Windows 10: DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem)

Discus and support DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OS: Windows 10, version 1709 Router/Modem: Arris (Comcast) TG1682g I have a question about which DNS IP address has priority. The router has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by fwshaw, Nov 29, 2017.

1. fwshaw Win User

DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem)

Router/Modem: Arris (Comcast) TG1682g

I have a question about which DNS IP address has priority.

The router has a fixed DNS IP of 75.75.75.75 (Comcast). It appears from looking at the router software/firmware and comments on the Comcast user's forum it is not possible for me to change the DNS IP of this router.

I've set Windows DNS IP to 9.9.9.9 (Quad9). I want to use the DNS servers at 9.9.9.9; I do not want to use the DNS servers at 75.75.75.75

My question is: When my Windows 10 send a DNS request to 9.9.9.9 does the router's DNS setting (75.75.75.75) override the Windows DNS address? Or is the DNS request sent to 9.9.9.9 in spite of the routers DNS setting?

Thanks for your wisdom and insights.

:)

fwshaw, Nov 29, 2017

2. A reference to "netgear.com" domain on the DSL modem goes to all clients

I get the following domain information for netgear.com when I run IPCONFIG /ALL:

"DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : netgear.com

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : netgear.com"

The only place I can see a reference to netgear.com in on the DSL modem. For some reason, netgear added this domain to the hard coding of the DSL modem. There is no field that has it that I can change. The router is a DLInk DIR-890L Rev A. The PC is running
    Windows 10 1151 latest release and all updates are current. Is there some way I can over-ride it on the router or a PC client setup?

Thanks in advance, Mark

MarkRowland1954, Nov 29, 2017
  3. Is this a virus or pc problem "You don't have permission to access "Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay" on this server."

Same here, Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, on two different computers hardwired and one phone on WIFI connecting thru Cable modem/Router.

Unplugged re-plugged modem/Router. Set DNS to Google DNS. Renewed lease in router.

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay" on this server.

Reference #18.99ef3e17.1488844966.3267c88f

Using the phone on neighbors WIFI no problem getting to eBay.

So previous post must have been right, My ISP's system is not allowing any traffic from my IP address to eBay.com

WilliamKrems, Nov 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

No windows in full control it goes to the dns set in its properties

Samuria, Nov 29, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    It is fixed so that the phone side of that eMTA will work. If you need the phone, keep the TG1682g for that. If you want to use your own DNS, place a Gateway behind that eMTA or get the proper splitter, connect the eMTA to the first leg of the splitter and on the other, a decent modem, Gateway and Access Point, so that you have more flexibility on your network.

bro67, Nov 30, 2017
  6. fwshaw Win User
    Many thanks for your comment and insight. I am using the TG1682G router/modem for phone service. Since that means the routers DNS IP address is fixed, does that also mean my computer (laptop) DNS server access is also fixed to 75.75.75.75 (Comcast) even though Windows 10 DNS address is set to 9.9.9.9?

Also when you use the term "a Gateway behind" do you mean between the Internet connection and the eMTA?

fwshaw, Nov 30, 2017
  7. If in doubt, you can check your DNS servers using DNS leak test or BrowserLeaks.

TairikuOkami, Nov 30, 2017
  8. bro67 Win User

Again. If you want to be able to set your own DNS and not have to use the eMTA with Comcast’s DNS, you can either put them in static and hope that a driver update does not reset them. Ot go purchase your ownModem, wired Router/Gateway and a Access Point. That will give you the most flexibility if the time should come that you have to replace any of those three items, including having a better CPU&RAM for the Router and same for the Access Point.

You want to just go with your idea, that is fine temporarily, just heedehat I posted.

bro67, Nov 30, 2017
  9. fwshaw Win User
    Got it...thanks to all for your insight and information.

fwshaw, Dec 1, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    As a rule, DNS set in Windows (with static IP etc) override a router DNS. However, some routers intercept the Windows DNS making the router DNS take priority. This is pretty rare though.

Most routers in UK lock down DNS on router but do allow you to use a Windows DNS instead. I use a chromecast dongle and you have to bypass router DNS to cast videos from a VPN. I got round this by having a second non ISP supplied router connected LAN/LAN and set that routers DNS accordingly. That way I could easily flip flop between DNS needed for VPN and DNS needed for normal internet traffic simply by connecting to appropriate router via wifi.

If router does intercept DNS, then really only option is to use a genric non ISP router.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DNS Priority (Windows 10 vs Router/Modem) - Similar Threads - DNS Priority Router

2. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  3. Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows bypasses DNS rules on Router: I have a small network that is configured, on Linksys router, to use an internal IP for DNS requests.Dnsmasq running on Raspberry PI. The requests are then redirected through a personal tunnel to a personal server running the DNS service.Everything is working great and I have...
  4. Windows 10 updates and subsequent router/modem issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 updates and subsequent router/modem issues: I have Windows 10 Professional 64bit, and every time there is a Windows automatic update, my router/modem stops functioning. I try a "reset" following the instructions from Verizon FiOS who supplies the router/modem branded as Verizon Model G1 100, and then I try another of...
  5. Use modem/router combo as router only

Use modem/router combo as router only: I purchased an Arris SURFboard SBG6700-AC (modem/wifi combo) several years ago. I moved to another city with a different ISP. The cable guy could not get this to communicate with his cable system. There is an 80-year-old woman (neighbor) who has internet but no wifi. I bought...
  6. Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router

Connect a NBN modem to a ADSL modem router: I am thinking of converting to NBN service in Australia. However, my setup at the moment is single box ADSL modem with a switching router, which I connect my equipment to its LAN ports. With the new NBN standalone modem, how do I connect to the existing switch router...
  7. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  8. Dual Wireless router priority setting

Dual Wireless router priority setting: I have a network were there are two wireless routers being used to extend the range of the wireless network (both using the same SSID but on different wireless bands - 3 and 8). Most of the computers on the network are laptops and need to change which router they are using...
  9. Setup password for router/modem, MS 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setup password for router/modem, MS 10: In my attempts to find instructions on setting up a password for my WIFI, I am frustrated by the endless reams of conflicting instructions. Is this such a difficult procedure?...
  10. Nightly reset for modem and router.

Nightly reset for modem and router.: Is it ok to do nightly resets on my router and modem? Im making "network closet" which will hold my Nighthawk x6 and surfboard modem. I never thought about resetting them on a nightly basic tell now. this way i can flush them fresh every morning. or is this pointless? 89858

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc dns vs router dns

2. windows 10 dns vs router dns