Windows 10: Do I need "Distributed Link Tracking Client"?

Discus and support Do I need "Distributed Link Tracking Client"? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Read up on it, cant quite make it out if it's to my disadvantage (and how) in every day Computer life if I have it disabled. I had to disable it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by loungebob, Jun 15, 2015.

1. loungebob Win User

Do I need "Distributed Link Tracking Client"?

Read up on it, cant quite make it out if it's to my disadvantage (and how) in every day Computer life if I have it disabled.

I had to disable it because it was the reason I could not safely eject external drives (in this case SATA drives connected to the USB 3 port) in Windows 10 since that service was blocking the removal process by keeping an active open handle to the hidden System Volume Information Folder and the tracking.log file therein.

Disabling it also finally allowed me to delete the SVI Folders on those external drives.

Does anyone have that service disabled for a longer period of time and can feedback their experience?

Also, does anyone know how to really really disable the Recovery Bin on such external drives? I can delete them but Windows just restores Recovery Bin functionality. I dont need it there, and I dont want it.
    The Recycle Bin Properties (dont move files to the....) for those kind of drives doesnt work, I assume the enclosure controller Signals Windows what kind of hdd it is and Windows acts accordingly.

:)

loungebob, Jun 15, 2015

2. Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking

Thanks Deepika - Done, for anyone following see ==>>
    Technet - Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking

I'm so out of touch with MS - I thought Technet was dead, or maybe that was MSDN - the other day I actually went into a MS Shop to get something sorted with Hotmail, they were very helpful - but...

RP

RightPaddock, Jun 15, 2015
  3. Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking

Under Win 7 I am almost certain that the DLT service DID NOT repair LNK files if the target was on a removable drive!

But under Win 10 it appears that the DLT service DOES repair LNK files if the target is on a removable drive!

Is anyone aware if and where this is documented - it may have changed in Win 8 which I skipped. Couldn't see anything obvious in a Google or Bing search

BTW - this is not a complaint, just want to know what's going on - I'm leaning on this as support for my assertion re DLT behaviour under Win 7 ==>>

Distributed Link Tracking and Object Identifiers

Am I misremembering or imagining things ?

Its so hard to get accurate info on issues that have no glitz . bling, baubles, or glamorous eye candy. Sometimes I think MS only caters to large corporates and know nothing journalists.

RightPaddock, Jun 15, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

No, you don't "need" it, but some functionality won't work right if you disable it.

What the DLTC does is keep track of shortcuts. If, for example, in your start menu, you have a shortcut to an application or folder, then you move that folder to another location, the DLTC will update the location in the shortcut so it will still be accessible. Without this service, the link becomes broken and you would have to track down the location and re-create the link.

Mystere, Jun 15, 2015
  5. loungebob Win User
    That's it? I can live with that.

I would leave it on, but I havent found a way for it to not lock up my external drives.

loungebob, Jun 15, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Also, apparently the AVG anti-virus app uses the Distributed Link Tracking Client for scanning, so disabling it if you have AVG may be problematic.

Mystere, Jun 15, 2015
  7. loungebob Win User
    Nah, ESET.

Can't believe they cant program that service in a more clever way in Windows 10. It's not like SATA enclosures hooked up through USB are a novelty nowadays.

loungebob, Jun 15, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

You have to be very careful when disabling system services as many do more than the documentation states. You won't find complete documentation anywhere.

I have had unpleasant consequences from disabling system services in the past and have no desire to repeat them.

LMiller7, Jun 15, 2015
  9. loungebob Win User
    Thanks, I know. But in this case, at least for now and as far as I can see, the undocumented and documented services provided by this service are way offset by the disadvantages it does.

I wish MS would finally understand that it is my hardware and I want it to run and be managed the way I want. Not the way they think it should be.

loungebob, Jun 16, 2015
  10. caperjack Win User
    maybe Linux would be more suited for you ,A lot, if not to much user input need to use it ,,, I'm just kidding of course

caperjack, Jun 16, 2015
  11. loungebob Win User
    Yeah I know, I run Linux and OS X too. But to be honest, I love my Windows. It takes me a couple of weeks after every major release to get it exactly the way I want but when it is there, I'm, most productive and fastest on Windows.
    And dont get me started on Apple and OS X and their thinking to know what's best for EVERYONE.

loungebob, Jun 16, 2015
  12. loungebob Win User
    Well, build 10159 solved the safely eject issue for me so I'm closing this as solved.

loungebob, Jun 30, 2015
  13. caperjack Win User

there you go ,they must have listened to you .. happy computing

caperjack, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do I need "Distributed Link Tracking Client"? - Similar Threads - need Distributed Link

2. how to do drive distribution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to do drive distribution: how to do drive distribution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-do-drive-distribution/d41d00ad-7034-4c7e-8a82-2bbec8884588
  3. how to do drive distribution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to do drive distribution: how to do drive distribution https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-do-drive-distribution/d41d00ad-7034-4c7e-8a82-2bbec8884588
  4. need help tracking down a bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    need help tracking down a bug: once a minute, something on my computer is causing a GPU usage spike which causes the computer to be unresponsive for a few seconds, in all apps. tried reinstalling drivers thinking that was the issue, and even tried installing an older nvidia card instead of the amd one,...
  5. eM Client Email Distribution Lists

in Browsers and Email
    eM Client Email Distribution Lists: I recently started to use the eM Client email app for my Gmail. Works well most of the time. Finally discovered how to create Distribution Lists but have not been able to find a way to edit them or to delete them. Any help would be appreciated. 161459
  6. Do I need Microsoft Store to download games? Is there other gaming client?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do I need Microsoft Store to download games? Is there other gaming client?: I have been unable to fix the Microsoft store Code: 0x80131500 as many other people and due to that I'm trying to find a client like a Steam etc but no luck. Im particularly looking for Forza Horizon 4, are there any options?...
  7. Tracking computer time for billing clients by the hour

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tracking computer time for billing clients by the hour: I am looking for a simple "switch on; switch off" application to log time spent on the computer on work projects/clients - similar to attorney billable hours....
  8. How do I Track Packages in Outlook?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I Track Packages in Outlook?: So I guess Microsoft decided to kill the package tracking functionality in Cortana, and we're just supposed to rely on Outlook mail and calendar to do it now. But in addition to the fact that there is no way to add a package manually, I see literally no evidence of this...
  9. Links not working in any mail client.

in Browsers and Email
    Links not working in any mail client.: I tried in MS mail and outlook to click on links and none of them go to any browser that I use, (Edge, FireFox or Chrome. The links are there the way they should show but no action when I click on them. 36382
  10. Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Distributed Link Tracking: Under Win 7 I am almost certain that the DLT service DID NOT repair LNK files if the target was on a removable drive! But under Win 10 it appears that the DLT service DOES repair LNK files if the target is on a removable drive! Is anyone aware if and where this is...