Windows 10: DNS problems on Win 10

Discus and support DNS problems on Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I have Internet problems since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Sometimes I don't have Internet when I turn on my PC & it seems has problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ditendra, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Ditendra Win User

DNS problems on Win 10

Hi all,
    I have Internet problems since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Sometimes I don't have Internet when I turn on my PC & it seems has problems with DNS when I use diagnostic tool & it's unable to repair it, until I don't reset my router.
    Anyone else having the same problem?

:)

Ditendra, Aug 2, 2015

2. Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

I can confirm that I also have the issue. To resume:

- Windows VPN does not try to resolve hostnames with the remote DNS, with or without split-tunneling enabled. It always uses the DNS defined on the local network card.

- Issue is new to Windows 10, Windows 8.1 was working correctly with the exact same VPN configuration.

- Split-tunneling has nothing to do with the issue as the local DNS setting is used in both scenarios to resolve hostnames which is wrong. Hostnames should be resolved by the remote DNS. By the way, there is a bug in the VPN GUI of Win 10, it is not possible
    to access the dialog to change the split-tunneling configuration. It can only be done through PowerShell.

- Even if IPV6 might be involved in the issue, I have never touched the default IPV6 config under Win 8.1 and DNS always worked correctly. It should be the same with Win 10.

- With nslookup we can clearly see that it uses the DNS of the NIC and not the one pushed by the VPN. nslookup under Win 8.1 uses the VPN defined DNS.

Microsoft, please address this issue as this is a showstopper for enterprises using the integrated Windows VPN. It is broken!

UPDATE 1: problem is actually a bit different than what I thought, DNS resolution works IF you don't use the FQDN of the internal machine you want to reach. The funny thing is that "ping mymachine" will return as a result "mymachine.mycompany.com".
    But trying to ping "mymachine.mycompany.com" does not resolve since it uses the locally defined DNS. So the problem is with the DNS filter, it does not use the DNS suffix search list to decide where the DNS query should be sent.

UPDATE 2: problem is not specific to Windows VPN, SonicWALL NetExtender VPN has the same issue. So it's the DNS resolver which is common to all VPNs that has the issue.

UPDATE 3: DirectAccess is also not working, also seems related to the DNS issue. Looking at the DirectAccess Troubleshooter log there are various unresolved hostname errors.

Louis-Philippe Normandin, Aug 2, 2015
  3. HitFactor Win User
    Ethernet not stable since win 10 upgrade

I was having trouble after the Win 10 AU. Most of the errors pointed at DNS server problems.

IPCONFIG /ALL showed I was using the comcast DNS servers.

I switched over to the Google DNS servers and everything cleared right up, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for IPv4 service

Go to the properties of the network adapter, IP V4 and manually enter these addresses in the DNS field.

HitFactor, Aug 2, 2015
  4. linw Win User

DNS problems on Win 10

Under properties\Power Management for your network card do you have Allow PC to turn off this device? If so, uncheck those Power setting boxes and see if that helps.

linw, Aug 2, 2015
  5. I certainly think there are serious DNS problems. I have installed the release via upgrade from 7. Occasionally when surfing (Edge or Chrome) i get a long delay, then "Webpage not Available," frequently followed in a few seconds with the requested page.
    I have switched to fixed DNS server addresses, and the situation seems to be improved.

JoeInMexico, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DNS problems on Win 10

1. DNS problems on Win 10 - Similar Threads - DNS problems

2. Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.: Hi all, Ive got a challenge here !my pc is HP elite desk, running win 10 pro i7 . recently a lot of problems with edge not wanting to start up, and when it did, took a long time to load.am also getting lots of modem problems I am on BB cable INet via NBN AUS with TPG as...
  3. Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.: Hi all, Ive got a challenge here !my pc is HP elite desk, running win 10 pro i7 . recently a lot of problems with edge not wanting to start up, and when it did, took a long time to load.am also getting lots of modem problems I am on BB cable INet via NBN AUS with TPG as...
  4. Problems : edge failing, Modem losing config, email stopping, DNS faults.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. DNS problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS problem: hello, i can't install VSCode, it says wrong dns. How to fix it, please help me!there is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-problem/41826b00-3330-45b8-89b9-8afa959824e0
  6. DNS problem

DNS problem: hello, i can't install VSCode, it says wrong dns. How to fix it, please help me!there is DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-problem/41826b00-3330-45b8-89b9-8afa959824e0
  7. Problem with DNS after connecting second Win10 Device to one account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with DNS after connecting second Win10 Device to one account: Hi,I shared this bug using Win+F 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, they haven't replied yet.But the issue appeared again, so I have to use this resource.I have a Win10 account, it was launched on my PC. I relocated, taking a notebook wind 10 of my relative. So we swopped devices....
  8. Problem with DNS after connecting second Win10 Device to one account

Problem with DNS after connecting second Win10 Device to one account: Hi,I shared this bug using Win+F 4 weeks ago. Unfortunately, they haven't replied yet.But the issue appeared again, so I have to use this resource.I have a Win10 account, it was launched on my PC. I relocated, taking a notebook wind 10 of my relative. So we swopped devices....
  9. Problem with DNS after connecting second Win10 Device to one account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Flush DNS Cache Problem

Flush DNS Cache Problem: Netflix won't open, so I searched the web, which told me to flush the DNS cache, I did flush the DNS cache, but the problem was not solved. I tried reinstalling Netflix, but the Microsoft Store takes a long time to load. Also, can't open the Windows update. It says that I...