Windows 10: DIY change username in drive tree for user account

Discus and support DIY change username in drive tree for user account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Ok... original user account in fresh copy of win 10 was 'moneytogopawnshop' , where I bought laptop Apparently they used this to be able to display... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by gittarpikk, Feb 24, 2017.

1. DIY change username in drive tree for user account

Ok... original user account in fresh copy of win 10 was 'moneytogopawnshop' , where I bought laptop
    Apparently they used this to be able to display the win 10 OS ..and had their own screen saver....

I figured out how to change the user account name in CP , then proceeded to use an EZ transfer cord to move the nearly 200GB of files to the new computer under the newly named account

found out that all the files are under 'moneytogopawnshop' name in the c drive root tree (this pc) in the users folder

which aggrevates the heck outta me as it should be under my new account name.

How can I change this in laymans terms as I know very little about programming...but can rename files etc. I suspect the renaming of that folder is probably not an easy option due to all these new rules in win 10 for security

Since moneytogopawnshop was given admin level, I need the change to also remain admin

I am , and will be the only user of this computer and would very happy to automatically sign in with no PW

:)

gittarpikk, Feb 24, 2017

2. After Upgrade to Windows 10: Administrator Permission

If you right click on your username file in File Explorer (C:\Users\username) you can access your permissions by going to Properties>Security tab>advanced. The owner of C:\Users and C:\Users\username should be "SYSTEM". Any folder under your username tree
    (C:\Users\username\APP) should have the username account as owner (mine is my microsoft account).

My guess is that the account you are logged into has read only permissions for anything to do with your browser or you don't have permissions set in your documents folder. To check this just right click the top of the file tree (C:/Users) and work your way
    down /Kathy/ then /Documents/ and so forth until you find the file that has file permissions not checked as "allow" in the Security tab (not in the advanced tab). To change the permissions go to the advanced tab and click the account you want to change then
    click edit and give yourself the appropriate permissions. I believe the inheritance option at the bottom of advanced will change all the folders below the file you are editing change along with the parent file. I've never used this option so I would research
    that before using it.

EarlPhilomath, Feb 24, 2017
  3. Account name not showing up for users directory

Hi Quinncollard,

Please answer the below question to assist you better.

• Are you facing the issue on a local account or the Microsoft user account?
    You could change the login name but you can’t make any changes in the username in the (C:\user) drive once you have given a particular username.

Reply us if you have any further queries on Windows 10 we will be happy to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

DIY change username in drive tree for user account

Welcome to the forum. The simple way is to just create a new admin user and. Copy any files to the new profile

Samuria, Feb 24, 2017
  5. Thanks for response....
    so , will all permissions, access to folders, programs (and their data) be accessible by the newly created admin user,,

gittarpikk, Feb 24, 2017
  6. I went into the stated user folder ...and copied all the files to a new user folder I placed in the user folder....but it doesn't show up on the sign in page.

gittarpikk, Feb 24, 2017
  7. Problem with creating a new admin user account (which I did) ....is that original I set it up with a miscrosoft email account ...and when creating the new user, and using the emails or name associated with it, MS halts it stating one already exists... so it is beginning to look like I have to create more emails /names to change it.

gittarpikk, Feb 24, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Don't take this personally, I am just stating a fact: up to now you have done about everything wrong. Now calm down and fix it. In the future please remember that changing the username in Windows does not change the name of the user profile folder; if user John marries and changes his username to LostMyManhood to go with new marital status, his user profile folder would still be named John. The only viable way to change user profile and folder name is to create a new user account with preferred name and then remove the old account.

OK, here's how to fix this. Do exactly as told below, in that exact order!

1.) Sounds as if you have already switched the original moneytogopawnshop account to a Microsoft account and it is now using your preferred Microsoft email address. Sign in to this account, switch it to a local account in order to allow your Microsoft email to be used on another user account (tutorial)

2.) Still signed in to original account, create a new local account for yourself (Option Three in this tutorial)

3.) Still signed in to original account, change the new local account's type to Administrator (Option One in this tutorial)

4.) Sign out from original, old account. Sign in to your new local account

5.) OPTIONAL: Switch the new account to a Microsoft account if you so prefer (tutorial)

6.) Remove the original pawn shop account (tutorial)
    That's it.

9. I appreciate the instructs

Well ...already had yet another account set up as admin...with correct name....but a new ms email... so deleted those..

When I followed the instructs while freshly signed into original user ,I got to the point of changing the original user to standard...but I could not choose standard. It was sort of grey'd out so seems as though machine will not allow me to remove those credentials even while signed in... so am at a standstill

gittarpikk, Feb 24, 2017
  10. Kari Win User
    In my instructions is nothing telling you to change that account's type to standard! That is a totally unnecessary step. Changing account type does not change or remove its credentials.

11. That clarified it for me.... I reread...and did it correctly...
    This time all files came over except a couple programs (which I reinstalled)...(a few more will also have to be reinstalled)

Only one major problem hopefully I can fix before I make moneytogopawn go away permanently

Apparently some of the apps came over listed in the app page ...but none of the arrangements , backgrounds etc came over

. I just see the standard win 10 start page...

Maybe there is a simple solution to fix that and my mission will be complete and I can finally get to use this computer (which is a hotrod for me considering Im replacing an old refurbed Asus Eepc netbook that was cobbled up to run win 7 Home)
    Again I always appreciate all the help I can get,..thnks
    *Smile

gittarpikk, Feb 25, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Honestly....after purchasing a laptop from a pawnshop, I would be wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Feb 25, 2017
  13. DIY change username in drive tree for user account

I'm sure it was that s a clean copy of 10 installed by some local computer shop that supplies the refurbed laptops for them to sell. I dont think anyone at the pawn shop is capable of setting up such a custom user profile ...as it certainly looked custom...mainly to show the computer works well. They have more computers than any other pawn in the area and I think the computer shop that was 3 doors down was doing the refurbs. I can see why they had the profile on it to make sure they were not responsible for giving out anyones personal data. They are a pretty decent pawn shop with integrity.
    From what I could see on the directory...there wasnt any other files/data than what would be on a clean installation other than the profile

gittarpikk, Feb 25, 2017
  14. Kari,

I have recently done something that is related to the topic here that I hope you can help me fix:
    I recently had one my Microsoft Accounts get suspended for a Code of Conduct violation. I have no idea what I did and Microsoft has refused to tell me. So I was forced to create a new MSA which I use to log in to my laptop, the Office 365 account installed on the laptop and other related programs such as OneDrive, Skype, etc...
    When I did this I noticed the User folder for the new account did not have the profile name I created. Instead it had a shortened version (Danie) which I set out to change. I found a wiki that outlined all the steps necessary to do this in User Accounts plus a registry edit to alter the Profile Path. All the changes appeared to have been successful however once I restarted the laptop Windows has been unable to sign me in to my account and anything I do is unsaved.

This is what I think I should do:
    Add my MSA that is my original main one that I use to logon to my desktop pc and Office 365, etc... for nothing other than to have an MSA with Admin privileges for those rare times when I cant make an adjustment that requires those credentials be at that level but not the same is the regular logon account.

Delete the local account I created with the same name as the MSA I created to use to logon to this laptop, Office365 etc...

I already deleted the MSA account that was suspended by Microsoft as they informed me that their decision was final and would not change.

That would leave me with one MSA which I created to replace the suspended MSA and one more MSA that is my original main one as described above.

As nothing was able to be saved I should not have any files to move to the new User Account.

Finally, there are three TEMP User accounts that have be created and used while Windows has been unable to sign me in. What do I do with these?

Thanks,

Danny R

djrobison22, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DIY change username in drive tree for user account - Similar Threads - DIY change username

2. Change username for microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change username for microsoft account: Hi There,Is it possible to fix my username under my Microsoft account?Whenever I log into a new laptop/computer using my email/Microsoft account my username is incorrect:C:\Users\boran - it should be C:\Users\borange>How do I fix this?...
  3. Change username for microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change username for microsoft account: Hi There,Is it possible to fix my username under my Microsoft account?Whenever I log into a new laptop/computer using my email/Microsoft account my username is incorrect:C:\Users\boran - it should be C:\Users\borange>How do I fix this?...
  4. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  5. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change: Hello all,I am having an issue where my username is causing errors in other software. The reason is because my username has a space in it, and certain engineering software I use cannot reach files in that folder or any subfolders.To remedy this I changed my username by...
  6. Changed username but "C:\Users\UserName" is not reflecting change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Changing C:\Users\USERNAME

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing C:\Users\USERNAME: When setting up a computer, you are initially prompted to create a username. Once this name is created, how can it be changed? To be clear, you can change your personal account name (found under Settings>Account>Your Info), but this does not change C:\Users\USERNAME (or...
  8. Username change in C: drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Username change in C: drive: I am trying to install Matlab on my computer but it won't open since I have Turkish characters in my Win10 account name. I tried changing my username via the path; control panel>user account>change my name but it did nothing to what's displayed in the command prompt. I need...
  9. User Account with username "user"

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account with username "user": I need to create user with username "user" but Windows 10 won't let me. I delete user folder in users folder and open: Settings->Accounts->Family & other users->Add someone else to this PC->(click on link)The person I want to add doesn't habe an email address->(click on...
  10. change admin username account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    change admin username account: hello.a few months ago my brother install win 10 to my laptop.i don't know which name choose but in user folder i see in user folder in admin folder account the user name ''nikol''.yesterday i reinstall win 10 using media creation.i choose during installion a different...