Windows 10: Do I need to remove other non OS drive?

Discus and support Do I need to remove other non OS drive? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading my desktop this week while I'm on vacation. I've done my laptop with no problems at all, it's a Dell Latitude... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by CmmTch, Aug 16, 2015.

1. CmmTch Win User

Do I need to remove other non OS drive?

Hi, I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading my desktop this week while I'm on vacation. I've done my laptop with no problems at all, it's a Dell Latitude E6400 with Win7 Pro bought refurbished from Newegg. The laptop was a mid 2008 model and W10 works great on it.

My question is about my desktop drives, my OS drive is an SSD and my backup drive is an HDD. There is nothing but the backups and system image on the HDD, it is an inside the box drive connected to the second SATA on the MB. Is there a chance the W10 upgrade will put it's boot loader/manager on the backup drive?

I have seen posts where for best results, all drives except the one being upgraded/clean installed on should be disconnected to avoid the boot loader/manager showing up on another drive. I can do this but it's sort of a PIA due to pulling the tower out, disconnecting cables, and opening it up. Then repeating after the upgrade to put things back.

My backup drive is an HDD with nothing on it other than backups which are done every Sunday night. There is no OS on the backup HDD.

Background is, I created another partition on my 120G SSD (30G) where I've been dual booting 7 and the W10 TP's, the plan is to delete that partition and recover the space for the W10 upgrade. Then have a single partition with W10 on my 120G SSD C drive and to continue to use the WD 500G for backup and system image. I will create another partition on the backup HDD for the W10 backups (right now I'm using a 100G partition on the HDD for Win7) and keep the Win7 backup and image until I'm fully on and comfortable with W10.

:)

CmmTch, Aug 16, 2015

2. Do I need to reinstall my non microsoft programs like Photoshop, CorelDraw etc?

Will my Antivirus be compatible with Windows 10?

Most likely not. Windows 10 will require that you have a version of your Antivirus that is designed for Windows 10. It is recommended that you uninstall your current Antivirus before intiating the upgrade. If you have a subscription that has not expired,
    contact the developer to find out about Windows 10 support. Most Antivirus utilities should be upgraded by the time Windows 10 launches. If your subscription is still active, then you should be entitled to a compatible update for Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Do I need to reinstall my non microsoft programs like Photoshop, CorelDraw etc?

I have paid for security on my laptop will this update affect this

ROBERTCURTISZR, Aug 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

But, if you are absolutely sure there is no boot information on the second hard drive, and that the SSD drive is set to be the first drive BIOS looks at to boot, you should be OK to leave it connected.

I would disconnect it, if it were me, and use that as an excuse to blow out the internals with air anyway.

NavyLCDR, Aug 16, 2015
  5. CmmTch Win User
    Thanks for the response Navy. That's probably what I'll end up doing, I do make it a habit to periodically pull the tower out and check/clean the insides for dust bunnies and such.

Something that came with my ASUS MB was a program called ASUS Probe, it has a thing like a gadget that you can show on the desktop if you want. I hope it transfers with the upgrade, it's a handy and informative application.

What I have showing on my Win7 desktop is cpu temp, cpu fan speed, MB temp, and case fan speed. Usually cpu is around 33C to 38C and lately when I've been on Win7 it's been up around 43C so I might have a bit of dust in the heatsink fins. Although I've only been on Win7 to do updates and anti virus/malware scans recently and those always increase the cpu temps anyway.

Not usually a bad idea to have a look inside your tower just to check things out.

CmmTch, Aug 16, 2015
  6. CmmTch Win User
    Since I didn't have any boot information on my backup drive I updated to W10 with it in and connected. I know it didn't have any boot info on it because I bought it new for backups and that's the only thing it's ever been used for.

I let windows update download and install the update, the boot loader/manager went on the OS C drive. So for me the update from Win7 to W10 went fine, W10 is activated too. I was not asked for any product key during the upgrade/install.

Seems all has went ok so far, it's early yet in the upgrade install, I've ran W10 TP's in a dual boot mode since January of this year so I'm familiar with it. We'll see how it goes, I don't expect any surprises but that doesn't mean there won't be some.

CmmTch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do I need to remove other non OS drive? - Similar Threads - need remove non

2. Bitlocker non-boot/OS drive with fTPM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker non-boot/OS drive with fTPM?: I have Windows 11 Pro on my new system. I'm trying to enable Bitlocker for all drives.I've run into a problem. Only drive C Boot/OS will let me bitlocker without having to create password/smart card. When I try to bitlocker drive D I don't have any kind of TPM options.I have...
  3. non removable folder on my D Drive non-system drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    non removable folder on my D Drive non-system drive: Hi Microsoft, I want to express my extreme frustration on your Xbox app creating several freaking non-removable folder on my backup drive D: as follow:- - Programfiles - WindowsApps - WpSystem I suspect those folder were there because I have located the xbox gamepass...
  4. Moved OS to new drive, do I need to re download everything even if they are on my other drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moved OS to new drive, do I need to re download everything even if they are on my other drives?: I recently moved my OS to a new NVME drive, and I noticed I can't find my usual programs which are located on some of my other drives. Do I need to reinstall them? or is it a matter of the drives' letters being moved around? submitted by /u/tzc005 [link] [comments]...
  5. Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption on non-os drives: hi, I have tried to recover windows due to an operating system corruption. Then when I was trying to log in I was said that there is a bitlocker encryption. I was able to recover that by logging into Microsoft account. However, still my non-os drives D: and E: are...
  6. Moving OS to other drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to other drive: Hello everyone, as the title says, I want to move the OS to another drive, but, I want to do that without removing the other files on it. I also wouldn't really like to reinstall WIndows, but if absolutely necessary, I will do that. Can anyone be of help for me?...
  7. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  8. USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive won't safely remove but other drives do.: Very frustrating. My portable hard drive won't safely remove but other thumb drives do remove safely. Tried all sorts of tips, non work so far. The drives that can't be removed show up and can be used but the activity light on the drive just constantly pulsates in a rhythm,...
  9. Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable: Windows 10 is showing one of my drives as non-removable/fixed. I need it to show as a removable drive. I don't mind making registry changes or whatever needs to be done. I've found information on going the other way (have removable drive show as non-removable/fixed),...
  10. Need to Disconnect Non OS Drives Before Upgrading to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need to Disconnect Non OS Drives Before Upgrading to Windows 10?: The Windows 10 guide at https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html states "Temporarily disconnect all non OS hard drives until Windows installation has finished. This is to avoid Windows Setup from installing files on other hard drives by mistake." I'm about to...