Windows 10: Display Settings messed up after Windows Update

Discus and support Display Settings messed up after Windows Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm about at my wit's end with this so hopefully someone can shed a little light on it. Last week, Windows Update installed a new update,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mikecav, Dec 12, 2015.

1. mikecav Win User

Display Settings messed up after Windows Update

Hi all,

I'm about at my wit's end with this so hopefully someone can shed a little light on it.

Last week, Windows Update installed a new update, and all of a sudden, the gamma on my monitor was much brighter than what I had been working with. The color settings on my computer are critical to my work, so even just a small gamma change is not something I can live with. I went into the Nvidia control panel to try to change it back, but every time I would try to make any alteration, it would reset back to the messed up setting. This is even before I ever hit Apply. I would make a change and *immediately* it would revert back to the messed up settings. The exact same thing happened whenever I'd try to alter the color settings through the Windows Control Panel. I tried altering the color using the monitor settings but that just doesn't even come close to having the same effect as the software.

The next day Nvidia came out with a driver update and then everything went back to normal. Then the very next day after that Windows came out with another update and I was back to my messed up settings.

I've been scouring the internet and there appears to be a history of Nvidia/Windows 10 Updates issues, but none of the solutions thus far have worked for me. I've completely uninstalled everything Nvidia. I've uninstalled the most recent two Windows Updates, but I'm still not able to get my color settings back and my patience is starting to wear thin. I feel like the only thing I haven't tried is completely reformatting the computer and starting over which, even though this computer is still pretty new, I'd still rather avoid at this point. But like I said, I'm about at my wit's end.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

:)

mikecav, Dec 12, 2015
  2. DexterG Win User

9/27/2016 Broke everything

After you restart the computer and it messes up your display again, removes the Nvidia driver, and re-installs the Microsoft Basic driver, try changing the resolution in Windows by going to Settings/System/Display/Advanced.

You can continue looking for the correct Nvidia driver once all the Windows updates have been installed. It may even be included in a subsequent Windows update. Just go to "Settings/Update & Security" and check for updates again (after the above-mentioned
    restart).

DexterG, Dec 12, 2015
  3. display messed up after windows 10 update

We are volunteers willing to help you try to resolve this issue.

Yes, there is a problem with the latest Windows Updates.

Since it is not shown in Device Manager you will need to use the below.

Updating to the latest video driver or possibly reverting back to an older version usually corrects the issue. Check with both the System/Motherboard Maker's site for video drivers then check with ATI/AMD for even newer versions (see below).

Download the latest and any other older driver you wish to try from the System/Motherboard Maker's Site and also check the actual video device maker (such as Intel, Nvidia or AMD/ATI). Do not install yet.

Make a Restore Point :

Start - type in --> Restore ......... find at top and click on - then use Create

Use this method to remove the present video drivers.

Display Driver Uninstaller

Guru3D.com...

Then install the desired driver you previously downloaded.

-----

AMD/ATI - Support and Driver - Search

http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch...

Get the Catalyst Drivers here

Gaming Technologies and Products | AMD

ATI - Forums

http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid...

ATI - Support and Drivers

AMD Support and Radeon Software Driver Download

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Dec 12, 2015
Thema:

Display Settings messed up after Windows Update

1. Display Settings messed up after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Display Settings messed

2. Display is Messed up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display is Messed up!: I had trouble with my desktop icons, and somehow messed up my desktop. The text of the name of file under the icon is very very tiny. In my browser, the "file" Edit View History Etc tab fonts are very very tiny. And when I right click on the desktop, the window is very...
  3. Display is Messed up!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display is Messed up!: I had trouble with my desktop icons, and somehow messed up my desktop. The text of the name of file under the icon is very very tiny. In my browser, the "file" Edit View History Etc tab fonts are very very tiny. And when I right click on the desktop, the window is very...
  4. Display is Messed up!

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. display settings got all messed up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    display settings got all messed up: [ATTACH] i was playing valorant and i pressed some weird button that made a beep noise, after that a weird tab popped out but i ignored it since i was mid match. I tabbed back out to see my display in grids and even my discord and browser is in white rectangular grids with...
  6. Messed up display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up display: Hi my screen is all messed up and I can't use my laptop now even with an external monitor and I don't know what the prob is. Before it got messed up the laptop would freeze randomly and I have to restart it every time. I am wondering how I would boot into safe mode with a...
  7. Messed up display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up display: Hi my screen is all messed up and I can't use my laptop now even with an external monitor and I don't know what the prob is. Before it got messed up the laptop would freeze randomly and I have to restart it every time. I am wondering how I would boot into safe mode with a...
  8. Messed up display settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Messed up display settings: Hi there,recently i was trying to set up dual screens on my computer, when i accidentally enabled some setting. I was on the display settings page, and the option i enabled may have been ¨duplicate screen¨, but im not sure. After i did it, i am basically unable to use my...
  9. Windows Update messed up camera settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Update messed up camera settings: I recently did a Windows update and it somehow messed up my Sony a6000 camera settings. My camera runs smooth on its own screen, but the video lags on my computer. It doesnt look like its running at 60fps. I cant seem to find any camlink settings or video settings on my...
  10. Dual Monitor Display Setting Messed Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual Monitor Display Setting Messed Up: I just got a new monitor to go with my laptop and I plugged it in. However, when I go to the display settings it says that the new monitor is smaller than my laptop's desktop screen. Is there a way to change the settings so that the larger monitor is displayed as so in the...