Windows 10: Display Shutdown Event Tracker? Where is it?

Discus and support Display Shutdown Event Tracker? Where is it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My currently up to date windows 10 pro machine has been restarting very very frequently after I've left it for a goodly while, including nearly every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eppack, Jan 11, 2018.

1. eppack Win User

Display Shutdown Event Tracker? Where is it?

My currently up to date windows 10 pro machine has been restarting very very frequently after I've left it for a goodly while, including nearly every night, and in trying to figger out why this is happening, I learned about this option, Display Shutdown Event Tracker. It's supposed to be in the Local Group Policy editor, but I do NOT see an option named that. I'm an admin on my machine, so I'm not sure why I can't see it, unless it's not there any longer? Moved? Who knows? I did locate the .msc for GP, and ran it explicitly as an admin, but nada. *Sad Someone had mentioned looking at the user32 events in the regular event viewer, but this is all I see there:

"The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe (LAPTOPNAME) has initiated the restart of computer LAPTOPNAME on behalf of user LAPTOPNAME\MyUserName for the following reason: Other (Unplanned) Reason Code: 0x0 Shutdown Type: restart Comment:"

Any thoughts anyone?

TIA
    elaine

:)

eppack, Jan 11, 2018
  2. xsrxs Win User

N85: Where is the "Active Standby" menu?

Thx.kingpin..but in "Standby Theme" there are 3 theme: "Horisontal icon bar", "Basic" and "Vertical Hr. Bar". And I tried all of them, found exactly "Basic Theme" turn off the Active Standby (means there are no shortcuts and events in the standby display) but
    the other 2 are not giving any "Active Standby" menu turned on in the Tools > Settings >General > Personalisation > Standby mode > Active
    standby. I used to have E71 before and I found "Active Standby" menu there where I can customise my events. I'm still confused now.....or N85 doesn't have "Active Standby"...but then where can I customise my events to showup in the display?

xsrxs, Jan 11, 2018
  3. Windows 10 suddenly shutting down

Does it shutdown when you are working with any specific program?

Does it displays the shutdown message or it just turn off?

Open start and search for Event Viewer and open it and see logs during the time of shutdown and see whether you see any related message.

Cyber_Defend_Team, Jan 11, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jan 11, 2018
  5. eppack Win User
    "Reliability" is not an option in my registry (although I can easily add it if that won't mess anything up). All I see under ".../WindowsNT" are "Terminal Services" which has "Client/UsbBlockDeviceBySetupClasses" and "Client/UsbSelectDeviceByInterfaces" under it, and "Windows File Protection" which just has a dword. The site has a .reg file to download, but it may or may not create that Reliability entry, not sure. (I'm very comfortable adding entries, btw, but not so comfy that I'll try something that might mess something ELSE up *Smile

elaine

eppack, Jan 12, 2018
  6. eppack Win User
    Although that said, I did find just one reference of "Reliability", but I expect it's not the right one *Smile It's here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability

All it has under it is "UserDefined" and "WinRE".

elaine

eppack, Jan 12, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The registry key is not there by default. It gets added when you have the group policy configured to enable shutdown event tracker.

If you like, you can use the downloadable .reg files in Option Two to enable this.

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  8. eppack Win User

I don't have that option in Group Policy either. This is the version of Windows 10 Pro I have:

10.0.16299 Build 16299

It's pretty much the latest and greatest, AFAIK.

elaine

eppack, Jan 12, 2018
  9. eppack Win User
    Interesting. I went ahead and added the reg key, and when I went to reboot, often a good idea after adding keys and such, I got a new popup asking me to give a reason why I wanted to reboot, including various reasons with both planned and unplanned. I selected Other (Planned), then when it came up again, it threw up another new popup for "Shutdown Event Tracker". All the choices were unplanned, and I had to add a reason before I could continue, even tho it was a planned shutdown/restart. Did so and all was well, but this was unexpected.

But I still don't see the option to view the shutdown reasons in GP. Or anywhere else for that matter other than these popups. If it DOES have an unplanned restart, obviously I won't have a reason why, if this appears then too, which presumably it will.

elaine

eppack, Jan 12, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It sounds like you now have shutdown event tracker enabled.

You can tell when users have to select a reason when trying to restart or shut down the computer.

You have to look in Event Viewer to see whom and the reason for a restart or shutdown instead. See the blue note box at the top of the tutorial below to see if this is what you're seeing.

*Arrow Enable or Disable Shutdown Event Tracker in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  11. eppack Win User
    Even more interesting. Before I did all of the above, I DID see a notification about "Other (unplanned)" in my regular Event log a day or two ago. It was actually the reason I started looking for this because it didn't tell me squat, ya know? So am I understanding this correctly? Regardless of what I just said (that was the first time I'd seen that, btw), the next time it crashes and reboots, I should see one of those options show up? Hopefully with a bit more info *Smile I had already set up a custom view in my event viewer for major errors, so hopefully all this will help. Gotta love microsoft and its cryptic error handling *Sad

elaine

eppack, Jan 12, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Event shutdown tracker is basically just a way to force users to select a reason why they are restarting or shutting down the computer that gets added to the shutdown event log.

What is causing the PC to crash wouldn't be related to this setting.

Brink, Jan 12, 2018
  13. eppack Win User

Ah, got it. Didn't realize that. I'm going to disable it then, because what I need is the true WHY it restarts so frequently. If *I* am restarting it on purpose, I don't need to see that.

But this has been an excellent exercise, thanks so much for that!

elaine

eppack, Jan 13, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 13, 2018
  15. eppack Win User
    I'm not getting a BSOD, or at least from what I can tell. Basically if I go away from my laptop for an extended period, overnight, for example, the next morning it's back at the login screen. This is NOT normal for me, and I don't see anything obvious in the events, but most of those are not easy to interpret. Right now, I just came back after several hours off it and logged in, and the last "error" in the log is this:

The server {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I have NO idea what that means nor if it's even a bootable "offense" *Sad I logged back in around 6:55 PM my time, but there's nothing obvious in the log before then, and as best as I can tell it may have rebooted around 4:30ish.

Everything seems fine otherwise, it works normally, etc etc. It would even be helpful if it DID throw a BSOD while I was on it, but so far it hasn't.

elaine

eppack, Jan 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Display Shutdown Event Tracker? Where is it? - Similar Threads - Display Shutdown Event

2. Tracker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tracker: I'm an Edge user. I went to settings and saw that I had about 189 trackers. About 9/10th of the trackers that has been found where from "nts . mpn . com"What is nts . mpn . com ? Thanks....
  3. Tracker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tracker: I'm an Edge user. I went to settings and saw that I had about 189 trackers. About 9/10th of the trackers that has been found where from "nts . mpn . com"What is nts . mpn . com ? Thanks....
  4. LastPass and Trackers

in Browsers and Email
    LastPass and Trackers: Below story only mentions mobile Android devices, but for information. LastPass' slate of web trackers is in the spotlight after a security researcher recommended switching away from the password manager based on the findings of a well-known privacy advocacy app. The...
  5. Shutdown Event Tracker on Windows Server 2019

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shutdown Event Tracker on Windows Server 2019: Hi all, We've build some new servers and all have the same behavior after installing Windows updates. After the user logon Shutdown Event tracker keeps appearing. A quick search pointed in the direction of a Windows update KB4490481 - CU 2019-03. Seelink. We can change...
  6. Event tracker windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Event tracker windows 10: Hello [ATTACH]is it possible to activate this popup event tracker at shutdown / restart PC in Windows 10? Thanks. Regards. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/event-tracker-windows-10/f0f56aba-48ab-4309-a0e4-b8ccc77758b5
  7. Shutdown event tracker - Windows Server 2019 Version 1809 OS Build 17763.437

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdown event tracker - Windows Server 2019 Version 1809 OS Build 17763.437: Hello: Anyone have any insight as to how to cure this? Shutdown event tracker does not reset even after entering a Problem ID and a Comment. This normally clears the problem but not this time. I can disable it, reboot and it does not appear. Once it is enabled again,...
  8. Shutdown Event Tracker and Scheduled Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shutdown Event Tracker and Scheduled Updates: Hello, I have a simple question: On a Win10P system, will the Shutdown Event Tracker hang automated scheduled updates and restarts related to these updates? I wouldn't want our maintenance schedule to be hindered by the need for manual input here, but I do like the idea...
  9. spending tracker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    spending tracker: I try to upgrade and it puts UK in the country, I can't change it and doesn't accept zip code. Also will the my iphone app connect with the PC version? Ed Brown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spending-tracker/05441b2c-9116-43c6-bf60-58d429689a56
  10. Enable or Disable Shutdown Event Tracker in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Shutdown Event Tracker in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Shutdown Event Tracker in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Shutdown Event Tracker in Windows 10 event log. When Shutdown Event Tracker is enabled, users cannot shut down or restart the computer without providing a reason. If the computer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to get rid on shutdown tracker on server 2019

2. server 2019 always displays shutdown event tracker

3. display shutdown event tracker