Windows 10: Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium?

Discus and support Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have been kindly advised by people on this forum that its best to use Macrium to create an 'image' of your SSD only, and to manually backup your HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by C0zzie, Sep 24, 2017.

1. C0zzie Win User

Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium?

I have been kindly advised by people on this forum that its best to use Macrium to create an 'image' of your SSD only, and to manually backup your HD storage (that has photos, documents, music etc).

Every Sunday (usually evenings), I connect my 2TB external HD, open Macrium, check that my SSD partitions are selected, and in about 20-40 minutes my SSD image has been created onto the external HD. I have 4 images so far, 1 per week every Sunday, before the Windows updates are rolled out every Tuesday.

1) Now since I always remember to manually create an 'image' of my SSD on Sundays, do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium, as I dont need to backup using differential or incremental for an SSD?
    2) The whole 'Purge oldest backup set(s) if less than 5GB on the target volume' that is shows in retention rules, shall I use that? Or do I just delete the oldest 'image' if storage becomes full?

What are your views/opinions on my situation, and is anyone else in my situation also?
    What do you do?

Many Thanks

:)

C0zzie, Sep 24, 2017
  2. SLBrokaw Win User

Do I need a special plan to use outlook?

Hello, I am a regular ol' phone user and I was thinking about upgrading to a windows mobile device. But before I do this I have a couple questions:

If I am using AT&T or T-Mobile (haven't decided which to use yet) do I have to have a special plan to use features such as windows outlook mobile? Or does it just eat up my airtime minutes?

Secondly, Is the feature to look up restaurants/entertainment free? Or again, must I have a special plan to use these features?

Thank you in advance, sorry if this was hard to understand, I am a bit tired.

SLBrokaw, Sep 24, 2017
  3. Do I need a special plan to use outlook?

You will need a data plan if you sync Other-the-Air, browse the internet or use any software to download data such as maps. Your Mobile Operator will be too glad to give you more details.

Linley Meslier, Sep 24, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Personally I used the default plan and I use that for my Windows Backup (that's all Windows partitions) for my SSD.

I use differential backups for both data partitions and Windows.

All you need to ensure is adequate security and sufficiently frequent backups for your situation.

I have Windows updates set to notify and Defer Feature Updates enabled, so I have the option of updating my backup before applying an update or upgrade.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2017
  5. No--you do not need to use Backup Plan Template. Nor do you need to check that Purge choice. I uncheck the choices related to scheduling and retention rules.

I just start from scratch each time I make a new image. I make the same choices within the menus every time, but I don't try to "automate" anything.

I use the default names that Macrium offers and I make a new destination folder each time that is named to show when it was made, such as 092517 if I were to make an image today.

I make full images only. I keep the most recent 2 or 3 and manually delete those I don't need.

It's a personal choice, but I figure that forcing myself to do everything manually each time tends to keep my head in the game and makes me more familiar with Macrium and it's menu choices. I do NOT want to be lulled into a sense of complacency by any automated functions.

Have you ever restored? Have you confirmed for a fact that your Macrium recovery media will boot your PC?

ignatzatsonic, Sep 24, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    I always do it manually rather than doing it to schedules etc.

cereberus, Sep 24, 2017
  7. C0zzie Win User
    I just have 1 folder called 'SSD Images', and have all the images stored in there.
    I put the 'date' in the 'comments' section when creating the images, although I am sure when you boot the CD and find the folder, it shows the dates there anyway, as if you were viewing it in File Explorer.

I have not restored before no, but I have triple checked that my bootable rescue CD works. I think, with some trial and error, I got into BIOS, choose the CD rom as boot order no.1 and rebooted. It took a while to boot into the CD, but when it did, it was really easy to navigate to my SSD images that I had *Smile

C0zzie, Sep 24, 2017
  8. Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium?

Sounds like you have it pretty well under control.

You might do an actual restore to a spare hard drive you might have, to familiarize yourself with the procedure and prove to yourself that the restored drive boots and responds as expected.

I try to remember to do a virus scan before making a new image. And I tend to make a new image around the 5th or 6th of the month---a few days before Microsoft is likely to give me a bunch of significant updates. The new image serves as a fallback position if the Windows updates have a bad outcome.

9. C0zzie Win User
    So Windows rolls 'geneal bugs and fixes' updates every Tuesday right? However, they roll out important/big updates around the 5th/6th every month?

Unfortunately I dont have a spare HD to restore the image to, but I presume you just select the 'image' you want, and click 'restore'? Simple as?
    Furthermore, lets just say I was to restore the latest 'SSD image' to a spare drive, does that mean my OS is in 2 drives now? I understand that you can only use 1 Windows 10 account per PC, but if it son a seperate drive in another PC? How does that work if that makes sense?

C0zzie, Sep 24, 2017
  10. see comments:

11. C0zzie Win User
    Ah yes, so I was probably referring to what you describe as 'Patch Tuesday' then.
    Maybe I just need to image every month, before the big update you mention, but to be safe I think every week is ok also.

Oh, if the current HD breaks, you plug in new HD/SSD and restore it on that. My mistake, I presumed, for some silly reason, that you meant cloning your image onto a new HD haha..apologies for the confusion.

But Thanks for clearing things up *Smile

C0zzie, Sep 24, 2017
  12. Frequency is a personal choice.

If you made significant daily changes to your PC, you might even want to make daily images.

My Windows installation evolves slowly with minimal changes, so I use monthly.

Weekly is fine if you don't mind taking the time every week and if you are not cramped for storage space.

At some point, the large sizes of the image files may start to cramp your space and you would then have to decide which images to delete.

If you have 37 images for the last 37 weeks, what good is the 23rd image from last April 17? Again, no problem with that if you have plenty of space. Maybe your images are 10 GB each and maybe they are 100 GB each.

My occupied space on C is about 33 GB. My last image file (Sept 8) is 16.2 GB.

ignatzatsonic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Do I need to use a 'Backup Plan Template' in Macrium? - Similar Threads - need 'Backup Plan

2. Doing Macrium backups as another user

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Doing Macrium backups as another user: I bought my computer back in March and only now have gotten around to create a normal user-account, instead of using the original admin account when I first set up windows 10. (Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Installed on ‎2021-‎03-‎09 OS build 19043.1081 Experience...
  3. Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium

Need Help Understanding Backups with Macrium: I've spent countless hours trying to research this so I can understand it and I'm still having issues. If I use software such as Macrium, I can clone my C drive to an SSD so that if my C drive were to fail, I could pop in the SSD and that's it. It's basically like nothing...
  4. Modified Macrium backup

Modified Macrium backup: Dell Inspiron 15 5565, Win 10 Home I want to create a Mactium backup, but it's going to be huge unless I can properly modify it. I tried to use a USB with 28gb free space as the destination, but it wasn't enough [img] My first question is can I just image the first 4...
  5. What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?

What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?: I downloaded the freebie version of Macrium Reflect, and attempted to make an image of the entire drive so I would be ready should I have a hard drive failure. I didn’t have adequate space in the drive that will store the image file, so will try later. How much space do I...
  6. What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What space do I need for drive that receives Macrium backup data?: I downloaded the freebie version of Macrium Reflect, and attempted to make an image of the entire drive so I would be ready should I have a hard drive failure. I didn’t have adequate space in the drive that will store the image file, so will try later. How much space do I...
  7. Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive

Use Macrium Reflect to backup a partition or the drive: My laptop, which is essentially a portable version of my desktop, has one physical drive partitioned into System and Data partitions. The Data partition is sync'd with my laptop so, if it were to be lost, it could be readily, though slowly, recovered. I use Reflect to create...
  8. Need some critique on my backup plans using robocopy

Need some critique on my backup plans using robocopy: I am trying to make better file backups. So in order to have different backup frequencies on different files, I decided to write scripts to run robocopy to perform the backups (I'm running these scripts manually using scheduler to display reminders). Here is what I came up...
  9. Macrium installation & backup

Macrium installation & backup: Hello Forum, An hour ago I installed Macrium, after instl. it made (burned) a rescue dvd. I am trying to make my first backup to the system, but first I want to consult with my 'teachers', After installation please see screenshot "macrium - 01.jpg", there are 2 disks, C:...
  10. Macrium backup

Macrium backup: I have made a backup of my hard drive from my old computer with macruim reflect. It is a backup of a few installed applications and software packages but more importantly it is a copy of windows 10 professional with digital entitlement. I plan to buy a new laptop and am...