Windows 10: Does 10 have anything like "Windows Easy Transfer" yet?

Discus and support Does 10 have anything like "Windows Easy Transfer" yet? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know there are numerous "good" reasons why the Easy Transfer tool was done away with by Microsoft, and I am not here to debate those reasons or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MAXAR RE, Mar 29, 2015.

1. MAXAR RE Win User

Does 10 have anything like "Windows Easy Transfer" yet?

I know there are numerous "good" reasons why the Easy Transfer tool was done away with by Microsoft, and I am not here to debate those reasons or re-hash discussions on these reasons. What I want to know is the following:

• Is the tool likely to make a return to 10 -- in any simple and easy-to-use form -- before 10 hits RTM?
    • Is there a simpler process than all of the sysprep/scripting solutions I have seen in my searches of this forum? Those seem directed at the technical folks who constantly wipe and install different versions of 10 while still wanting access to the same basic profiles.
    • Is there a free tool or nominally inexpensive tool that y'all have seen sucess with when trying to migrate user profiles (settings, files, list of installed programs) from Windows 7 computers to Windows 10?

There must be a simple way to do this if Microsoft wants 10 to be the success that 7 was and continues to be. Uploading everything to OneDrive is just not a solution for everyone, mainly grandparents and people with terrible ISPs that think DSL is fast enough for their customers.

:)

MAXAR RE, Mar 29, 2015

2. Easy Transfer "Fatal Error"

On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 22:33:33 +0000, JimNatsch wrote:

There's no need to use Easy Transfer, or anything like that. Simply

copy the files/settings you want to transfer from the Windows 7

computer to CDs, DVDs, or thumb drives, then copy them from those

media to the Windows 10 computer. That's what I always do.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP, Mar 29, 2015
  3. BjörnN Win User
    Open MIG file in WINDOWS 10

This was one bad reply.

It does not help the user in any way, please read what he wrote again.

I'm looking for a software like this as well, and i'm not surprised that MS does not have an official one...

I did find this software that i'm testing out and it seems to work just fine.

MIG Recovery and Viewer Utility (Vista/7 – USMT4 USMT3)

BjörnN, Mar 29, 2015
  4. linw Win User

5. MAXAR RE Win User
    Not sure why you thought upgrade-in-place instructions would answer my question. OBVIOUSLY things are simple if one just wants to do an upgrade of an existing 7/8 install. Heck, I could upgrade a box from 2000 all the way to 10 if I wanted to, that's child's play! Things are more challenging when one wants to do a clean install and import your profile or, as will be the case in 6 months, move your stuff to a brand new PC that shipped with 10.

MAXAR RE, Mar 29, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    The information that you were given is the only way I know of doing it( your old os and programs are kept in a file called old computer) you can easily extract what you need, but I suppose you can use the built in backup tool that is in Windows 7 and backup your program files or you can use an app such as Acronis

7. Long ago, there was an interesting app known as Alohabob PC Relocator -- and what it did was allow you to "migrate" your stuff from one PC to another. So, if you had Vista on one PC, and wanted to migrate to Win7 on another PC, you installed Alohabob on the first PC, ran the app to build a collection file and then, migrated the stuff to the Win7 PC. You could do that by copying the file, or you could do that by connecting the two PCs with an Ethernet crossover cable. I did it both ways.

And, with few notable exceptions, not only your data and settings, but also your apps, were copied to the new PC.

MS liked this so much they bought out Alohabob and rebranded the app with their own name -- and after a short while, pulled it from distribution! I think that is what is know as "buying out your competition".

Fortunately, LapLink is still around and they do have an app that does much the same thing -- allow you to migrate your stuff from one PC to another. I have used this, too, and it works quite well.

So, MS no longer offers the option of migrating apps from one PC to another. Whether LapLink will update their app for Win10 remains to be seen.

Mark Phelps, Mar 29, 2015
  8. bubdrum Win User

Not sure if you are still searching. But I came across something that might be worth a shot for you. As you know MS removed Easy Transfer from Win 8.1. However, if you have a Win7 pc nearby you can copy the migwiz folder from the System32 folder to a flash drive and then run it on a Win 8.1 machine without issue. Leads me to believe that this same method may be possible for Win10

bubdrum, Jun 7, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
    Kyhi, Jun 8, 2015
  10. Teddy Win User
    Zinstall guys already offer their "Easy Transfer" to Windows 10, as well as their full migration tools, because of course they do *Smile
    Even have a "Windows Easy Transfer" tutorial.

The catch? It's not free at all.
    Guess they are entitled to that, though, seeing as MS completely abandoned their migration efforts (see the Alohabob story above).

Teddy, Jun 10, 2015
  11. DavidY Win User
    The scanstate tool in the current version of the Windows 10 ADK (10075) doesn't seem to work so well though. My suggestion would be to wait for the next version.

DavidY, Jun 10, 2015
  12. owensjc Win User
    Easy Transfer has F'd up every profile I've ever tried it on.
    Profile Wizard, I've had 100% success with, both local and domain profiles.

ForensiT Free Downloads

owensjc, Jun 10, 2015
  13. poset Win User

You can still run Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 10. All you have to do is to copy two directories from your Windows 7/Windows 8: \Windows\system32\migration and \Windows\system32\migwiz to your destination system. Place them anywhere outside Windows hierarchy. Run migwiz\migwiz.exe

Tested on my own machine doing W7->W10 and W10->W10

poset, Jul 26, 2015
  14. Just understand that Windows Easy Transfer, by itself, does not allow you to transfer apps, only data and settings. It was the "alohabob add-on" that allowed for the transferring of apps, and that is what they pulled from distribution.

Mark Phelps, Jul 26, 2015
  15. Teddy Win User
    Zinstall (mentioned a few posts above) have a tool that transfers programs, too. They have a demo video on the Win10 upgrade tutorial page. It's more expensive, though.

Teddy, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Does 10 have anything like "Windows Easy Transfer" yet? - Similar Threads - Does anything Easy

2. Easy-Peasy PC2PC Transfer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easy-Peasy PC2PC Transfer?: I have a 10-year old Dell XPS 8700 desktop PC that is running Windows 10 and still working nicely. However, I know it can’t last forever, so I am being proactive and getting ready to purchase a new one. I am very concerned about moving everything from the old PC to the new....
  3. Easy-Peasy PC2PC Transfer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Easy-Peasy PC2PC Transfer?: I have a 10-year old Dell XPS 8700 desktop PC that is running Windows 10 and still working nicely. However, I know it can’t last forever, so I am being proactive and getting ready to purchase a new one. I am very concerned about moving everything from the old PC to the new....
  4. Transfer Windows& Data easy?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Windows& Data easy?: Hey there, my SSD where windows is installed is saturated, I don’t have any storage left on it, so I bought a nvme m.2 SSD and I wanted to know: Is there a program or software that does data and os transfer from one to another drive? The program can cost money I dont care...
  5. Using Windows Easy Transfer

Using Windows Easy Transfer: I used Windows Easy Transfer and stored the files on a flash drive. Can you access the files on the drive? the extension is mig. I cannot view what files were transferred. Once you have transferred the files to a new version of Windows is the stored files on the flash...
  6. WINDOWS Easy File Transfer Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOWS Easy File Transfer Windows 10: Can someone please confirm or otherwise that migwiz is back in the System32 folder? It seems to be on all my computers and I didn't put it there. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-easy-file-transfer-windows-10/456203f8-98d9-4741-942c-3f41a4e6807c"
  7. Windows Easy Transfer not in Windows 10 - how to transfer user profiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Easy Transfer not in Windows 10 - how to transfer user profiles: I used Windows Easy Transfer a lot years back. Any advice on a replacement? I see there are different suggestions: Lablink, USMT (I believe this is what Easy Transfer used), Z-install fx, but it is not easy to figure out what they do? Zinstall promises 100% migration...
  8. windows 7 easy transfer to windows 10 ?

windows 7 easy transfer to windows 10 ?: Moving files from a 2007 Dell laptop windows 7 to a 2018 Dell Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-easy-transfer-to-windows-10/4f286057-d948-4751-8e9d-65251580da46
  9. Does Windows10 have Easy transfer properties?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does Windows10 have Easy transfer properties?: Does windows 10 have Easy Transfer property? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-windows10-have-easy-transfer-properties/e24ec8a2-179a-44cd-b727-04b47cacd3bd
  10. Easy Transfer - W10 The solution

Easy Transfer - W10 The solution: Copy migwiz folder from any W7 machine to a USB drive and run migwiz.exe from there. Havent had any issues and have run on a dozen machines with W10 home & pro installed. No issues. Hopes this helps someone. Vinny O'Brien...