Windows 10: DNG Files in Windows Photo Viewer

Discus and support DNG Files in Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How can I get DNG files to open with Windows Photo Viewer? 57546 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by patrickt, Jul 26, 2016.

1. patrickt Win User

DNG Files in Windows Photo Viewer

How can I get DNG files to open with Windows Photo Viewer?

:)

patrickt, Jul 26, 2016

2. Microsoft Photos doesn't show DNG and PSD files

"MS Photos" App doesn't shows DNG and PSD files. How can I fix it?

I installed a PSD CODEC and an a Adobe DNG Codec. After that, I can see imagens in formats JPG, TIF, CR2, DNG and PSD using "Windows Explorer" or "Windows Photo Viewer". Unfortunately, using "MS Photos" I can't see the DNG and PSD photo imagens.

JuniorBsb1, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Viewing DNG Files in Windows Photo VIewer w/ Windows 10

Ok first, I would like to use windows photo viewer. I just bought a new dell computer and discovered (like many others) that windows photo viewer had issues. I have scoured the internet with no final solution. I did get windows photo viewer on the new
    computer and can view almost any format of photo, other than DNG. Now here is the weird part. If I put one of the files that you can set the default to windows photo viewer in the folder with DNGs I can thumb through the DNGs. Without a JPEG or TIFF (for
    example) photo viewer is not an option. SO while I have a work around I feel like I am so close. Maybe its stubbornness but I would like to open a DNG through default with windows photo viewer. Its just super weird that if I put a JPEG in the folder with
    DNGs I am able to view all the DNGs.

I have tried to set defaults through right clicking the photo as well as under the control panel and there is no visible way for me to select windows photo viewer.

Any suggestions?

Ray

raylewis86, Jul 26, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

You might want to read this (older) article that goes up through Windows 7, and hope it applies to 8 and 10 as well: How to view DNG thumbnails in Windows. On the other hand, you might want to grab a DNG capable codec instead. Here's one from Adobe that may do just want you want it to in Windows Photo Viewer: Adobe DNG Codec.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 26, 2016
  5. aardvark Win User
    aardvark, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DNG Files in Windows Photo Viewer - Similar Threads - DNG Files Photo

2. DNG file not showing as Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNG file not showing as Thumbnail: If I go to a folder of pictures files .... the jpeg show as thumbnails, and one or 2 DNG will show as thumbnails, but not all.If you have a great many files it is really annoying not having the thumbnail showChecked that the option in File Explore is to display as...
  3. DNG file not showing as Thumbnail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNG file not showing as Thumbnail: If I go to a folder of pictures files .... the jpeg show as thumbnails, and one or 2 DNG will show as thumbnails, but not all.If you have a great many files it is really annoying not having the thumbnail showChecked that the option in File Explore is to display as...
  4. opened a photo with windows 11 photos app, DNG file type. When saving as JPG, the picture...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    opened a photo with windows 11 photos app, DNG file type. When saving as JPG, the picture...: DNG file type opens fine in the photos app but saving as JPG does not work. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opened-a-photo-with-windows-11-photos-app-dng-file/267414fb-fb85-4640-91b6-9e1b262605d0
  5. Disable Photos app from opening DNG files -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Photos app from opening DNG files -: Hi, Is there any way you can set up Photos app not to open DNG files when viewing images? With my camera I shoot in RAW and then copy the RAW images to a Folder on my Windows 11 PC I then import these into Photoshop Elements, I then process the images and produce JPGS which I...
  6. Disable Photos app from opening DNG files -

Disable Photos app from opening DNG files -: Hi, Is there any way you can set up Photos app not to open DNG files when viewing images? With my camera I shoot in RAW and then copy the RAW images to a Folder on my Windows 11 PC I then import these into Photoshop Elements, I then process the images and produce JPGS which I...
  7. Microsoft Photo: How to hide DNG files in collections

Microsoft Photo: How to hide DNG files in collections: Program: Microsoft Photos OS: WIndows 10 Home Process: Exporting photos from Lightroom into the defaulted Pictures folder that comes with Windows. When I view the photo within these folders, I see just the .jpeg files and no .DNG files. This is good, this is what I want....
  8. Locate the executable file for windows photo viewer

Locate the executable file for windows photo viewer: I have a newsreader that wants the executable program name on my Windows 10 Pro desktop when opening .jpeg, .jpg files. In older Windows OS I could find the .exe file in a systems or systems 32 directory. Anyone know where Windows 10 Pro keeps this file ? (also, I dl'd the...
  9. Opening dng files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening dng files: I'm unable to open folders containing dng files in Windows 10. The folder opens then closes straight away. Any ideas why or what I need to do? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-dng-files/13f5a631-a20b-4c82-9797-43823cca9ab4
  10. Windows photo and photo viewer

Windows photo and photo viewer: Photo app and photo viewer app not working, please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-and-photo-viewer/3b344c54-cf1c-4cf1-ab44-8bfba1ded777