Windows 10: Do I have to use "Classic Shell" to get the "Classic View"?

Discus and support Do I have to use "Classic Shell" to get the "Classic View"? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First time 10 user here and want to switch to the classic start menu view. I was under the impression that 10 added this option back and one could... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kwitel, Apr 19, 2016.

1. kwitel Win User

Do I have to use "Classic Shell" to get the "Classic View"?

First time 10 user here and want to switch to the classic start menu view.
    I was under the impression that 10 added this option back and one could switch over to it?

Or do I have to download a 3rd party app that will allow me to make these changes?

Thanks in advance!

:)

kwitel, Apr 19, 2016

2. Is it RIP for My Documents in Win10? edit: Adding saved Docs to Win10

Don't know where that came from - Classic Shell is not a Microsoft product - it's an open source solution.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

Gordon B-P, Apr 19, 2016
  3. Celeste41 Win User
    How to see Recent Documents in Windows 10 Start Menu

You are correct. Classic shell is great and solved the recent items issue BUT I just became the first member of my team to get Windows 10 in a large corporation. I have admin rights and I am waiting for someone to tell me it is ok. I have Classic shell
    on all my personal machines...!

Celeste41, Apr 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, The Win 10 start menu is (my opinion) a disaster as far as representing a traditional categorised start menu with subfolders. It removes the subfolders, and doesn't even show all the items in my start menu.

The left side can only be configured with difficulty- indirectly by accessing the underlying folders.

This is one thing MS has dismally failed with.

I use Classic Shell (free) - and I'm very happy with that.
    I can also launch the win 10 menu with a hot key combination, and even launch universal apps from a folder in Classic Shell.
    And Classic Shell can expand columns across the screen if you wish, or behave like a Win 7 start menu.
    It also has a search box, whose search range is, of course, configurable (start menu, internet, universal apps, settings.....)

There are other options of course.

I've also taken the opportunity to add the Win 7 orb.

dalchina, Apr 19, 2016
Thema:

1. Do I have to use "Classic Shell" to get the "Classic View"? - Similar Threads - Classic Shell Classic

2. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  4. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: what is the purpose of classic shell ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-shell/65de2760-eb0a-4c92-9b25-76aadb23625d
  5. Classic Shell to Classic Start

Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  6. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: 1.classic shell needs to configure itself 2. an administrator has blocked you from running this ap. I have an HP notebook and keep getting the above messages every time I use my laptop and I would like to continue to use classic shell, and have tried unsuccessfully to sort...
  7. How do I enable the classic view or classic shell in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I enable the classic view or classic shell in windows 10?: How do I enable the classic view or classic shell in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-enable-the-classic-view-or-classic-shell/683addbb-e928-4e17-ad81-95d154902c67
  8. Help with Classic Shell.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help with Classic Shell.: Hi guys, I've been using Classic Shell for a long time now, I believe several months if not the whole year. Yesterday, I got a major update for my system. Since then (Build 10586) there is one feature of CS that has been not working very well (I guess) and I cannot find...
  9. Is anybody using Classic Shell ?

Is anybody using Classic Shell ?: Was classic shell retained when upgrading to 16299 ? ( 16299 is also called the FALL upgrade.) 95875
  10. classic shell

classic shell: Well it doesn't work on W10 9975