Windows 10: Do I need to update Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10?

Discus and support Do I need to update Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got about 400-500 MB of recommended updates for my HP laptop running on Windows 8.1, from about January of this year. I avoided installing them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jason2016, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jason2016 Win User

Do I need to update Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10?

I've got about 400-500 MB of recommended updates for my HP laptop running on Windows 8.1, from about January of this year. I avoided installing them because I had a problem with one of the updates where it stalled and I had to hard reboot the computer, and also because I haven't been using the laptop much so I just put if off. So I would prefer to avoid updating Windows 8.1 and just go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10. Also to save time and disk space.

So, does it matter if I skip updating Windows 8.1?

(I don't think any are driver updates, but hard to say for sure because a lot of them don't give a description of what the update actually does. The laptop runs fine, no issues.)

:)

Jason2016, Jul 23, 2016

2. Do I need to update to Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10? Can I go directly from Windows 8?

I bought an HP laptop that came with Windows 8 a little more than two years ago. I used it for maybe three days and fled back to my Windows 7 desktop which I have used alongside a Mac since. After Windows 10 came out, I tried with all my might to get my
    laptop to upgrade to Windows 8.1 so that I could upgrade to Windows 10 but the update tool through the Windows Store doesn't work for me. Nothing has changed, I am still stuck with Windows 8.

I wasn't sure if you could download the Windows 10 upgrade tool directly from Microsoft. On my desktop, there has been a popup in the bottom right of the taskbar for several months now (which I have ignored; I have no interest in leaving Windows 7 if I can
    help it) but that has never shown up on Windows 8. Fed up with having invested in this unusable laptop which has otherwise just been a paperweight for the last couple of years, I did a bit of Googling and I did find that Microsoft offers a direct download
    but still, it only mentions upgrading from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

I took a chance and downloaded the program. I had to right click > run as administrator but it seems to be working. It is currently at 22% but I am concerned that I am wasting my time. So, the question remains: is it possible to update directly from Windows
    8 to Windows 10 and totally bypass Windows 8.1?

CjMitchell02, Jul 23, 2016
  3. Do I need to update to Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10? Can I go directly from Windows 8?

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern but there is no way you can bypass Windows 8.1. You need to go to Windows 8.1 (All Updates) from 8 then to Windows 10. If you have a genuine Windows 8, then I would suggest you to upgrade to Windows 8.1 then 10 for free.

Specifications

Windows 10 Specifications & System Requirements | Microsoft

Additional Information

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Jul 23, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Asking your question twice?

You don't any updates to upgrade to Windows 10 from here:
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Jul 23, 2016
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    I remembered from last year there were updates that supposedly prepared the machine for the transition process. I suspect these were installed by January 2016? If true, then one should get away with not installing updates since.

pyramid10, Jul 24, 2016
  6. Jason2016 Win User
    Hey, thanks for the answers. But I have one more question.

First it downloads the upgrade, 3GB, took two hours, then it said *Preparing Your Computer for Upgrade and that took another hour and a half.
    Then it gave me a choice, install the upgrade now or install it later. If I choose to install it later, does that mean I can turn the computer off and it will let me do the installation the next time I turn it on? Or does it just mean I can wait till later but I must keep my computer on otherwise I lose the download and then I will have to download it again? If I choose to install it later, do I still need internet access when I do it later? It's because I don't have internet at home so I download at the library, but I ran out of time. Can I download there and then install it later at home?

Jason2016, Jul 27, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think you will be OK to do it later and turn off computer, but I am not 100% positive on that. The deadline is only 2 days away, so if you want it for free I would do whatever you have to do to get it done. It will probably have to have an internet connection briefly to activate once it is upgraded, but you shouldn't have to have a connection to do the upgrade itself.

After the upgrade without internet - when you do get connected to the internet (which you need to do before the deadline, end of July 29th), trigger the activation by right clicking on the start icon (Windows icon, lower left on the task bar), select command prompt (admin). In the command prompt windows run:

slmgr /ato

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Do I need to update Windows 8.1 before upgrading to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - need update before

2. I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible?: I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-10-is/e5a84042-6ba8-4709-a684-b63b1e61a4ca
  3. I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible?: I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-to-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-10-is/e5a84042-6ba8-4709-a684-b63b1e61a4ca
  4. I need to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 is this possible?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8: Hello Team, I missed to upgrade my Lenovo laptop windows 8.1 OS to higher version. so could you please offer some free option to upgrade my windows 8.1 to higher version? Thanks....
  6. Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8

Need to upgrade to windows 10\11 from 8: Hello Team, I missed to upgrade my Lenovo laptop windows 8.1 OS to higher version. so could you please offer some free option to upgrade my windows 8.1 to higher version? Thanks....
  7. How do I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10: How do I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-10/900b53f2-4ace-427a-a8ff-c22e93834191
  8. How do I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10

How do I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10: How do I upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-10/900b53f2-4ace-427a-a8ff-c22e93834191
  9. Do i need win 7 fully updated before upgrade to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do i need win 7 fully updated before upgrade to 10: Hi! I am doing a hard drive switch on a desktop and going for full clean. I got win 7 on disc then 10 on app. My question is, do i need to fully update 7 before upgrading to 10 or can i jist install 7 then upgrade directly? Regards!...
  10. Everything I need to know before I upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything I need to know before I upgrade to Windows 10: I have been a Windows 7 user for such a long time and have been holding out from upgrading for a multitude of reasons. Now I want to upgrade but I fear the repercussions that it would have on my files and my computer in general. As the title suggests, is there anything I need...