Windows 10: Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?

Discus and support Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have them both, and I'm beginning to get faith in indexing and I wonder if I need to keep the Windows 7's back up regime. The only problem I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by chuckiechan, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?

I have them both, and I'm beginning to get faith in indexing and I wonder if I need to keep the Windows 7's back up regime.

The only problem I have with indexing is it seems to keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger - and I don't know what to do.

My entire data drive*(E) is ~ 100Gigs, yet my file history drive is almost 300Gigs.

*I have a SSD for programs (C), and one data drive E, and one partitioned removable drive F & H
    Data drive E is backed up by File History to H on my removable drive.
    My Win 7 Back up of E goes to F on my removable drive

So my issue is:
    If you had a choice to make would you keep File History, or Windows 7's back up system?
    And why is my file history getting so large?

Thanks in advance...

:)

chuckiechan, Jan 18, 2018

2. Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

I have found the way out eventually. Replace bootmgr of windows 7 with that of windows 10. Just this!

Do you want to know why? read below;

thing that bootmgr do is that Bootmgr finds the winloader.exe in sys32 and executes it. when you install win 10 while there is a win 7 in your hard drive, win 10 replace win 7's bootmgr with a new one and keeps a copy in win 10's sys32. This bootmgr can
    find winloaders of win7 & win10 and execute them depends on selected windows for startup. Therefore for recovery of windows 10 we must replace the bootmgr of win 7 with bootmgr of win 10. How to do? read below;

Go to safe mode. Change the bootmgr of both win7 and win 10 from system file to usual ones by "iReset" software. Now you can do the replacement.

kiya the king, Jan 18, 2018
  3. figureguy Win User
    Windows Backup and Restore skipping files when writing to external hard drive.

Thanks for responding. Actually, I am using Backup and Restore. I have been using that since before I upgraded Win 7 Pro to 10 Pro. I haven't used file history, or Win 10's backup feature. I just always have used that. I didn't know if I could just
    delete the files from the registry. If not, if I used File History, say, how do I stop those files from trying to back up also?

figureguy, Jan 18, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?

That is normal. File History keeps multiple different versions of your documents from different dates. You can manage how much history you want it to keep.

Delete Older Versions of File History in Windows 10

Change how Long to Keep File History in Windows 10

To be honest, the more types of backups you keep the better. It isn't really an 'either/or' choice - you can use both. You can never have too many backups *Smile

'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' is a deprecated feature in the Fall Creators Update. It may be removed in later versions of Windows 10.

Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

There are better solutions to the two functions Backup and Restore provides, backing up your files and making a system image to restore a working system to your disk , should it fail or become corrupted. Most here recommend Macrium Reflect (free).

5. lx07 Win User
    Without a doubt File History. If you delete some file and backup your system the deleted file will not be there.

If you deleted all your tax records 2 years ago where will they be? In your latest backup (Windows 7 style or Macrium)? Nope they will not.

They will be in your backup from 2 years ago (assuming you remembered when you deleted them and restored the correct backup). Alternatively you can just flick back in time through File History until you find them and the fact it was 26 months not 24 doesn't matter.

Both would be the best answer but given a choice, File History. It is trivial to reinstall Windows and only takes 20 minutes.

Just make sure your file History drive isn't permanently connected so if you get ransomeware it isn't corrupted too.

6. I try to keep my back up drive unplugged, but do you know of a way it could be disabled in device manager, and started up automatically only when it's time to back up when the computer is idle, and the chance of getting ransom ware remote (since no one is operating the computer).

And thanks to all for the advice. I'll probably dump Win 7 back up, remove the partition and dedicate the drive to File History but shorten the retention period if it heads for a Tetrabyte.

7. RolandJS Win User
    "...but do you know of a way it could be disabled in device manager, and started up automatically..." You have to both disable and re-enable said divice within device manager. I know of no automatic software way to re-enable that external device.

RolandJS, Jan 18, 2018
  8. Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?

I'm sure if it was easy and effective, someone would have done it!

9. lx07 Win User
    Better to physically disconnect - anything you can do programmatically so, potentially, could malware. File History will store changes and flush them to backup disk automatically when you connect it.

10. one more question. If I used Win 7 to make a system image (C drive), will I be able to load it using Win 10?

Btw, I have no data on the C drive, only the O/S and programs, so this should be the entire image, with data backed up by File History. That is my new plan.

chuckiechan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup?

1. Do I need Both Win 10's File History and Win 7's Backup? - Similar Threads - need Both 10's

2. win shift S .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    win shift S .: 10 . prtsc win shift S . . . ip mapping . . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%ED%99%94%EB%A9%B4%EC%BA%A1%EC%B3%90%EB%82%98-win/8299e0a5-b36a-4cd3-8a45-c4c757d20c3d
  3. win shift S .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win shift S .: 10 . prtsc win shift S . . . ip mapping . . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%ED%99%94%EB%A9%B4%EC%BA%A1%EC%B3%90%EB%82%98-win/8299e0a5-b36a-4cd3-8a45-c4c757d20c3d
  4. win shift S .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. How long a history does Win 10's clipboard history save?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long a history does Win 10's clipboard history save?: Hello! Usage of a clipboard manager has always been a big thing for me. It improves productivity and overall, just makes some types of repetitive work a lot of easier. Till today, I have always used Ditto. Then I discovered that Windows 10 has the same functionality. Not...
  6. File History Backup Win 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History Backup Win 10: I have read many articles over the last 10 years extolling the use of the built in Windows File History facility. Many years ago whilst using Windows 7 I became suspicious of its value as an effective file backup regime when I could not find a few files in the history backup....
  7. Win 10 Backup (7)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Backup (7): Hi, I'm getting a message that Backup skipped two files. I checked the paths and they are invalid. Since I cannot drill down to these two locations in File Manager, I wonder how Backup is selecting them, that is, where is Backup getting this information to attempt to...
  8. Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?

Use File History or Win 7 Backup & Restore?: I've been using Backup & Restore on some Win 7 systems but now I have added a new Win 10 PC (from HP). It's not entirely clear to me why I would use the Win 10 File History facility versus Win 7 Backup & Restore. File History looks like a partial backup. I'd prefer a full...
  9. Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible?

Need to restore files to Win 10 from Win 7 backup-is this possible?: My folder is: MediaID.bin It has all my documents, photos, etc. from a PC that I converted to Win 10 and gave a family member. But I can't seem to get the file to open on my own Win 10 Pro laptop. Is there a program, command or process that will allow to restore all my...
  10. win 10 o/s

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 o/s: Updated win 10 today. How do I find out what version I have , does not show in lower right hand corner. Last install was 10162--could this be 10240 or the pre-release of win 10? 9088