Windows 10: Do I need a better CPU or GPU?

Discus and support Do I need a better CPU or GPU? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. I have been playing alot of VR the last few days, and Im experiencing abit stuttering when Im playing some games. So my question is: It it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Joakia, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Joakia Win User

Do I need a better CPU or GPU?

Hello. I have been playing alot of VR the last few days, and Im experiencing abit stuttering when Im playing some games. So my question is: It it caused by my GPU or my CPU? I took a picture below, showing CPU and GPU usage. Im not an expert in this, so any kind of help would have been greatly appreciated *Smile

Basic specs:
    AMD FX 8350 CPU (4000 MHz) Not overclocked
    AMD 290x Gigabyte Windforce OC
    8 GB DDR 3 RAM

:)

Joakia, Oct 1, 2016

2. I am considering of buying new CPU. Do I need a clean instalation of my windows 10 after installing new CPU?

* Original Title: Windows installation

Hello dear community.

Well i am considering of buying new CPU in my case AMD FX 8370 E 8 core processor .

My question is do I need a clean instalation of my windows 10 after installing new CPU .Will old and new drivers of AMD cpu interfere will it make a confusion one with other .

Thanks in advance

MatkoGlučina, Oct 1, 2016
  3. I am considering of buying new CPU. Do I need a clean instalation of my windows 10 after installing new CPU?

Changing the cpu/ processor might invalidate the current activation and you'll have to buy win-10

It might also invalidate the original win-8 or 7 activation key

So be prepared to dish out an extra 140-199.99 for another edition of win-10.

ThrashZone, Oct 1, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

What resolution are you playing at? And what about quality settings (Antialias, anisotropic filtering, shadow quality, etc)?

eLPuSHeR, Oct 2, 2016
  5. Joakia Win User
    My virtual reality headset (HTC VIVE) is running at 2160x1200 and should run in 90Hz for the best experience. There is not so many graphical settings in VR games. The only thing I can really adjust is supersampling which is at 1.0 (standard).

Joakia, Oct 2, 2016
  6. Eksy61 Win User
    There's one definitive way to find out if your CPU is overloaded: Use the Performance Monitor tool, which you can start from Control Panel\Administrative Tools.

The Performance Monitor tool provides a vast amount of information on your running computer, more than you get from Task Manager or its Resource Monitor. When you first launch it, it tracks your CPU percentage utilization as the default counter. But you can have it track other counters.

First, throw a typical load on the CPU that you're worried might be overloading it.

Then, in Windows 10's Performance Monitor, click on the green "plus" icon to add a new counter to track. Then in the list of counters, select System\Processor Queue Length and click Add>> and then OK. The Processor Queue Length is the number of threads waiting to be serviced by your CPU.

A rule of thumb is that the Processor Queue Length should not constantly exceed 10 times the number of cores of your CPU. For example, for a 6-core CPU, the Processor Queue Length should not exceed 60 on a sustained basis. If it does, your CPU may be overloaded.

Eksy61, Oct 2, 2016
  7. Joakia Win User
    Did I do it right? The stuttering was very intense at this point.
    Do I need a better CPU or GPU? [​IMG]

Joakia, Oct 2, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Looks like you did it right, and also looks like the load fails to violate Eksy61's formula (sustained 10X core count). When you run the performance tab in Task Manager, do you see anything maxing out there when the system stutters? It could still be CPU bound, but it might be memory or I/O bound as well.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 2, 2016
  9. Joakia Win User
    No, nothing seems to reach max. Everything is pretty far from max. Maybe its just the game that is bad optimized? I dont know. My friend has a PC almost identical like mine, but only with a Rx 480 instead of a 290x (almost same performance) and 32 gb ram instead of 8gb, and he can feel stuttering too.

Joakia, Oct 2, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    This is also a possibility, especially given that your friend's rig has a newer graphics card and 4X RAM when compared to yours. Have you tried other VR games to see if you get the same symptoms from them, too? That might be a good next troubleshooting step: no point trying to fix something that ain't broke!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 2, 2016
  11. Joakia Win User
    Thats true *Smile I have tried more games, even a game called Onward that i had to refund because of this problem. But in that game, it was MUCH worse. I dont know if I could blame the GPU or CPU. Hmmm.. *Think

Joakia, Oct 2, 2016
  12. Do you have an SSD for the system hard drive? Could be disk access halting the system causing the stuttering. Are the games very memory intensive? You also could be running out of RAM causing the system to page to the C drive slowing and stuttering. Look at the memory tab in Task Manager.

Indianatone, Oct 2, 2016
  13. Joakia Win User

I have an SSD for the system hard drive. So I dont think thats the problem. And Im pretty sure its not the ram. As I said, my friend had 32 gb ram and had the same stuttering as me when playing VR.

Joakia, Oct 2, 2016
  14. Joakia Win User
    Im only using like 50-60% when in game, which is not much

Joakia, Oct 2, 2016
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Do the game makers specify minimum or recommended PC configurations? If so, how does your rig compare? It might just be lagging because it's not up to the task. No sense trying to fix something that's incapable anyway, so please check that out if you haven't already. VR is pretty demanding so it might just not be workable for your 3-4 year old rig.
    Please let us know what you find out.
    Best of luck!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Do I need a better CPU or GPU? - Similar Threads - need better CPU

2. Lenova C940 15. I need for help. GPU/CPU..?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenova C940 15. I need for help. GPU/CPU..?: Hello,I hope someone has insight into what is causing this issue and how to resolve it.I have tried all possible troubleshooting steps.The problem:It began approximately two weeks ago while playing a game.The game started lagging and disconnected me from the internet.This...
  3. Lenova C940 15. I need for help. GPU/CPU..?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenova C940 15. I need for help. GPU/CPU..?: Hello,I hope someone has insight into what is causing this issue and how to resolve it.I have tried all possible troubleshooting steps.The problem:It began approximately two weeks ago while playing a game.The game started lagging and disconnected me from the internet.This...
  4. Do I need a new gpu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need a new gpu?: My pc will restart/crash when playing games and when I’m updating something. I took it in and they did tests and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong but then I showed this picture and they said my gpu is failing. I just Need answers please....
  5. Do I need a new gpu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do I need a new gpu?: My pc will restart/crash when playing games and when I’m updating something. I took it in and they did tests and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong but then I showed this picture and they said my gpu is failing. I just Need answers please....
  6. Do more CPU cores mean better performance?

in Windows 10 News
    Do more CPU cores mean better performance?: [ATTACH]CPU is said to be the brain of the computer. But now, in 2021, this statement is half true. It’s not only the brain of your computer but also the Mitochondria (the powerhouse of the cell). Its power defines what kind of games you can play. But, what defines power? Do...
  7. Do I need a better monitor for the Witcher 3?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Do I need a better monitor for the Witcher 3?: I think the specs on my computer are fine for this game (AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 8-Core Processor, Radeon RX550, 32 RAM, 3.6 GHz). But, in terms of resolution quality and gameplay, will I need a better monitor than my HP 2511x?
  8. Need help with GPU and CPU errors

Need help with GPU and CPU errors: I bought a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti recently to replace my integrated GPU. It presented red dots all over my screen when connected so I bought a new AMD cpu to try and fix the issue. Now neither of the video cards work and the monitor says No Input Detected. I have tried 2...
  9. Need to replace cpu and gpu

Need to replace cpu and gpu: I have a AMD-A20-5800k APU processor. This is a cpu and gpu in one. I need to upgrade so to do that would I need to just remove this processor and add a new gpu/cpu? Thanks for all help
  10. I need a better browser

in Browsers and Email
    I need a better browser: Specifically, I need a browser that can send pages (not just URLs) by e-mail. It would be nice if it saved pages in MFT or similar one-piece formats, too. Any suggestions? 84395