Windows 10: Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD?

Discus and support Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone. Me again :-) I have another question: I recently replaced my primary HD (gave up the ghost) and decided to go with a SSD this time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RadCazz, Nov 24, 2017.

1. RadCazz Win User

Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD?

Hello everyone. Me again Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD? :)
    I have another question:

I recently replaced my primary HD (gave up the ghost) and decided to go with a SSD this time (and let me tell ya, my comp boots up sooo much faster now).

Anyway, I use a program called, "BoostSpeed" that optimizes the SSD. I also use Win10's defrag app. Moreover, I'm constantly downloading/copying/deleting/moving & creating files -> so the drive gets a good work out, I think.

Do I really need to use programs like BoostSpeed and Win10 defrag? How frequently should I run these apps?

I think what contributed to my HD crashing was constantly running programs like Defraggler & CCleaner's "Wipe Free Space."

After jumping in and paying a hefty sum on a 1 TB SSD, I want to extend the life of it for as long as possible!

Thank you.

:)

RadCazz, Nov 24, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

optimize system reserved in windows 10

System folders and files do not need defragging. It is personal files and programs that are in everyday use and moved often that need defragging. Win 10 takes care of defragging without any user input. With the increase in the use of Solid State Drives
    which can be damaged by normal defragging, this is a good thing.

mlg63, Nov 24, 2017
  3. Windows 10

I went to defrag a slow pc running Windows 10. Went to properties of disc c: the system hard drive says it Need a optimization (50% fragmented) when I went to optimize it it sped through it all and nothing changed. All the others defragged. So I reset
    the computer to fa Tory state. It's still fragmented, and still will not defrag. What do I do or do I need to do anything.

05wildcard13, Nov 24, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

No,

moreover you should not defrag SSD if you want to extend its life, there is no fragmented ssd it works in a different way.
    don't know "BoostSpeed" but for performance verify TRIM is enabled, that shoul be enough.

roy111, Nov 24, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    No - ssds are not defragged only trimmed. This is done automatically by Windowx 10 on aweekly basis.

Re. Life of ssd - modern ssd last much much much longer than eaerly ssds. Ignore any bs you read how to extend write life, and just enjoy using it.

cereberus, Nov 24, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    If you go to the Windows 10 Defrager you will see it now says Optimize a drive. You only need to Optimize (Defrag) an SSD drive once and never again. You should not use any 3rd party programs like BoostSpeed.

spunk, Nov 24, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    If you have any third party defraggers, it's probably best to uninstall them so you don't accidentally run them or they schedule it themselves.

swarfega, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD?

Exactly what ssd do you have?

Jack

Layback Bear, Nov 24, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    How is this relevant?

cereberus, Nov 24, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is false information that there is no fragmented SSD. SSDs do get fragmented. It's just that fragmentation on an SSD has no noticeable affect on it's performance.

What is this "Optimize (Defrag) an SSD drive once and never again?" The user can run Optimization (which is TRIM, not defragging) as much as they want to manually. It won't really improve performance any, but it won't hurt anything either because Windows is going to run TRIM automatically anyway, and before storage cells that hold deleted data in them can accept new data they must be reset first, and that is what the TRIM function does - resets storage cells with deleted data.

So far, @cereberus has come the closest. Uninstall any programs that offer to Optimize the SSD. All that should be done is the TRIM function run periodically, which Windows does in the background anyway. And, yes, Windows also defrags the SSD periodically as well - but it does it not nearly as often and for a completely different reason than why it is done on a HDD. Windows defrags an SSD once a month or so to reset the database that is keeping track of the file fragments within the file system so that the filesystem itself doesn't crash because that database has a limited size and can only keep track of a finite number of fragments - but it is absolutely NOTHING that the user must do manually.

For some reason I can't post a link to the article without getting the entire article.....

Let's try this one:
    The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    That old Scott Hansleman chestnut post is rather disengenous - you would actually have to do a phemonenal amount of writing and severely defrag the filesystem to really need to do defragging. Mortal users never get anyway near the limit - hell people turn off defragging altogether and never get issues.

However your point is totally valid - even if windows does it, it is automatic and user needs to do nothing.

In total summary - do nothing, Windows does it all for you.

Same goes for paging - I see so many garbage posts on other forums telling user to set size manually, and move it from ssd to an hdd to minimise write cycles.

It is garbage because with system compression, much less paging is done, also ssd as I said earlier are much more resilient. A modern ssd will outlast an hdd in terms of disk errors. Failure of the interface controller electronics is a more likely cause of death and odds of that is same for ssd as hdd.

cereberus, Nov 24, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What @cereberus posted 100%. I just can't give it a like until I spread some more around!

NavyLCDR, Nov 24, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

I can live with that *chuckle.

cereberus, Nov 24, 2017
  14. roy111 Win User
    Since we're splitting the hair*Smile:

The word false has a negative connotation, you can surely correct me and explain me that it's wrong, but i was talking sensu lato,
    what i mean is that there is no fragmentation in SSD, simply because they work in a different way, i also think that fragmented SSD not only they do not suffer of fragmentation but they can actually work better.

With fragmentation i mean:

Fragmentation (computing) - Wikipedia:

In computer storage, fragmentation is a phenomenon in which storage space is used inefficiently, reducing capacity or performance and often both.

So i think that my answer is not false, bu instead a good hint.

If i'm wrong i'm happy to learn.

roy111, Nov 24, 2017
  15. It matters because some manufactures of ssd's have their own tool box that takes care of all the needed maintenance. It works quite well on Intel ssd's. I would not suggest using it on other brands of ssd's. That is why it's relevant.

Knowing what ssd's are being used could be helpful. Have a nice day.

Such as Intel and their ssd ToolBox.
    Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD? [​IMG]

Layback Bear, Nov 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Do I Need to Periodically Defragment a SSD? - Similar Threads - Need Periodically Defragment

2. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  3. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should i defragment an SSD?: my laptop now is slower than 1 month ago. In today, when i turned on laptop, it't automatic run checking disk. After checked disk, my laptop is quiet slow. I can't analyze C drive so i downloaded Defraggler and analyze disk. It's said 22% disk defragted then 26% defragted. I...
  4. Should i defragment an SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  6. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  7. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  8. Do I need to defrag Windows 10?

Do I need to defrag Windows 10?: Hi *Smile I am new to MS Windows, came from Linux and MacOS background, do I need to defrag Windows 10? If so, what app/program should I use that is most effective in defragging? 25931
  9. NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!

NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!: Should You Defrag an SSD? 77319
  10. Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?

Do I need to defrag my Hard Drive?: I have this SSD hard drive: Samsung SSD 650 Series 2.5" SATA 120GB | for Business Do I need to defrag it? If so, what do I use to defrag it and how often? 27676