Windows 10: Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature?

Discus and support Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Been a while since I owned an AC powered external hdd. Do they respond to the same turn off hdd after setting in that of power features or do they have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kol12, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature?

Been a while since I owned an AC powered external hdd. Do they respond to the same turn off hdd after setting in that of power features or do they have their own power management features?

:)

Kol12, Jul 2, 2017

2. HDD disappear when used

I have strange problem with Win 10. I have SSD and HDD setup. When I try to copy to HDD, it copy some files and then the drive disapperar form Task manager (not from the explorer) and speed drop to 0. It affect even external HDDs connected via USB 3.0
    and even network HDD.. After restart disk is not visible, only thing that helps is turn off PC and turn off power switch. After it the HDD acts as normal, but when i try again to copy (other) data, it write some of them than again, speed drop to 0 and HDD
    disappeared.

Hades Mefisto, Jul 2, 2017
  3. Bohemy Win User
    HDD won't spin down/sleep in Windows 10

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading to Win10 Pro. I have couple of HDD's, power plan setup - turn off HDD after 15 minutes and it doesn't do anything, HDD's are still on. With Win7 I didn't have this problem, HDD's turned off OK. I have checked
    Resource Monitor and nothing is going on with secondary HDD's, no activity.

I do have indexing service turned off.

MB Asus Z97 Pro Wi-Fi - latest drivers, Intel AHCI SATA driver

HDD (SATA3) SSD Samsung EVO 840

HDD (SATA2) - WDC WD20EARS, WDC WD15EADS, ST3500320AS

I searched internet, found bunch of topics related to this problem, but no universal solution. Can you help?

Thank you in advance.

Bohemy, Jul 2, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

No, they don't unless they have built in power saving feature like some do but that's in the USB controller not disk itself but that works independent of OS.

CountMike, Jul 4, 2017
  5. Kol12 Win User
    I just brought a Seagate external and it claims to have it's own power saving features but gives no indication as to how it works. It's likely the sort you mention. Do you know how they work?

Kol12, Jul 4, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Mostly have just a timer that shuts it's motor down after some period of inactivity. The rest has to stay "awake" so it can restart when OS asks for data from it. Windows itself may start it up at any time for maintenance so it's best to turn off auto defrag, indexing or other maintenance services for it. If you could connect it always to same USB port you could maybe also set power saving features for that port if system and BIOS allows it. Had a similar one but WD and drove me bats turning on and off all the time which is not best thing for it's longevity.

CountMike, Jul 4, 2017
  7. Kol12 Win User
    Sorry for the reply, I didn't seem to get a notification to this thread.

A timer, I see, ok.

So the "the rest" is in the usb connection between Windows?

There is a blue led on the enclosure that I guess indicates drive activity. Because I have HWiNFO running all time, if any drives are enabled to be monitored it causes constant disk activity and this is easily visible with the blue led on the Seagate external enclosure. When I un-monitor that drive the blue led remains static.

Still, every time I pickup the enclosure it is vibrating as though the disk is spinning. I will try to leave it for half an hour to an hour to see if it powers down. Unless there is some other moving part in the enclosure you would expect the whole thing to feel dead when powered down right?

I'm a little concerned at the noises/noise level from this drive, being external those noises I guess may be more noticeable but this one clucks and beeps and all sorts. Being that I brought it specifically for image and file backups I need it to be reliable as you could hope for. The noises are a little disconcerting. If it passes everything in S.M.A.R.T is everything usually ok?

Turning the drive on/off in very short periods might not be the greatest idea but at the same time running a backup drive constantly could reduce it's life span also...

Kol12, Jul 11, 2017
  8. CountMike New Member

Drives do tend to be noisy and with external drives can be more noticeable because of smaller housing.
    Turning HDDs on and off or letting them run all the time is "damn if you do, damn if you don't" proposition. They will wear down anyway. Personally, I keep inside drives running all the time and backup drives connected only when I need them.

CountMike, Jul 11, 2017
  9. Kol12 Win User
    Ha fair enough.

I would need to keep this backup drive connected with USB for Macrium Reflect to be able to do it's automatic backups.

Why can't Seagate actually detail how the power saving features work? Looks like I'll have to email them and ask myself! It uses an interesting type of USB cable, it's like a micro USB cable connection but with another small connector next to that.

I have noticed the desk does vibrate sometimes and sometimes not so maybe that's an indication that it's powered down!

Kol12, Jul 11, 2017
  10. Kol12 Win User
    I got a reply from Seagate and if I read correctly they're saying it responds to the Turn off hard disk after settings in Windows power settings as do all other drives.

I noticed at on stage recently that the blue led turned off completely and that the drive did actually feel powered down. I will assume this is the powered down state.

Most of the time the blue led remains on so something in Windows must be keeping it awake. How can I determine what is keeping the drive awake? I know some hardware monitoring programs will keep drives awake while monitoring them but it's not the cause this time...

Kol12, Jul 14, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Automatic maintenance, disk indexing, disk defrag and just plain search will wake any disk. There is one problem with Disk settings in power plan, it's not disk specific, one setting affects all disks. So if for instance OS needs to read from or write to C: all other disks will wake up. As that happens all the time when there is any activity, all disks will wake up. That's the reason I don't sleep them at all, functionality is reduced as it takes some time to wake disk up, it has to spin up, go thru it's POST checks and all that can take some time.
    There maybe one thing to try. Go to Device Manager, find the USB port you plug that drive to and see if you could set Power saving just for that port.

CountMike, Jul 14, 2017
  12. Kol12 Win User
    My other external drive does respond to the turn off after setting in power options and doesn't seem to be affected my C: activity. Are you sure C: activity interferes with the turn hard disk off after setting?

Kol12, Jul 14, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

Yes. that part in power saving menu is for all disks connected.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature? - Similar Threads - powered external HDD's

2. Registry HDD power settings battery vs AC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Registry HDD power settings battery vs AC: Hi everybody, my laptop has a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. After trying all possible drivers, the best behaving one is fine when my PC is plugged in but on battery the bad HDD spindown behaviour comes back. Hence, I am trying to find at least all of the Windows 10...
  3. external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external hdd: Heyo guys! i want to switch from linux to windows but i have 1 little question about my external hard drive. Will it just work fine on windows or do i need to format it first? thanks in advance! submitted by /u/gekkemat [link] [comments]...
  4. External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD: What would happen to the Windows 10 installation on my SSD if I connected an external HDD with Linux installed on it, whilst using Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd/54e8dff5-f3f2-4f6d-8365-d6c9969434cb
  5. laptop's ac power keeps turning off

in Windows 10 Support
    laptop's ac power keeps turning off: Hi, My laptop's battery is no good so I always use the laptop on ac power. It was working fine last night but today it keeps shutting down after a minute or so. I've just noticed the battery icon will start off showing the power plug next to it but then the plug...
  6. External HDD

External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  7. External HDD

External HDD: I have an older Seagate 1 TB external HDD, but my new Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 won't let me open it. It shows up under my computer, but doesn't allow me access; it reads "You don't currently have permission to access this folder". When I click on "continue", it prompts...
  8. switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off

switch to turn HDD/SSD on/off: OK, with installing the new OS old issues come back to life. Here goes the question: can one have a physical switch somewhere on the PC case that can turn a single drive (HDD or SSD) on and off? I did search the internet before posting and several solutions exist, but...
  9. Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off

Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off: Hi, Despite "turn hard disk after" set to 10 minutes (or less for testing) in Power Options, HDDs won't turn off at all. They used to until yesterday. I have made no changes to the system only updated NVidia driver, but I can't tell if the issue started after update or...
  10. Secondary HDD not turning off

Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...