Windows 10: do I actually have to call Microsoft on the phone?

Discus and support do I actually have to call Microsoft on the phone? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; If I want to change the motherboard (essentially: replace the notebook) for the same serial number, do I actually have to call Microsoft on the phone?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nco, Dec 10, 2015.

1. NCO
    nco Win User

do I actually have to call Microsoft on the phone?

If I want to change the motherboard (essentially: replace the notebook) for the same serial number, do I actually have to call Microsoft on the phone? Once, or every time I have anew machine? What's the current state of affairs?

:)

2. What do you have to do to get Cortana to actually track flights?

Never worked for me here in the UK. Always works with Google Now.

There doesn't seem to be any Microsoft documentation on this. All it seems to rely on is saying it reads your email!

Not mine.

Steve

ponsaelius, Dec 10, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    What do you have to do to get Cortana to actually track flights?

Cortana Alpha is useless and forced on regions outside of the US and UK. We don't get the beta for whatever reason.

Entegy, Dec 10, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

If you have a transferable Windows license and you change your motherboard (or make other significant hardware changes) you'll have to call them (every time in my experience).

Type slui 4 in run box and follow the instructions. Generally you'll only "talk" to a robot and type in the long string of numbers slui 4 gives you on your keypad and your code will be returned. You can use Skype and it gives an option to get the number back on your smartphone (but I've not tried that so not sure how it works).

It doesn't take long.

5. NCO
    nco Win User
    @lx07

How painful or painless is this experience of calling them? Then what exactly happens - from a purely technical perspective? You have your Windows 10 ISO with your valid key which you can't install on your new machine. You call them on the phone -> [Magic happens] -> then all of a sudden, you are able to install Windows 10 on your new machine.

6. damocles Win User
    I have had to do this after bricking the bios on one of my computers a few years ago. I simply called them after I replaced the motherboard and told them my windows key, it was a long time ago, from memory they guided me through a process and asked me to type in a new key. Took less then 5 minutes and there was no remote access or anything like that

damocles, Dec 12, 2015
  7. lx07 Win User
    With 10 if your key isn't accepted on install you would click on "I don't have a key" 10 would install but not be activated.

You run slui 4 and enter the Installation ID shown on the screen (9 blocks of 6 numbers - it is not the same as your Windows key). This normally returns a Confirmation ID automatically and you type it in. Sometimes it will not and you are put through to a real person and you can explain your situation to them.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. do I actually have to call Microsoft on the phone? - Similar Threads - actually call Microsoft

2. Phone call by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone call by Microsoft: Hello,Yesterday I received a phone call from the UK. Didn’t answer and a minute later I received another phone call from a local number.The person, identified as Miller, said that he was a microsoft technician and asked me to write down a special code. That code was the proof...
  3. Phone call by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone call by Microsoft: Hello,Yesterday I received a phone call from the UK. Didn’t answer and a minute later I received another phone call from a local number.The person, identified as Miller, said that he was a microsoft technician and asked me to write down a special code. That code was the proof...
  4. Phone call by Microsoft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How do I actually call the Microsoft helpdesk? Do they even have one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I actually call the Microsoft helpdesk? Do they even have one?: How do I actually call the Microsoft helpdesk? Do they even have one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-actually-call-the-microsoft-helpdesk-do/bf534411-60ae-4ce7-8417-11ea5d9f0d42
  6. How do I actually call the Microsoft helpdesk? Do they even have one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I actually call the Microsoft helpdesk? Do they even have one?: How do I actually call the Microsoft helpdesk? Do they even have one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-actually-call-the-microsoft-helpdesk-do/bf534411-60ae-4ce7-8417-11ea5d9f0d42
  7. Microsoft phone call - Scam?

Microsoft phone call - Scam?: Split from this thread. buy my son and laptop and someone from Microsoft today phone tell someone got is account and I got pay £ 200 to change is i p address account is the right do i pay it. IT ON A NEW LAPTOP HE HAD FOR CHRISTMAS . Can someone help please...
  8. Microsoft Phone Call

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Phone Call: I have had 3 calls this morning on a recorded voice that my microsoft license will be locked in the next 24 hours. When I press 1 as indicated the call hangs up. Is this truly a microsoft call?...
  9. Microsoft phone call?

Microsoft phone call?: So I got a call from some guy with a thick accent that I could hardly understand today. As near as I could figure he was calling from Microsoft about some sort of security violation and he wanted me to go to some website that would allow him to remotely access my computer....
  10. Phone-call from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Phone-call from Microsoft?: Yesterday I received a phone-call from "Microsoft" about a so-called computer problem. The caller ID was 0011055474272. I disconnected because I assumed it was a scam. I do not believe Microsoft makes personal calls to users or consumers. For this post I chose "Windows...