Windows 10: DNS Client Service will not start

Discus and support DNS Client Service will not start in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I open the DNS Client Service (Dnscache) in Services.msc, the Startup Type drop down box is greyed out, so I cannot change the startup type. It was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spindles7, Dec 18, 2017.

1. spindles7 Win User

DNS Client Service will not start

If I open the DNS Client Service (Dnscache) in Services.msc, the Startup Type drop down box is greyed out, so I cannot change the startup type. It was disabled and I wanted to change it to Automatic but cannot from the Services utility. So I changed the Start value to 2 in the Registry for the Dnscache service. This changes the startup type to Automatic (Trigger Start) as shown in Services. However, trying to start it produces the Error 1058: "The service cannot be started because it is disabled or it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Steps I have done so far:
    1. Ran sfc /scannow
    2. Checked permissions on the relevant registry keys compared to another (working) Windows 10 computer.
    3. Replaced the file C:\windows\system32\dnsrslvr.dll with one from another (working) Windows 10 computer.
    4. Checked the dependent services and drivers are running.
    5. Checked the registry values and sub keys for HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache

I am out of ideas. Any help to fix the permissions and get this working will be appreciated!

Thanks,

Roy

:)

spindles7, Dec 18, 2017
  2. AlanF917 Win User

Windows 10 upgraded - Edge/Store/Cortana not working but Chrome, Skype are

A cause of this is that the DNS Client Service is not running. Start this service and set it to start automatically.

AlanF917, Dec 18, 2017
  3. N0rseman. Win User
    Edge Browser Not Working With Windows 10 Upgrade

My problem was resolved by starting the DNS Client service. I could navigate in Edge by IP but not by name. I received an error message of "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution."
    When I tried an ipconfig /flushdns command. This error led me to the DNS Client service. Mine was disabled. Turned it on and things started working again DNS Client Service will not start :)

N0rseman., Dec 18, 2017
  4. spindles7 Win User

I don't usually like replying to my own thread, but this information may be useful:

After I restarted the computer, the service started without problems. However, the Startup Type and the Stop/Start buttons are still greyed out.

On my other Windows 10 computer, which was working OK, then was updated with the Fall Creators Update to version 1709. After this, the DNS Client Service is also prevented from being stopped or the startup type changed.

So it looks like the change was introduced by this update to Windows, and is by design.

spindles7, Dec 18, 2017
Thema:

1. DNS Client Service will not start - Similar Threads - DNS Client Service

2. DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Every Hour. Issue with DNS Client Service

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Every Hour. Issue with DNS Client Service: I'm having a problem with the DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN when browsing through the internet. Also, if I play online games, I keep having sync issues. Normally, I would just flush the DNS Cache using the CMD command ipconfig /flushdns, once in a while. This will fix the...
  3. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start: Hello,We are using Windows 10 V1809. "Application Publishing Service" and "Remote Desktop Services" cannot start. I checked Event Logs and show this logs that happens often."The DNS client service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found."I...
  4. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start: Hello,We are using Windows 10 V1809. "Application Publishing Service" and "Remote Desktop Services" cannot start. I checked Event Logs and show this logs that happens often."The DNS client service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found."I...
  5. Windows 10 - DNS Client cannot start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue: Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can see that Service Host: DNS Client and Service Host: SSDP Discovery (together with a whole bunch of other network processes...
  7. DNS Client Service Issue

DNS Client Service Issue: Hello. After getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in many websites, I tried to fix this by restarting the DNS client service. The problem is that there are no clickable buttons in the services window, and using cmd gives an error saying that the cammand was invalid and to...
  8. issue with DNS client service and large hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with DNS client service and large hosts file: When switching between a vpn and not, the DNS client service becomes active, maxing out at 25% cpu and all dns queries are unresponsive for 5 to 10 minutes. I confirmed this is the hosts file, as I deleted most entries (used for blocking) and this issue went away. Any...
  9. DNS Client

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS Client: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date: 16-04-2020 15:47:58 Event ID: 8020 Task Category: 1028 Level: Warning Keywords: User: NETWORK SERVICE Computer: Hostname Description: The system failed...
  10. Best Dynamic DNS Client Updater and Dynamic DNS service for hostnames.

Best Dynamic DNS Client Updater and Dynamic DNS service for hostnames.: Do you guys recommend a DDNS service that will update your own private domain name whenever your ip address changes? Namecheap seems good. It doesn't appear to make you use one of their domain names or charge you for using your own domain name. Registration seems to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dnsclient 1058 error

2. dns client service error 1058

3. error 1058: the service cannot be started fix dns

4. net start dns cache error 1058,
  5. dns client 1058