Windows 10: display problems after W10 upgrade from W7 home premium;

Discus and support display problems after W10 upgrade from W7 home premium; in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Have twice tried to go to W10 from W7 home premium (64 bit)on my gateway DX4300 w AMD phenom II X64 2.60 GHz and 8GB RAM. Integrated ATI Radeon 3200HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by phil7784, Sep 23, 2015.

1. phil7784 Win User

display problems after W10 upgrade from W7 home premium;

Have twice tried to go to W10 from W7 home premium (64 bit)on my gateway DX4300 w AMD phenom II X64 2.60 GHz and 8GB RAM. Integrated ATI Radeon 3200HD graphics. Both times same problems. 1. Display no longer fills entire monitor screen and I cannot find a scaling adjustment in the Catalyst software to change it. There is a 1" black border around the entire monitor screen.
    2.Google Chrome will not open but IE does work.
    Because of these problems I have gone back to my original OS. Any suggestions. I can't find any updated graphics drivers on the AMD/ATI website.

:)

phil7784, Sep 23, 2015

2. W7 to W10 upgrade

I am considering upgrading from my current w7 home premium 64 bit to w10 which is offered free.

Main reason due to w7 home premium only allowing me to use half of my 32gm of ram.

Simple question:

Will w7 home premium 64 bit upgrade to w10 home 64 bit?

jetmechnor, Sep 23, 2015
  3. BobiJoBJ Win User
    W7 to W10 upgrade

I have tried to upgrade to W10 home premium from my 64-bit W7 home premium operating system on my laptop. I checked that I meet all requirements and have tried everything anyone ever suggested. I wasted 2 days in December 2015, and still failed.

I had no problem in March 2016 upgrading my desktop W7 Ultimate to W10, so I thought I might try again to upgrade my W7 home premium.

I have now wasted another 2 days in March trying to upgrade the laptop. Either it is a problem with my laptop that the Windows Update Trouble-Shooter does not find, or W7 Home Premium (64) will not upgrade to W10. I give up.

BobiJoBJ, Sep 23, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Sep 23, 2015
  5. phil7784 Win User
    phil7784, Oct 5, 2015
  6. spapakons Win User
    First upgrade to Windows 10 again and then install new drivers. Its safer, otherwise upgrade may fail. Your Chrome version might not be compatible with Windows 10. Install new version when in Windows 10. No need to uninstall old version it will upgrade to the new version.

When desktop doesn't fill the screen this means two things:

1) Current resolution is not native to the monitor. In that case change resolution to the native of your monitor. When you upgrade the graphics driver this is done automatically. Of course it has to be OEM driver to allow all possible display resolutions. If it is a Microsoft driver it supports only "standard" resolutions and your monitor's native may be non-standard. So install AMD driver first. Then change resolution if necessary.
    2) Current resolution is native but is implemented differently in Windows 10 (different timing method etc). In that case you have to select AUTO from the monitor controls (for LCD monitors) to adjust automatically to the new implementation. If your monitor is an old CRT you have to manually adjust it from the controls. If it is a TV then it either has an AUTO as well in its menu, or you can press the picture size button a couple of times until you get a full screen. I currently use a TV as monitor and almost every time I switch it on I have to change the picture size again to fill the screen.

spapakons, Oct 6, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you upgrade to Windows 10, it's just going to put the Windows 10 drivers on that are not 100% compatible, so you are just going to have to install the AMD Legacy drives in Windows 10 anyway, regardless of whether or not you had them installed in Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Yes, when you upgrade Windows it looks at the driver versions. It always installs a "newer" driver either from the local database (built-in) or from Windows Update. This "newer" version has higher version number than the old driver but almost always (there are exceptions) it is a Microsoft driver, not OEM. The rule is that a Microsoft driver offers only basic functionality, not all the features the device is capable of and hence it is not making great use of your expensive hardware. In the case of a graphics driver, it displays 2D graphics and has limited support for 3D. Even the desktop resolution is limited to standard modes, such as 1024x768, 1280x800 etc. If your monitor's native resolution is non-standard you don't get a sharp image and it may even not fill the entire screen as it doesn't scale properly. So I always prefer to download OEM drivers and replace any Microsoft driver, unless it is a weird device with a hard-to-find OEM driver. It is far better to install an old but full-feature OEM driver than a "new" but limited Microsoft driver. This is especially true when compatibility and performance matters most, as in the chipset, graphics and audio drivers. I always make sure they are OEM. And because upgrading Windows can incur incompatibilities (same driver behaves differently between windows versions) the best is to install drivers after the upgrade is complete.

spapakons, Oct 6, 2015
  9. phil7784 Win User
    Thanks for the replies. I was unable to get through the procedure successfully. Have gone back to W7 and will stay there

phil7784, Oct 6, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Well, if you have a spare disk you can install Windows 10 now and see how it goes. You can also install it in a virtual machine. When comfortable and you have gathered all necessary drivers beforehand, you may go for the upgrade again.

spapakons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. display problems after W10 upgrade from W7 home premium; - Similar Threads - display problems W10

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. Dell Inspiron 1545 Update From W7 Home Premium to W10 Home

Dell Inspiron 1545 Update From W7 Home Premium to W10 Home: Can a Dell Inspiron 1545, currently running Windows 7 Home Premium be updated to Windows 10 Home? Last month I unearthed a long forgotten Dell Inspiron 1545 from the back of a cabinet at my church. I was able to hack the unit (the person who donated it is no longer with us...
  6. Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reduced WiFi speeds after w10 upgrade from w7: Hello! I have a PC with a Belkin Wireless N600 wifi Dongle that I use with a belkin router. I've had this setup for years and have never had trouble until upgrading to Windows 10. Now I'm getting intermittent speeds on my PC only....my chromebook laptop still reports...
  7. W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD

W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD: Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64 has applications...
  8. Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7

Locked out after upgrade to W10 from W7: Hello. Need help urgently. Have been locked out after upgrading from W7 to W10. No Microsoft account. Please help. 17346
  9. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...