Windows 10: Documents folder opens by default

Discus and support Documents folder opens by default in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I try to open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens the "Documents" Folder by default. I have to choose "Open" or "Open in New Window" to get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by crouthmr, Dec 24, 2015.

1. crouthmr Win User

Documents folder opens by default

When I try to open a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens the "Documents" Folder by default. I have to choose "Open" or "Open in New Window" to get it right. If I select "Open Windows Explorer" or double click on the folder, my Documents folder opens. I have reset every setting I can think of to default settings. I installed IoBit Advanced System Care9 Pro and was fiddling with a bunch of settings before this occurred. Please help!

:)

crouthmr, Dec 24, 2015
  2. Entegy Win User

OneNote stuck! Won't sync or open Notes.

Go to SkyDrive on your computer and move everything out of the Documents folder, then delete the Documents folder.

Now go to your Phone and reset Office (Settings>swipe left to get to 'applications'>Office>reset Office) and then try to open OneNote. It should remake the Documents folder on SkyDrive. If it can open a default notebook, try copying your data back to the
    Documents folder and see if you can open that.

Entegy, Dec 24, 2015
  3. CraigLong Win User
    when i delete a file from my desktop on windows 10 it also deletes the file on in my documents to the recycle bin then i have recover it and also puts the file back on my desktop

Don't move your default Documents folder to your Desktop. Place a shortcut
    to your Documents folder on your Desktop instead of the actual folder.

When you open a shortcut to the Documents folder you are actually working within the Documents folder itself. You are no longer working on the Desktop when you open such a shortcut.

If you want an actual folder on your desktop create any new folder on your Desktop and give it a unique name.

CraigLong, Dec 24, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Do you mean, when you click on any folder any where, or just the folder on the taskbar?

Edwin, Dec 24, 2015
  5. crouthmr Win User
    Any folder anywhere (on the desktop, in Explorer, on a USB drive).

crouthmr, Dec 24, 2015
  6. crouthmr Win User
    Sometimes a drive or even clicking on settings or control panel in the start menu opens the documents folder

crouthmr, Dec 24, 2015
  7. crouthmr Win User
    Also, most shortcuts and applications as well (i.e. tried to run command.exe to check the default programs and the shortcut and the primary file both open the documents folder).

Ive run antivirus, malware, and several windows cleaners.

crouthmr, Dec 24, 2015
  8. crouthmr Win User

Well, unable to solve this issue, I just had to reinstall and rebuild Win10. *Sleepy

crouthmr, Dec 25, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    That's what I usually do! *Wink
    Stay away from that 'IoBit' stuff, most of it is just nasty.

Edwin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Documents folder opens by default - Similar Threads - Documents folder opens

2. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  3. Default document folder restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default document folder restore: I want to restore the default document folder on my windows 11. After I removed one drive my documents folder disapeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-document-folder-restore/130672cf-ecd7-4edb-8aac-8334343d79ba
  4. Changing folder type default to Documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing folder type default to Documents: I work with a lot of media files music / video and jpgs and frequently when I set a folder with one of this I get a bunch of utterly useless column headings which relate to album or music tracks, whereas without exception what I actually need is documents folder view each and...
  5. OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS

in Windows 10 Customization
    OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS: EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND...
  6. Changing the Default documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing the Default documents Folder: Hello. In my new PC my default documents folder is C:\Users\****\OneDrive\Documents and I would like to change it to just C:\Users\****\Documents as every app's document data is by default saved there and it slows down my connection when it uploads those files in the cloud....
  7. default "Documents" folder

default "Documents" folder: Can someone help me change my default "Documents" folder setting? What happened, I believe, is that when I was first installing W10, I was happily clicking through the setup checkboxes, asking if you want this there and that here, and something else over in this place. At...
  8. Issues with default "Documents" Folder

Issues with default "Documents" Folder: Hello, I'm at my wits end and am really hoping someone here can help! Windows appears to think my Pictures folder is my Documents folder. In the "This PC" shell, "Documents" no longer appears. Rather, I am seeing "Pictures" twice (picture below). Both instances of...
  9. Opening folder in "Documents"

Opening folder in "Documents": I can't access a folder in "Documents" ever since I got a new computer with a Windows update. Can you help me access it? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/opening-folder-in-documents/06a648ff-341e-473d-b97e-64fc40102620
  10. Default open with folder

Default open with folder: Hello, I have screwed up my default open folder with.. it all started by trying to set the default console to powershell, I have been messing around with registry settings but in the end I failed to set it up.. then I went and double clicked a folder to open it and...