Windows 10: Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS?

Discus and support Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to upgrade from 7 to 10 so that I won't lose the chance of upgrading my laptop to a newer version of Windows for free, although I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by yarakkurek, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS?

I want to upgrade from 7 to 10 so that I won't lose the chance of upgrading my laptop to a newer version of Windows for free, although I cannot practically make this change until an important piece of software I use daily for work will start supporting Windows 10, which might take a couple of years from the looks of it. Therefore I have to revert back immediately. Will I get to keep my Windows 10 license if I do this, and maybe upgrade when the software I use fully supports the OS? I have a retail key (not OEM) and I've only ever used it on one PC.

Also, do I have to use the built-in revert system or can I just flash back a previous backup image of my hdd?

:)

yarakkurek, Mar 2, 2016

2. Will I lose my license if I choose to 'Get Insider Builds'?

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You may refer the article below by Microsoft Community Moderator J W Stuart to see if it answers to your query.

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised July 23rd, 2015

How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature - Revised August 17th, 2016

Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with windows, we'll be glad to assists you.

Mann_Manohar, Mar 2, 2016
  3. Lvaneede Win User
    Will I lose my maps license if I update the firmware on my E63?

I just want to make sure that I wont lose the year license that I purchased for Ovi Maps. If I make a pull backup of the phone onto my computer with PC Suite and then restore it after the firmware is upgraded, will it still be there?

If not, how do I make it so that it will be there?

Thanks for the help.

Lvaneede, Mar 2, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS?

Yes. After the initial activation you have a permanent digital entitlement stored on Microsoft Activation servers. Subsequent installs of the same edition and version of Windows 10 on the same computer will retrieve the digital entitlement for activation.

You can go back to your previous OS any way that you choose to. If you clean install it from install media, however, you may be required to provide the product key for it.

NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2016
  5. Thanks for the answer!

yarakkurek, Mar 2, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    As you have a retail key, use showkeyplus to extract key from registry before you update if you do not know it.

You can certainly restore an old image backup, but recommend you make an up-to-date one. Actually (IMO) this is much better than reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch, as it can take an eternity to do the zillions of updates that happen when ypou reinstall.

Re. old software - you could run Windows 7 in a virtual machine, or create a dual boot pc (but you would need a separate licence, or accept you have to periodically reinstall Windows 7 every so often (you can rearm the trial licence legally up to 4 times giving you up to 120 days each time you reinstall).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS?

1. Do I lose my license if I revert back to a previous OS? - Similar Threads - lose license revert

2. I want my previous desk top back

in Windows 10 Customization
    I want my previous desk top back: I want my previous desk top back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-my-previous-desk-top-back/ac923d55-59c9-45c8-99d9-4c3e89302c1a
  3. I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I need to upgrade my mechanical hdd with ssd How do I migrate the Windows OS with losing...: I intend to upgrade my mechanical hdd to a proper 480 ssd, I have genuine windows installled on my PC and my laptop does not have a dual drive. How do I migrate my OS? Please Help! I don't wanna lose my licence....
  4. How do I revert back to default .sav application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I revert back to default .sav application: Hello! *Smile As I was curious about what a game save file looks like, I tried to opened a .sav file (backup of the actual save file of course) with the Notepad. Unfortunately, I forgot to tick off "set default app". Now, all of the .sav files (for all my games that use...
  5. How do I revert back to default .sav application

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I revert back to default .sav application: Hello! *Smile As I was curious about what a game save file looks like, I tried to opened a .sav file (backup of the actual save file of course) with the Notepad. Unfortunately, I forgot to tick off "set default app". Now, all of the .sav files (for all my games that use...
  6. Can I revert back?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I revert back?: Hi. I recently had my Windows 10 Education install destroyed by some malware. after Malwarebytes asked me to reboot, I did as followed, and I was prompted wit the message: "Operating system not found." Seeing nothing else to do, I installed Windows 10 home. The contents were...
  7. I cannot revert to previous restore points

I cannot revert to previous restore points: I am running. Windows 10 Home (1809). For a few days now I have been getting a blue screen error at startup, specifically "page fault in non-paged area" . I have not had this problem until the system updated to 1809. To fix it I thought I would use a restore point that...
  8. Will I lose my license?

Will I lose my license?: So, I currently have a Windows 10 Pro license upgraded from Windows 8.1. If I buy a new SSD, and install Windows 10 using the same CD-Key which my current Windows 10 has (no other hardware change, only SSD) will that work or will I have to buy a new license? 59237
  9. How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version

How do I revert back to an earlier Windows version: Since the upgrade to Windows 10 I have had continuous problems. Windows Live mail will barely function at all - just freezes every time I try to open it. IE 11 continually shows script errors despite disabling script debugging and I cannot print anything from the internet...
  10. How do i revert back to default .lua application

in Windows 10 Support
    How do i revert back to default .lua application: Hello. So i've recently downloaded Civ 6, so I decided to look up some mods for it. Because it would make it abit more interesting. I had a mod that would require me to manually change some of the text in the file to my own liking. You probably guessed it by now, I...