Windows 10: Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

Discus and support Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. My main display monitor is a LG 24 widescreen plugged into the laptop. With Windows 7, I had no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Photoman, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Photoman Win User

Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. My main display monitor is a LG 24 widescreen plugged into the laptop.

With Windows 7, I had no problems in using Fn key f5 to set the display to only the LG (showing as "CRT" on the screen). This did not change when I re-booted the laptop.

With windows 10, it reverts back to to the default setting and I get the laptop screen and the monitor lit up.. I frequently get a different resolution on the display too, until I open the laptop and re-set the display with the Fn key. This is annoying, as I use an external keyboard (which doesn't flip the Fn key) with the laptop lip down.

I've also tried via Control Panel (Display) but that doesn't hold the setting either.

I'd be grateful for any advice on how to set the display and keep it there.

:)

Photoman, Aug 16, 2015
  2. someanon Win User

How can I use an external monitor for the recovery operations?

Hi Ruz,

• Yes, the external monitor is set as the main display (but occasionally I experience that this setting changes to "extend these displays" without me doing anything.)
    • I access "advanced startup" via Settings>Update&security>Recovery>Advanced Startup
    As an additional information, during a routine startup until the screen with the blue windows logo ends the external monitor doesn't receive any signal. Only after this moment the monitor of the laptop shuts down* and the external monitor starts displaying
    stuff...

*My laptop's monitor still works actually but it's totally dark because the backlight is dead. Directing a torch towards the screen still enables me to check if it displays something.

someanon, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Windows 10 changes the screen resolution during installation to something my monitor won't display.

Another thing to try is to access Startup Settings following How to Navigate the Startup Settings Menu in Windows 10 and 8 to enable Low Resolution Mode. This should allow you to Display Settings to change the resolution to one which the monitor supports.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

Pressing the *Start key and the P key may be easier than messing with the Fn keys. I have dual displays on my laptop but my second screen is USB3. Window 10 remembers if it was set to extend. If it's plugged in when I boot up I get dual displays. If it's not plugged in, it defaults to PC Only, the one built in screen. Same deal on my desktop PC. I run triple monitors on it. Windows 10 remembers if I left it in Extend when I shut down. I put shortcuts on my taskbar and Start Screen for PC Only and Extend. I switch to 1 screen when gaming and switch back to all 3 when done. Wish I could be more help.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Photoman Win User
    Thanks very much for the reply. At least I can now use the Windows key + P to make life easier if it doesn't hold the settings on start up (I wasn't aware of that option for the remote keyboard).

Photoman, Aug 16, 2015
  6. I've been doing it that way since Windows 7. My desktop PC doesn't have the Fn function for that like a laptop does. It might actually stick doing it that way. Hopefully.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup

1. Display Monitor Setting Changes on Startup - Similar Threads - Display Monitor Setting

2. No display on startup with monitor turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No display on startup with monitor turned on: I have a problem with booting up Windows 10 Pro x64. When I start up or reboot my PC with any of my monitors turned on the Windows Logon screen doesn't show up.The main monitor wakes up and the backlight turns on but the screen stays black. The problem doesn't occur if I turn...
  3. No display on startup with monitor turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No display on startup with monitor turned on: I have a problem with booting up Windows 10 Pro x64. When I start up or reboot my PC with any of my monitors turned on the Windows Logon screen doesn't show up.The main monitor wakes up and the backlight turns on but the screen stays black. The problem doesn't occur if I turn...
  4. Monitor not displaying the WinRE/Advanced Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor not displaying the WinRE/Advanced Startup: My PC is having a problem with the PIN, and is saying the PIN is unavailable. I have attempted to fix the problem by trying to reset the PC, but when I do Shift + Restart in the login screen it doesn't display the troubleshoot screen required on my monitor. I believe the...
  5. Monitor not displaying the WinRE/Advanced Startup

Monitor not displaying the WinRE/Advanced Startup: My PC is having a problem with the PIN, and is saying the PIN is unavailable. I have attempted to fix the problem by trying to reset the PC, but when I do Shift + Restart in the login screen it doesn't display the troubleshoot screen required on my monitor. I believe the...
  6. Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup: I have a 3 monitor setup, with my primary monitor set to monitor 2. Whenever I restart or update my computer it will change the monitor settings for monitor 2 and 3 to "Disconnect this display" rather than "Extend desktop to this display." This is very annoying because...
  7. Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup: I have a 3 monitor setup, with my primary monitor set to monitor 2. Whenever I restart or update my computer it will change the monitor settings for monitor 2 and 3 to "Disconnect this display" rather than "Extend desktop to this display." This is very annoying because...
  8. Monitors set to "Disconnect this display" on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Display settings for dual monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display settings for dual monitors: Im using dual monitors. Can I have different backgrounds for each monitor? I want to have a darker background on my larger monitor #2 as the current background reflects to brightly on my face for online meetings. Thank you, Gaia...
  10. Display Settings for Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Display Settings for Second Monitor: Display setting is not working for my second monitor since installing Windows 10 on my PC. It does not allow me to set up second monitor, please help. Have check driver set up, still not working....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. change monitor start up settings

2. monitor screen changes at start up