Windows 10: document search

Discus and support document search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I looked for previous posts on this subject, but they're old. I tried the suggestions in those posts, however, but they didn't help. Sometimes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by stonefly, Jul 23, 2017.

1. stonefly Win User

document search

I looked for previous posts on this subject, but they're old. I tried the suggestions in those posts, however, but they didn't help.

Sometimes the search box in windows explorer will find a document containing a word. Sometimes it won't, even when I know the document I'm looking for is somewhere in my documents file. The one thing it will not do is find a string of text. I know, from memory, that at one time, on my older computers, I could find any file at any time in an instant, just by typing in a string of text. This was invaluable to me. I might not remember the name of the document, but I could usually remember a few words that were in the document. I considered this an extremely valuable feature of windows. There was never a time when I couldn't call up a document based on a few words of text. Emphasis on "was never."

I can't do it any more. The file search does not work. How can I find a document by typing in a string of a few words?

:)

stonefly, Jul 23, 2017

2. live search documentation

It is not a feature I've used a lot. I'm not sure how often it is refreshed (if at all ... lol)

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 23, 2017
  3. Melod Win User
    live search documentation

Thanks for the reply but after a quick look I didn't see anything about Traffic. My problem is, the maps are ancient and I don't think it's updating the traffic conditions for the area I want to see. I see the same picture everytime I look. Is there a
    way to refresh the data?

Melod, Jul 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

document search

Hi, these two screenshot demonstrate this working on my anniversary edition on an indexed folder on drive H:

document search [​IMG]

document search [​IMG]

Please confirm
    1. the folder in question is definitely indexed and the files therein indexed for content.
    2. you have the appropriate ifilter(s) for the document type(s) in question.

document search [​IMG]

((Example e.g. txt)

Which is your build?
    (Windows key + R, winver).
    Thanks.

dalchina, Jul 23, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    I find the same (current Creators). Sometime it will find a string inside a word or pdf file, sometimes not. Sometimes it finds a file which does not include the string. My Indexing Options states "Indexing complete", and "Index these locaions" includes my document library (and other places). All the files types in Advanced > File Types are listed, including .docx and .pdf.

I investigated this before but none of the advice helped. Windows Ten's search clearly is unreliable. I never use it.

Is there other software that will actually do searches reliably?

Stevekir, Jul 24, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Ticking this option may help within docs ? Contents excluded by default.

document search [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jul 24, 2017
  7. AndreyT Win User
    What exactly do you mean by "won't"? Does File Explorer explicitly tell you that there's no such document? Or does File Explorer keep searching, searching and searching for a very long time?

Note also that the search behavior is context-sensitive - it depends on what is selected in File Explorer tree. If you select a drive or a "regular" folder, it will simply search for file names. But if you select your designated "Documents" folder, it will search for text inside your documents.

Because of this it might be a better idea to use Win+S search instead of File Explorer search. Win+S seems to always look for your search term inside indexed documents.

AndreyT, Jul 24, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

document search

Are you sure all the text in the pdf's in question is actually text, not image?
    And do you have a pdf ifilter? It's not enough simply to see pdf listed, there must also be an ifilter present.

document search [​IMG]

document search [​IMG]

Installing an iflter requires rebuilding the index for it to be effective.

Note that changing your pdf viewer can remove the ifilter.

And you must have file explorer open at a point in the file tree higher than what you want to search for.

Note: Google Desktop search (obsolete,free) is still available, then there's Copernic Desktop Search and X1 (commercial).

GDS also had an Omnipage plugin that dealt with OCR for image based documents very well.

dalchina, Jul 24, 2017
  9. Stevekir Win User
    I mean I get "no item matches your search" after it completes a long search in, eg., Documents.

I tried Win + S and so far it is 100% effective in finding items, including one 4 folder levels down, and one inside an Excell spreadsheet. It is lightning fast. Thanks for that. However, it does not offer the Pictures folder to search in. Curiously, it does offer the app "Photos" and it is also effective there, including images in my Pictures folder. I will use Win+S in future.

Stevekir, Jul 25, 2017
  10. Stevekir Win User
    PDF is listed in the list you show in your post, but not iPDF. However, I seem to be getting better searches, as mentioned in my reply at #7. What is iPDF please? Where can I get it and where do I put it?

Stevekir, Jul 25, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    document search [​IMG]

I don't know what
    is - where did you see this?

From my post:

document search [​IMG]

=>

document search [​IMG]

2nd result is the Adobe pdf ifilter

dalchina, Jul 25, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    I too rely on searching for text snippets within pdf documents. Before Windows 8 you needed to install an extension (called an iFilter) to do this - I used the Adobe and then (at the time faster) Foxit filters to search for text strings in pdf.

In Windows 8 or 10 there is no need for these old programs any more - just make sure the "Index Properties and File Contents" is selected and use the default Reader Search Handler.

document search [​IMG]

It works perfectly well.

13. OldMike65 Win User

document search

You should try using Everything search tool, its much better than Windows search tool. Its also a Free app.

Everything Search Tool
    voidtools

OldMike65, Jul 25, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    They want to search file content - that is look for the phrase "Hali said" contained in all Word or pdf files for example.

From my experience Windows search is by far the fastest way to do this.

Everything will find it but it is slow - from their FAQ

15. OldMike65 Win User
    Ahh, ok Hali, didn't catch that part I guess. Still like Everything better thou. Hope you are doing well old friend. *Smile

OldMike65, Jul 25, 2017
Thema:

document search

1. document search - Similar Threads - document search

2. Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.: I have been messing with my files recently to try to move some of them Downloads and Documents to my external drive and when I attempted to do that, I moved the files from documents into my external drive and deleted the one on my PC's drive. I then attempted to add mods to a...
  3. Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.: I have been messing with my files recently to try to move some of them Downloads and Documents to my external drive and when I attempted to do that, I moved the files from documents into my external drive and deleted the one on my PC's drive. I then attempted to add mods to a...
  4. Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...: Search in C:\Users\Komninos\Downloads not showing any results in Windows Explorer.Same issue for Pictures, Documents, Downloads.I recently moved them from D , but I doubt that was it.They have the files in the, it just won't quick search.The quick search is not working for...
  5. Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...: Search in C:\Users\Komninos\Downloads not showing any results in Windows Explorer.Same issue for Pictures, Documents, Downloads.I recently moved them from D , but I doubt that was it.They have the files in the, it just won't quick search.The quick search is not working for...
  6. Windows Explorer Search does not find anything on Pictures, Documents, Downloads folders...

7. Search of documents does not highlight files as before. Is there a fix?

Search of documents does not highlight files as before. Is there a fix?: Search of documents does not highlight files as before. Is there a fix? Bob G https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-of-documents-does-not-highlight-files-as/99c20817-9095-41f5-858f-54964fadeb47
  8. Search of documents does not highlight files as before. Is there a fix?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search of documents does not highlight files as before. Is there a fix?: Search of documents does not highlight files as before. Is there a fix? Bob G https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-of-documents-does-not-highlight-files-as/99c20817-9095-41f5-858f-54964fadeb47
  9. Windows 11 taskbar search not finding all the documents with names containing the same keyword.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 taskbar search not finding all the documents with names containing the same keyword.: In my case I am searching for documents with keyword “manual”. Windows taskbar search comes up with some documents but not all even though they are in the same folder. Expanding the search with Explorer does find many additional documents with the keyword highlighted in the...
  10. Windows 11 taskbar search not finding all the documents with names containing the same keyword.

Windows 11 taskbar search not finding all the documents with names containing the same keyword.: In my case I am searching for documents with keyword “manual”. Windows taskbar search comes up with some documents but not all even though they are in the same folder. Expanding the search with Explorer does find many additional documents with the keyword highlighted in the...