Windows 10: Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart

Discus and support Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Starting the command prompt from the Windows 10 v1703 DVD, how do I display the disk free space to create other partitions using Diskpart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by balubeto, Apr 30, 2017.

1. balubeto Win User

Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart

Hi

Starting the command prompt from the Windows 10 v1703 DVD, how do I display the disk free space to create other partitions using Diskpart utility?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Apr 30, 2017

2. Error when extending a partition & cannot create old deleted one again.

Also, wierdly enough, doing "list disk" in diskpart, dhow that the larger HDD has no free space, but it shows the 111GB of unallocated space in the SSD disk, wierd Screenshot - e582c8457b578c4fc6a485ec6d6dd8ab - Gyazo

Miha Mitič, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Alexior Win User
    Chkdsk /f gave "cannot lock current drive" "windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected"

You change the value of the "read-only" attribute for the disk. You can do this using the 'diskpart' utility. You'll need to burrow down to the right disk/volume. Here's how:

Start a cmd window (with a right-click on the icon then "Run as administrator")

> diskpart

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 1863 GB 1024 KB

Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 2 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B

Disk 4 No Media 0 B 0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

[...]

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 1 M RAW Partition 1863 GB Healthy

DISKPART> select volume 1

Volume 1 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> detail volume

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

* Disk 0 Online 1863 GB 1024 KB

Read-only : Yes

Hidden : No

No Default Drive Letter: No

Shadow Copy : No

Offline : No

BitLocker Encrypted : No

Installable : Yes

Volume Capacity : 1863 GB

Volume Free Space : 1863 GB

DISKPART> attributes volume clear readonly

Volume attributes cleared successfully.

DISKPART> attributes volume

Read-only : No

Hidden : No

No Default Drive Letter: No

Shadow Copy : No

DISKPART>

Alexior, Apr 30, 2017
  4. Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart

Caledon Ken, Apr 30, 2017
  5. AddRAM Win User
    I don`t think Diskpart will show you free space, just the disks in your system and any partitions on those disks. If there`s a command to list free space, please post it.

You`d have to go into windows and look at Disk Management, then I suggest Partition Wizard to manage your partitions.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

I highly recommend making and using a Partition Wizard Boot CD to work with partitions, it`s so easy to use and a great tool to have.

The Boot CD is not free anymore with Partition Wizard`s latest version 10.2, but you can download version 9.1 from here. You simply download the Iso file, then burn to CD. Then boot from the cd to look at your drives and any partitions on those drives, and it will show you the used and unused amount on any partitions.

Download MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable CD For Free

AddRAM, May 1, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    @Caledon Ken's reply was the correct answer to the specific question asked in the OP. Below, my disk 1 has 10 GB of free space I could create a partition in. There is a difference in free space on the disk that can be used to create a partition in, and free space inside partitions not used by the file system. The OP asked about free space on a disk that can be used to create a partition.

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063] (c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: JOHN-LAPTOP DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 447 GB 4096 KB * Disk 1 Online 931 GB 10 GB * Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B DISKPART>[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart

1. Displaying the disk free space with Diskpart - Similar Threads - Displaying disk free

2. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  3. Freeing Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  4. Freeing up Disk Space??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeing up Disk Space??: My computer is almost new with almost no programs added. I've also gone through and deleted some unwanted programs. Yet it won't let me add anything new because it says I don't have enough disk space. My sister thinks I may have a virus but I can't even install anti-virus...
  5. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  6. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  7. Re: Free Disk Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Re: Free Disk Space: I would like to know how do I transfer data from my internal hard drive to a memory stick, the problem is my laptop's internal hard drive is only 30GB and Windows is taking the most space? Please can someone assist? Much Appreciated....
  8. disk storage: freeing up space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...
  9. Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...
  10. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...