Windows 10: DNS Cache Users

Discus and support DNS Cache Users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Do Google Chrome, MS Edge, & IE all use the same DNS Cache? And is there any wisdom to periodically flushing the cache just as a normal maintenance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wiley Coyote, Apr 1, 2017.

1. DNS Cache Users

Do Google Chrome, MS Edge, & IE all use the same DNS Cache? And is there any wisdom to periodically flushing the cache just as a normal maintenance routine?

:)

Wiley Coyote, Apr 1, 2017

2. I can't log into my Microsoft account or use the Store since Anniversary Update

There is no notification about this problem. I tried changing my DNS to Google's DNS, flushed
    my DNS cache
    & nothing changed. I then tried Open DNS, flushed
    my DNS cache
    & still nothing. I don't know what else to try to fix this issue beyond doing a clean install.

eisnerguy2, Apr 1, 2017
  3. Boot bug and DNS CLIENT event BUG?

Try disabling DNS client.

To start View your dns cache, always good to know what is in there which may be helpful

ipconfig /displaydns In elevated command

Then clear your dns cache

To clear your DNS cache

>Click Start.

>Elevated CMD

>Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns.

Disable DNS Cache

>R-click Start

>Run>Service.msc

>Scroll to DNS Client

>Stop and disable.

your store apps will not work.

Myself I never Enable DNS Client and is always disabled. I don't use store or apps.

bfvetscolakid, Apr 1, 2017
  4. DNS Cache Users

Yes, unless you use an extension, which lets to use a different DNS or you use dnscrypt.

That depends on various factors, like how fast an reliable is your internet connection.
    Flushing the cache will force Windows to rebuild it, which can slow down loading webpages.
    If you have a fast connection, you do not need to use caching, there is virtually no difference.

TairikuOkami, Apr 1, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Just a note. If you change your DNS server, say go to Google (8.8.8.8) or switch to OpenDNS or any other than your default ISP, it's a good idea to flush the DNS. It will get rid of any possible "redirects" from previous DNS and will rebuild.

Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Network Sharing Tutorials

ipconfig /flushdns at Admin command prompt.

f14tomcat, Apr 2, 2017
  6. Thanks to you both for the replies. After a couple of odd incidents, this morning I did flush it with CCLeaner and there's a noticeable improvement in Edge's performance.

It's not likely I will change ISPs. Living in a one horse town, I don't have a lot of choices and so far CenturyLink has done a good job. Local cable company can't keep the TV connected, I'm not going to try doing financial activities over the web with something that unreliable.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 2, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    You dont need to change ISP to change your dns using opendns or google are both faster servers and have built in security your isp doesnt have opendns will block a lot of bad sites

Samuria, Apr 2, 2017
  8. DNS Cache Users

Hmmm. That may be worth looking into Samuria. Thanks you.

9. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, that's what I meant. Poorly worded on my part. Your CenturyLink is your ISP, and if not changed in your lan settings, will use their DNS, with whatever they decide is best for you. And reap the rewards. Not saying they are sinister, but they could redirect you if they wanted to. The old 404 trick....you type in an invalid site, they catch the 404, and send you to some paid advertiser. I use OpenDNS, with Google as third & fourth in line. Both ipv4 and ipv6. Cost you nothing to try, you can always put them back.

f14tomcat, Apr 2, 2017
  10. You make a compelling case. I will bone up on it. It'll give me something to do at 04:00 in the morning.

11. TairikuOkami, Apr 2, 2017
  12. f14tomcat Win User
    That is a good one. Hasn't been updated for a while, but probably Gibson saw no need cause the premise hasn't changed much either.

Takes a little tweaking and interpretation, but when you understand it, it sheds a lot of light on what's going on. Not just speed.

f14tomcat, Apr 2, 2017
  13. DNS Cache Users

Y'all are making me realize just how little I know about what I'm doing. Thanks, I've got some self-education to take on now.

14. f14tomcat Win User
    You know more than you realize. Anybody with the ambition for self-education already knows more than most. *Smile

f14tomcat, Apr 2, 2017
  15. It seems, that moderator has edited my post and replaced it by mistake. I guess, Softpedia is not allowed.

GRC does not work on my PC (it crashes upon launch), I use namebench instead.

TairikuOkami, Apr 2, 2017
Thema:

DNS Cache Users

1. DNS Cache Users - Similar Threads - DNS Cache Users

2. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  3. Flush DNS Cache Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...
  4. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  5. Flush DNS Cache

in Windows 10 Support
    Flush DNS Cache: The other day I tried to flush my DNS cache (no particular reason). command run as admin: ipconfig/flushdns result: Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache. but with the command ipconfg/displaydns I still see 139 entries the service "DNS Client" is running (set to...
  6. Suspicious entries in dns cache

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Suspicious entries in dns cache: I've spotted some suspicious entries in the dns cache. The domains seem to be of chinese origin and they have been reported by some as malware. I've run anti-malware programs, flushed the dns cache, changed the preferred dns, restarted my computer and so on, but they are...
  7. Suspicious entries in dns cache

Suspicious entries in dns cache: I've spotted some suspicious entries in the dns cache. The domains seem to be of chinese origin and they have been reported by some as malware. I've run anti-malware programs, flushed the dns cache, changed the preferred dns, restarted my computer and so on, but they are...
  8. DNS Cache Suspicious Entries

DNS Cache Suspicious Entries: Hello, I have a DNS entry which never goes away even after flushing it multiple times and restarting the machine. I would like to know if there is a way to identify which program/application is constantly trying to access the network so that I can remove this suspicious...
  9. DNS Cache

DNS Cache: I have a site that was pointed to shopify, and then closed the store. Now when I try to load the new site, it always directs to the closed shopify site. If I do a dns reset using ipconfig /flushdns it will work for a while, but then always reverts back. So I have to reset...
  10. Random websites in DNS cache..?

Random websites in DNS cache..?: Hey all, first of all - thanks for taking a look at my post. So I was having problems with a twitch stream and the error came up about "DNS probe failed" on chrome, looking this up revealed I needed to clean history on my chrome + clear out the dns cache with ipconfig...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to decode dns cache user