Windows 10: "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane

Discus and support "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have this problem on my fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 installtion where the documents folder keep multiplying in the file explorer navigation pane, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KingHawk, Jul 31, 2015.

1. KingHawk Win User

"Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane

I have this problem on my fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 installtion where the documents folder keep multiplying in the file explorer navigation pane, it sometimes appears when I'm using the file explorer or leave it open in the background for a while.

The system folders (Documents, Pictures and the other system folder) are all located in OneDrive and in my case D:\OneDrive\Documents.
    Like this:
    Attachment 27467

And this is what happens when I leave the file explorer open for a while. I have no idea what triggers it so it is hard to reproduce. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with it being in OneDrive but I guess not since none of the other folders are acting like this.
    Attachment 27465
    The extra Document folders don't appear like that all at once, they appear one by one and when you wait long enough it can become like that.

My question is does anyone know what this could be caused by or how to fix this? There are no events in the event viewer that seem to be related to this problem so nothing I can show you from there.

Thanks!

Update:
    I've just found the cause of this problem, it caused by OneDrive syncing the folder. The moment it starts to look for changes or update changes in the folder it will multiply and keep adding more folders one bye one.

:)

KingHawk, Jul 31, 2015

2. "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane

Original Title :

Marvin Graham, Jul 31, 2015
  3. "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane

I encountered the problem of getting multiple Documents folders and solved it for myself. The problem happened after I recently completely reloaded Windows 10 and then set the Documents folder to point to my G: drive. (The process I used to have the Documents
    folder on my G: drive was to right-click on the Documents folder in the left-hand pane, click on Properties, and under the Locations tab, change the location to G:\Documents.)

The multiple folder problem happened when I did this Properties/Location change using the Documents folder
    listed under Quick Access. I reloaded Windows again, and did this Properties/Location change using the Documents folder
    listed under This PC...no problem!

When I save a document, I temporarily get a second Documents folder, but it disappears if I refresh with F5 or the next time I open File Explorer.

The same applied to the Music, Pictures, and Videos folders.

By the way, I have OneDrive turned off: never signed into it and set the configuration so it does not launch when Windows starts. If you are using OneDrive, I don't know if my solution will work for you.

DavidH4976, Jul 31, 2015
  4. SEB
    Seb Win User

I had this problem as well. An easy way to reproduce this was to make a new folder and delete it. Every time I did that it would add another documents folder to the navigation under this PC. What did you with onedrive to fix this? Just unsync documents? Thanks

5. KingHawk Win User
    KingHawk, Aug 3, 2015
  6. SEB
    Seb Win User
    Ok no worries. Ill do a little bit more digging into this but hopefully it will be fixed by Microsoft in an update to either the os or onedrive. I sync my own folder to onedrive so temporary solution is like you said to stop syncing that folder. Strange that it only does it for documents .

Thema:

1. "Documents" folder multiplying in navigation pane - Similar Threads - Documents folder multiplying

2. Navigation Pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation Pane.: What's going on with this update? I only updated because it forced me to.My OCD can't take this ****.How do I remove this? I can't for some reason revert back to the previous version Also if someone can tell me how to stop updates from occurring ever....
  3. Folders missing from Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders missing from Navigation Pane: Desktop and Download folders missing from Navigation Pane. Also There is 2 Libraries Folders in navigation pane.OS : Windows 11 Home Insider Preview, Build 25140rs...
  4. Folders missing from Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders missing from Navigation Pane: Desktop and Download folders missing from Navigation Pane. Also There is 2 Libraries Folders in navigation pane.OS : Windows 11 Home Insider Preview, Build 25140rs...
  5. Save As Navigation Pane with blank folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As Navigation Pane with blank folders: Save As dialog boxes show many blank folders. I believe this was from iCloud Photos creating numerous instances. What registry values will I need to edit/remove to clean this up? Thanks. [ATTACH]...
  6. Duplicate Documents Folders in Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate Documents Folders in Navigation Pane: Hello everyone, Im having trouble with restoring Documents and Downloads folders in this pc. Initially i tried to change default folder locations ssd to hdd but it was a mess so I wanted to restore it back. Now im confused because whenever i try to "restore to default" at the...
  7. Add specific folders to Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add specific folders to Navigation Pane: Win10 Home x64 build 18363.836 Hello! With a lot of help from you all and many tutorials, I got my new Win10 system up and running, and set (for the most part) the way I like it. A few things I have not been able to find tutorials on (I'm sure they exist, I just haven't...
  8. Navigation pane keeps expanding folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Navigation pane keeps expanding folders: I have noticed that lately, the navigation pane has been expanding folders when opening them. That option is disabled in folder view settings. https://i.imgur.com/FcNSf9i.png https://i.imgur.com/Ext1HJd.png Noticed it on two separate computers. Its really annoying, any...
  9. Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder: Like the title says, I cannot get the navigation pane to expand to the currently open folder right now on one of my machines, it stays stuck on either Desktop or Quick Access. And mainly when navigating one of the virtual folders, like "My Documents". I think I need to go...
  10. navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    navigation pane: where do I control the navigation pane in w10 113744