Windows 10: DNS - host file

Discus and support DNS - host file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Buenas noches (Good night): en el DNS de windows tengo lo siguiente (Into the DNS windows file I have this line): 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bgva2005, Nov 15, 2015.

1. bgva2005 Win User

DNS - host file

Buenas noches (Good night):

en el DNS de windows tengo lo siguiente (Into the DNS windows file I have this line):

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost

Si aumentara (if I add this line):

127.0.0.1 miequipo
    ::1 miequipo

al hacer ping a miequipo, debería resolverlo y hacer un reply?? when I do this: ping miequipo, the system in going to respont with the ipadress?

Please explain me your answer.

:)

bgva2005, Nov 15, 2015
  2. reknor320 Win User

Windows 10 DNS fails for 1-2 minutes after wake from suspend

Have you tried clearing out your hosts file, as windows DNS client service is very slow at loading, and if your hosts file contains a significant amount of URLs then it will take a while for DNS to come online. I was actually seeing if there was any reason
    for windows DNS client being EXTREMELY slow at caching the host file. On an i5 3.0Ghz with a standard hard drive about a 4.0MB host file will take about 15 minutes to load, so URL resolving will not happen until then, and if it is only about 1 to 2 minutes,
    and you have an older system which takes about this long to start from boot then you may not notice it then. Please note that you must open the hosts file with notepad as administrator to be able to save any change to it, and if DNS client is loading from
    it then notepad will tell you it is in use. I could be wrong, however this seems to be a modern overlooked problem, similar, but different to the temporary internet files folder in older windows, where it stores information locally for quicker access, however
    if it gets to much information then it can actually cause things to get slow, and in the case of the DNS client, this will also use a proportion of process (say 20 - 30%) while it is loading this information into RAM. I hope this helps.

reknor320, Nov 15, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

DNS - host file

1. DNS - host file - Similar Threads - DNS host file

2. Dns client errors after changing host file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dns client errors after changing host file: I recently had to completely refresh my host file and followed the windows and 10 instructions on how to do it. But now I get this constantly in event viewer. Please help....
  3. Dns client errors after changing host file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dns client errors after changing host file: I recently had to completely refresh my host file and followed the windows and 10 instructions on how to do it. But now I get this constantly in event viewer. Please help....
  4. Dns client errors after changing host file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue: Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can see that Service Host: DNS Client and Service Host: SSDP Discovery (together with a whole bunch of other network processes...
  6. issue with DNS client service and large hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with DNS client service and large hosts file: When switching between a vpn and not, the DNS client service becomes active, maxing out at 25% cpu and all dns queries are unresponsive for 5 to 10 minutes. I confirmed this is the hosts file, as I deleted most entries (used for blocking) and this issue went away. Any...
  7. DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large: System: Windows 10 on Surface book 2 15'' My hosts file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory has about 95000 entries (I need that file - it blocks certain web-pages from being accessible by sending their addresses to to 0.0.0.0). After restarting/turning on/waking from...
  8. Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working )

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Vanilla hosts file ( hosts file not working ): Hi I keep getting this symptom from time to time , it fixes with windows updates but then occasionally come back . I have a list of advertising and malware websites that I filter through hosts file that are often used by a chat client as per the chat client community...
  9. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: should the Hosts file be made read only ? 51243
  10. Hosts file

in Windows 10 Support
    Hosts file: I am embarrassed that I forgot on change from Windows 7 to 10 I forgot until now to remember that only the sample Hosts file was installed. Now I cannot recall where the more comprehensive version came from or how to install it. Please advise me. 97081