Windows 10: Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter

Discus and support Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Getting a new PC next week, which has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3gb). Want to use the NVIDIA's Displayports on a dual monitor setup (HDMI inputs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Eagle51, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Eagle51 Win User

Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter

Getting a new PC next week, which has an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3gb). Want to use the NVIDIA's Displayports on a dual monitor setup (HDMI inputs only).

1. Displayport to HDMI cable or adapter or does it matter ?
    2. Any gotacha's I should look out for when buying ?

:)

Eagle51, Feb 14, 2018
  2. Kevin.SM Win User

HDMI support in windows 10

Are you using only the cable or also an adapter for your graphics card?

My monitor only came with an HDMI cable, but the graphic card only has Displayport connections.

I tried a cheap Displayport to HDMI adapter, but that did not work, even with the cable that came with the monitor.

This is the adapter cable I use now:

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...ne&category=hdmi-video-cables&product=8032456

As you can see it is specified to be 4K compatible.

Hope that helps!

Kevin.SM, Feb 14, 2018
  3. DG3
    DG3 Win User
    Samsung Monitor not Working after Upgrade to Windows 10

I purchased a new mini DisplayPort adapter: "Cable Matters Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI Male to Female Adapter - Eyefinity Compatible". Now my Samsung PX2370 monitors works. The HDMI adapters don't work with that model.

4. Helmut Win User

Why would you need one, almost certainly you have HDMI outputs on the Graphics Card. Did you not check before purchase.

Helmut, Feb 14, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    A cable is better but with an adapter there's more choices. Get a good quality cable but not those super overpriced ones, they all do same job but some are more durable than others.

CountMike, Feb 14, 2018
  6. There is no practical difference between an adapter and cable, assuming you're talking about a passive adapter.

I prefer adapters since an HDMI-HDMI cable is more widely useful than a DP-HDMI cable, in case you change monitors or video card in the future and no longer need to convert. But adapters take up more space and theoretically are another potential point of failure if they are low quality.

PolarNettles, Feb 14, 2018
  7. CountMike New Member
    Adapters are just another place to loose a contact and makes input/output larger. cables are not all that expensive,

CountMike, Feb 14, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Thanks, think I'll go with the DP-HDMI Cable ... less connections *Smile
    I didn't buy it, my son did and all he would tell me is it's an HP Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with HP 23" Monitor and it would be here next week *Smile

Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Displayport to HDMI Cable vs Adapter - Similar Threads - Displayport HDMI Cable

2. The system detects the DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter as HDMI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The system detects the DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter as HDMI: The essence of the problem: due to the fact that the HDMI port on my RTX 3060 failed, I had to connect a “DisplayPort -> HDMI” adapter and an HDMI cable from it to the TV. The video is transmitted wonderfully, but the sound is not. I connected it from another device with the...
  3. The system detects the DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter as HDMI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The system detects the DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter as HDMI: The essence of the problem: due to the fact that the HDMI port on my RTX 3060 failed, I had to connect a “DisplayPort -> HDMI” adapter and an HDMI cable from it to the TV. The video is transmitted wonderfully, but the sound is not. I connected it from another device with the...
  4. The system detects the DisplayPort -> HDMI adapter as HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. DisplayPort to HDMI adapter works on Linux but not on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort to HDMI adapter works on Linux but not on Windows: A few months ago I bought a second monitor for my desktop computer. The monitor I bought is the same model as my main monitor Samsung T35F, which is a 75hz, 1080p monitor with AMD Freesync technology. My GPU is an AMD RX 6700XT which only has one HDMI output, so I had to buy...
  6. DisplayPort vs. HDMI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DisplayPort vs. HDMI?: Hello,I hope this message is going to the right place.I would like to connect a PC to a LED television and was wondering how to best go about doing it. I have a TV that will accept a VGA connector. In the past I have used a VGA cable to connect the computer to the TV but the...
  7. DisplayPort vs. HDMI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DisplayPort vs. HDMI?: Hello,I hope this message is going to the right place.I would like to connect a PC to a LED television and was wondering how to best go about doing it. I have a TV that will accept a VGA connector. In the past I have used a VGA cable to connect the computer to the TV but the...
  8. DisplayPort vs. HDMI?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Monitor is not working with DisplayPort to HDMI adapter: I have a HP EliteDisplay E222 and it is not able to recieve signals using a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter. I have tried plugging in the DisplayPort side of the adapter into my computer and into my graphics card and both of them give me no signal and that makes me think it is...
  10. Monitor not detecting a signal from the computer using a DisplayPort adapter to HDMI cable

Monitor not detecting a signal from the computer using a DisplayPort adapter to HDMI cable: I have XPS13 and recent purchase of thunderbolt docking station tb16. all are dell products (laptop, docking and monitors) . The 3rd monitor is not detecting a signal from the computer using a DisplayPort adapter to HDMI cable that leads to the docking station (since for...