Windows 10: "Do you want to open this file?"

Discus and support "Do you want to open this file?" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every time I want to open downloaded from internet image file I receive a warning message "do you want to open this file?" which makes me crazy.Is any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by john54, Oct 25, 2015.

1. john54 Win User

"Do you want to open this file?"

Every time I want to open downloaded from internet image file I receive a warning message "do you want to open this file?" which makes me crazy.Is any way to disable this,PLEASE?

:)

john54, Oct 25, 2015
  2. kectec Win User

how do you want to open this

Computer is 100% updated. Screen shot below:

"Do you want to open this file?" [​IMG]

kectec, Oct 25, 2015
  3. how do you want to open this

Hi Kecrec,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced. I will definitely help you with this.

To guide you in right direction we want to know:

• Have you installed all the updates on your computer?
    • Please prove us the screen shot of the issue?

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Deepak..Raghav, Oct 25, 2015
  4. Rocky Win User

I have never gotten that. I double click and the file opens.

Rocky, Oct 25, 2015
  5. JohnC Win User
    JohnC, Oct 25, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello John, *Smile

The Open File - Security Warning prompt is a security measure that will ask for your permission before opening a file on your PC that came from an unknown source such as the internet or another PC.

It's not recommended to turn off this, but you can easily unblock the file to stop getting the message for it.

Unblock File in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 25, 2015
  7. john54 Win User
    Thank you for your response.
    I unblocked File in Properties (it works just for one image and you have to do it again for the next one).
    I turned off Windows SmartScreen to "Don't do anything" in Security and Maintenance panel.
    Still getting this:
    https://i.imgur.com/mMYbBW3.jpg

john54, Oct 26, 2015
  8. XweAponX Win User

YES! Thank you! Smartscreen Filter SUCKS! I have been disabling this since Windows XP, and it is in there too. But it used to be an Internet Explorer feature only, now, it affects the whole operating system. I depend on my AV program to prevent any problems turning it off would cause. Smartscreen actually locks down EXE files too, so you have to "unblock" them.

When you install or Update your OS to Windows 10, you will come across a prompt that asks you if you want to use Smartscreen, always choose "NO" when you see that.

XweAponX, Oct 26, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 26, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    What, you mean that's not a Smartscreen feature? Ok, Thanks, I'll check that out. I hate it when files come up like that and I need to use them right away.

Edit - Thanks, it works great!

XweAponX, Oct 26, 2015
  11. john54 Win User
    Thanks for your help guys.Finally, I found a solution.So simple that I couldn't believe.Security Warning window shows up only when I open an image in Windows Photo Viewer. I switched to Photos app and every bitmap image is opening now without the problem.

john54, Oct 26, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    But Windows Photo Viewer is a much better program then the Photo app. At least I think it is.

Ztruker, Oct 27, 2015
  13. john54 Win User

Not necessarily. Windows Photo Viewer is just a viewer.Photos has a bunch of nice editing tools.

john54, Oct 27, 2015
  14. Ztruker Win User
    I use other programs to edit photos.

As long as you're happy with it is the important thing.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Do you want to open this file?" - Similar Threads - open file

2. I cant open .exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant open .exe files: hello, My issue i am having is that no matter what i cannot open .exe files. or more lie files specifically from github or so i know of. I have tried a number of "solutions".1. Check for MalwareMalware or viruses can sometimes cause .exe files not to run. Running a full...
  3. I cant open .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant open .exe files: hello, My issue i am having is that no matter what i cannot open .exe files. or more lie files specifically from github or so i know of. I have tried a number of "solutions".1. Check for MalwareMalware or viruses can sometimes cause .exe files not to run. Running a full...
  4. Can't open Zip files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't open Zip files: All of the sudden, I am not able to download and open a zip file. I had to install 7-Zip to get folders open. The zip file is coming from a secure server and never had any issues before. The zip file is part of a software program that shares projects that are built withing...
  5. Can't open Zip files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open Zip files: All of the sudden, I am not able to download and open a zip file. I had to install 7-Zip to get folders open. The zip file is coming from a secure server and never had any issues before. The zip file is part of a software program that shares projects that are built withing...
  6. Can't open Zip files

7. How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?: I recently got a 'you don't have permission to view that' when trying to look at a notepad file I'd downloaded with a game and it made me mad. How can I indefinitely change it so this never happens again? Mind you I've tried quite a many things over the course of 12 or so...
  8. How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?

How can I change it so that I have permission to open/modify any file on my Windows?: I recently got a 'you don't have permission to view that' when trying to look at a notepad file I'd downloaded with a game and it made me mad. How can I indefinitely change it so this never happens again? Mind you I've tried quite a many things over the course of 12 or so...
  9. cant open file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant open file explorer: cant open file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-file-explorer/85763c2a-46c0-4b44-843a-aa246327bfbc
  10. cant open file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant open file explorer: cant open file explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-file-explorer/85763c2a-46c0-4b44-843a-aa246327bfbc