Windows 10: Doc folder contents display on desktop

Discus and support Doc folder contents display on desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The contents of my documents folder permanently display all over my desktop. Ive heard this is a common problem but cannot find a resolution Help... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TalkingDonkey, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Doc folder contents display on desktop

The contents of my documents folder permanently display all over my desktop. Ive heard this is a common problem but cannot find a resolution

Help

:)

TalkingDonkey, Feb 9, 2017
  2. d0gknees Win User

Windows Registry

The Desktop folder does not "run as an exe". Explorer displays the content of a number of folders and displays them on the screen.

d0gknees, Feb 9, 2017
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Pane Word Doc fix

Hmmm; Well, This works displaying a Thumbnail (TN) for NEW Word docs on the desktop, but not for re-saving an existing doc to the desktop or in a folder.

It DID work a few times creating a new Word doc in a folder ... which was exciting.

But for some reason after I tried re-saving an existing doc as a TN, neither it or a new Word doc will show in Preview Pane in a folder. They will still show as a TN on desktop, but not in a folder.

And of course this does not resolve the issue for all my existing Word docs in various folders (Unless I would open all, re-save as Thumbnail, and it worked in folders ... which now it does not).

Again: For some reason Preview Pane does not work on only Word docs.

Does File Explorer, or some other component, need to be somehow 'Fixed' or re-installed?

Tx! Al

AllanBarsema, Feb 9, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Doc folder contents display on desktop

Hi and welcome.
    Never heard of that problem, what's your default place to save documents ? Some times it defaults to Desktop.

CountMike, Feb 9, 2017
  5. Default is the documents folder. Which they appear in, but they also cover my entire desktop.

TalkingDonkey, Feb 10, 2017
  6. Any suggestions please?

TalkingDonkey, Feb 14, 2017
  7. AndreyT Win User
    What path do you see when you hit "Properties" on your "Documents" folder and switch to "Location" tab?

AndreyT, Feb 14, 2017
  8. Anak Win User

Can you post a screenshot? Attachments and Images

9. D:\Tony

My C drive is just a 256GB SSD containing the OS and and so I 'think' I set up all the storage to save on the D drive (it was 5 years ago) which is a separate 1TB unit so I think its a mess of my own doing. I can obviously restore the default location of the documents folder to C:\Tony but I want the keep the OS drive clean as possible

Even so, I still dont understand why everything appears on my desktop??

10. Check the properties for your Desktop folder to make sure its not pointing to your Documents folder. If you moved the location of both its an easy mistake to click the wrong folder when selecting the new destination.

alphanumeric, Feb 14, 2017
  11. Anak Win User
    Thanks for the screenshot, btw, Nice horse!

If the properties for your desktop folder seem okay, see this:
    The one thing I'd be careful about is whether or not your SSD could be considered a HHD for this exercise, you should look for an alphanumeric registry key that matches it.

One way to find that is to go to the drive properties and under the Details tab of either the SSD and HDD and scroll down until you see Device class guid and that will show you the key number in the registry.

You may have to experiment to see which one makes the duplicates go away, I'm thinking it's the SSD because this involves the OS and Windows graphical interface, but, I'd start with the HDD guid first.

Doc folder contents display on desktop [​IMG]
    Note Make sure you create a restore point before you start working on the registry

12. If I enter '.' from the Run box and check the location of the desktop shown there it says the location is C:\Users\Tony\Desktop

But if I open that it does not display what I'm seeing on my screen desktop

13. Doc folder contents display on desktop

Thanks, I made that *Smile

Thank you for the help but I'm not confident to change the registry as I don't fully understand your post.

Its as if my displayed desktop is not the one stored at C:\Users\Tony\Desktop as that folder only contains 3 shortcuts,

The desktop that displays appears to be on my D drive as a shortcut with the target D:\Tony

Instead of moving my library folders default locations, it seems I've created duplicates

Its not the end of the world, I can live with it, its just annoying. What I intended was to leave the desktop on my SSD C Drive, but store all docs/downloads/pictures etc, on the D drive

14. mrgeek Win User
    "Its as if my displayed desktop is not the one stored at C:\Users\Tony\Desktop as that folder only contains 3 shortcuts, ... The desktop that displays appears to be on my D drive as a shortcut with the target D:\Tony"

If you open This PC> r-click Desktop> Properties/Location tab. That should verify which one is showing but your screen shot shows two Documents folders and no Desktop folder. This is why you don't see the Tony Desktop.
    One of these Documents folders should be the Desktop folder, pointing to C:\Users\Tony\Desktop. Try the 'Restore Default' option for the correct Desktop/Docs folder.
    Somehow, your 'Tony' profile is messed up. See if there's a Desktop folder in your C:\Users\Tony folder.
    This tutorial may help restore Default folders and you can work back from there -
    Users Personal Folders - Restore Default Location in Windows 10

mrgeek, Feb 14, 2017
  15. C:\Users\your user name\Desktop is where it should be if you didn't change the location. I do but most people don't, even when they move the other folders. I'm not sure what is going on with your system to be honest.

alphanumeric, Feb 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Doc folder contents display on desktop - Similar Threads - Doc folder contents

2. No access to folder and docs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No access to folder and docs: I am trying to copy a document folder from a usb-backup disk to a new laptop, but windows tells me I have no access rights. I have admin rights on the old as well as the new computer and tried everything I could think of: taking ownership of the folder/files, setting the...
  3. No access to folder and docs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No access to folder and docs: I am trying to copy a document folder from a usb-backup disk to a new laptop, but windows tells me I have no access rights. I have admin rights on the old as well as the new computer and tried everything I could think of: taking ownership of the folder/files, setting the...
  4. No access to folder and docs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Folder Content Displays Blue Bar

Windows 10 Folder Content Displays Blue Bar: When my folder is full of files and I want to highlight and cut files the file titles are active with a BLUE bar that is as long as the longest title in the folder. This blue bar interferes with the highlighting and cutting. How do I eliminate this blue bar? I would love to...
  6. Docs/folders W10

Docs/folders W10: Is it possible to make W10 docs/folders to display like old W7 pls? W7 was so simple. W10 is a nightmare in everyway. I've not found one thing work with ease...not one thing....
  7. desktop is showing contents of a different folder

desktop is showing contents of a different folder: On my pc,I recently moved my onedrive folder to an external hard drive. The desktop folder, however, stayed in the original ( no longer acting as a onedrive folder as such) onedrive folder on c. I went to properties, and moved it to the onedrive folder, then though that...
  8. Contents of Folder

Contents of Folder: I am needing to be able to get a list of all of the files in a specific folder. Ultimately, I would like to transfer the list to an excel spreadsheet, but the only way I know of that "MAY" work is to print the file names to an Adobe file and then convert them over to an...
  9. Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Looking for: Desktop Folder that shows contents on hover/click: I had a program that did this Years. It allowed you to make a folder on the desktop, put anything in the folder you wanted, and instead of opening the folder, you could mouse over it like a right click context menu and have access to those files/shortcuts within the folder,...
  10. Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed

in Windows 10 Support
    Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed: I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a SSD. I'm keeping many files on an external USB hard drive. I had included the external drive's Documents folder in my Documents library. The File Explorer displayed files and folders on both the internal SSD and the external drive...