band no longer displaying?: Greetings, I was using 5GHz wifi no problem this morning, then after a restart my wireless adapter is only displaying 2.4GHz band. My adapter is using the most up-to-date driver, verified it is 802.11a/n/ac capable, manually set the wireless mode to 802.11a/n/ac in devmgmt,...
  7. Display Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Issue: I'm using a 20" external monitor. Every time I close my laptop, the screen goes sideways. I can't find the setting for this. Can anyone help? 136580
  8. Display actual WLAN Band

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Display actual WLAN Band: Hi, How to display the actual Band (2,4 or 5 GHz) that WLAN is using ? I have seen some time ago that information, I think using the netsh command, but I can not find it any longer. 67154
  9. Dell display turning grey

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dell display turning grey: My Dell Inspiron One 2020 monitor turns grey after a few seconds. It's not completely black, just grey, so I don't think it's going to sleep. After it turns grey I have to relog into my account. I have to move my mouse every few seconds to prevent this from happening, which...
  10. grey band in images

in Windows 10 Support
    grey band in images: when I download my images to a folder and open each one up I get a grey band at the top of each image.You can see the image behind the grey band but obviously i would like to have the whole image clear,the grey band is not there in photoshop.What can I do 66700