Windows 10: Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?

Discus and support Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Thanks for taking a look at my question. So, to put it plainly, if I do not care about battery back-ups but want the other protections, will the APC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tonightwetaco, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?

Thanks for taking a look at my question.

So, to put it plainly, if I do not care about battery back-ups but want the other protections, will the APC Line R voltage Regulator accomplish what I need? I want to protect my 17 inch notebook PC from surges and power fluctuations that can harm a PC over time. Thanks!

:)

tonightwetaco, Oct 25, 2017

2. Windows 10 Desktop shutdown reason battery

I had plugged the APC UPS into the PC without installing the PowerChute software from APC. As I looked into the UPS I found that it's a common problem with Windows from 7 to now that the default UPS software in Windows shuts down in power conditions that
    the APC software won't.

For instance, just as I type this, I got a notice from the APC software that power had been restored to my UPS yet I didn't know there was a problem; it was likely a brownout. Probably without PowerChute, it would have been one of those random shutdowns.

Thanks for the clue that pointed me in the right direction.

Dale At Work, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Blaez Win User
    POWER ON OF ITS OWN

Disconnect the UPS from the computer. If you are using PowerChute from APC, it is not compatible with Windows 10 as I have found out. After I pulled the APC USB plug, my computer screensaver and power functions returned. (my be related to your start up issues?)

Blaez, Oct 25, 2017
  4. Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?

Hi tonightwetaco

From reading documentation it looks like all you need although as I understand it your laptop gets power from battery any way so you are really just protecting charging system.

I went with UPS with same function so my modem / routers, cordless phones etc would also be protected. If my cable modem shuts off, or flickers, it takes several minutes for it to reestablish, wanted to avoid this.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 25, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    Personally, I would do the UPS. It warranties equipment plugged into it from power surges, etc. And in the event you have a power outage, it provides you with power for things like a small radio, clock, etc. I used mine once to run the air bubblers for my fish tank during an extended power outage.

pparks1, Oct 25, 2017
  6. thanks for the help you two

tonightwetaco, Oct 25, 2017
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Definitely the UPS route. Just one blip is enough to send an hours worth of updates down the tube, or worse. I got my Cyberpower 1500 last April, and never regretted it.

f14tomcat, Oct 25, 2017
  8. Clintlgm Win User

Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?

Definitely the UPS route, the APC ones do a lot more than act as a battery back up. Mainly they line balance protect your AC Adapter from power surges and brown out. I use this one it has lithium battery very light weight and covers everything that is needed. I travel with my Asus G752VY 17" and use is as a desktop replacement. I'm on boats barges and ships with flakey electrical supplies I would be with out one.

Clintlgm, Oct 26, 2017
  9. i am finding a lot of the answer confusing sorry.

the Line R Voltage Regulator has a surge protector built in, doesnt that protect against the "1 blip" issue?

i just want to protect my notebook from those power fluctuations that degrade electronics overtime. The Voltage Regulator does that and also has surge protection. What am I missing that you all kep suggesting the battery backup as well? I don't need a battery backup because the notebook has a battery built in.

also, APC told me I can plug the Voltage Regulator into my 2000 joule surge protector if I want. Doesnt that solve the "1 blip" issue as well?

tonightwetaco, Oct 26, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    Sorry, the wording and terms can get a little wacky. The blip I'm speaking of is a momentary loss of power. Surge protectors protect against spikes, but not severe brown-outs or power outage. Laptop with battery? Sure, the UPS with battery is kinda redundant unless you want to keep the charger on clean continuous protected power. It all comes down to the specific application.

f14tomcat, Oct 26, 2017
  11. i understand better now, thank you. Regarding specific specifications. What I want to do is leave my notebook/charger plugged in at all times and have it be protected from spikes/low and high voltage issues etc.. Basically nice and clean supply of reliable current.I assume if there is a loss of power the notebooks battery will kick in. Thanks!

12. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes, and with a UPS during a line power dropping the UPS will kick in to maintain constant power supply so they work both ways power spike the battery kicks in to maintain constant line voltages.

Clintlgm, Oct 26, 2017
  13. Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?

but does that UPS protect against brownouts and over voltages like the R Line voltage regulator does?

14. Clintlgm Win User
    Yes with the software you can set high and low voltages if either is reached the battery kicks in. Here is the spec sheet on these particular ones, don't sell them but travel a lot and found this light weight small form factor for packing and traveling. I have always had good luck wit APC brand name. I can't speak to any other brands.

Clintlgm, Oct 26, 2017
  15. Might I suggest that you do some research. Depending on make and model you will find differences. The ones APC list as Back ups don't seem to offer low voltage solution where the Back UPS Pro does.

Once you settle on needs then price check. I have a store near me that always sells at top dollar and another the always seems to do better than list.

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/catego...ro/_/N-1itz49c

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator?

1. Do I want the APC Back-UPS or the APC Voltage Regulator? - Similar Threads - APC UPS APC

2. APC index error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    APC index error: Hi, 2 days ago I have update my Windows, after I was told to do so. Since then, I have regularly a stop code: APC INDEX MISMATCH and the laptop restart and show again the error as blue screen and again same all the time . I have laptop dell Vostro 5568. How do I have to solve...
  3. APC index error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    APC index error: Hi, 2 days ago I have update my Windows, after I was told to do so. Since then, I have regularly a stop code: APC INDEX MISMATCH and the laptop restart and show again the error as blue screen and again same all the time . I have laptop dell Vostro 5568. How do I have to solve...
  4. APC index error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. APC index mismatch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    APC index mismatch: [ATTACH] Troubleshoot steps taken: 1.Check System Fileswith System File Checker Thesfc/scannow command will scan and find Windows system files that are damaged ormisplaced and repair them. Opencmd as an Administrator: sfc/scannow Note ifthat shows...
  6. Apc Index mismatch

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Apc Index mismatch: Ive been experiencing heaps of bsods most of which i have fixed, but ive done all i can to no avail when fixing this error message. Apc_index_mismatch it happens at random intervals and i have updated all drivers, downloaded windows updates and much more but this problem...
  7. APC Index Mismatch

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    APC Index Mismatch: Hey Guys, I got a strange problem with my pc, it doesn't happen all the time its random when i boot my pc. Can't figure out what causes it, maby anyone has an idee? I've uploaded as much as info on drivers etc what i can find here: Onedrive Hope someone can help me...
  8. APC index mismatch

APC index mismatch: Hi there, I've just upgraded to windows 1903 a few days ago. After the update many of my office applications have been giving me the blue screen with the following error: APC index mismatch. This error has never occurred before and is constantly happening when using office...
  9. APC index mismatch

APC index mismatch: i am having this issue since 1 year. whenever i play any video the audio suddenly breaks and i get a blue screen with error code as APC index mismatch. Here are the dump files links: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16f39E5t9U7hTNKzGpiMSzA_JUhKadugA/view?usp=sharing...
  10. APC index mismatch

APC index mismatch: Hi I was working on my computer when suddenly I got the BSOD with the stop code: apc index mismatch. After the restart, I saw this in the event viewer: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000001 (0x00007fff25900084, 0x0000000000000000,...