Windows 10: Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date?

Discus and support Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have been backing up my Win10 to external harddrives. However, when I check the harddrives, the only File History I can find was dated 1.31.18 It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jane824, Feb 6, 2018.

1. jane824 Win User

Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date?

I have been backing up my Win10 to external harddrives. However, when I check the harddrives, the only File History I can find was dated 1.31.18

It seems as if when I want to change the HD used, the laptop balks at this and I have to go to Adv. Settings and turn backup on again and specific the new HD I want used.

I did that today and backed up with a C type flashdrive and an external Western Digital...and both now show File Histories with today's date.

Is that what I need to do each time or am I missing something?

Thank you.

:)

jane824, Feb 6, 2018

2. Can I resstore my Win XP files to Win 10 by using a Win XP Backup

I Used Win XP Pro's Backup Utility to do the backup to my external HD. Backup was completed successfully.

I am now trying to do a backup/restore to win 10 using its backup/restore software but it will not recognize my external HD. The external HD shows up in File Explorer, Disk Management, and Device Manager. In fact I have already done a backup of Win 10
    on this external HD.

IrvinMaymon, Feb 6, 2018
  3. Can I resstore my Win XP files to Win 10 by using a Win XP Backup

I recently purchased Win 10 on a new Computer. I was using Win XP Pro. I made a back of Win XP on my external HD. I have tried to restore win XP files to Win 10 but Win 10 does not recognize my external HD. Earlier I was able to do a backup of Win
    10 on my external HD. Need Help!

IrvinMaymon, Feb 6, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. How are you doing this backup with Windows or disk image? Backup isn't so important now as you can download the latest Windows ISO for free if you save files to one drive or Google drive they are safe on the cloud

Samuria, Feb 6, 2018
  5. jane824 Win User
    I’ve used this method:

Select the Start​ button, select Settings > Update & security > Backup > Add a drive, and then choose an external drive or network location for your backups.

How would i indicate I want to send backup to my Onedrive?

jane824, Feb 6, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    You are using File History. The way this works is that once you have chosen a drive to hold your File History, backups will be automatically made to that drive until such time as you turn off File History or choose another drive for it to use. It is not designed for continually changing the backup destination, it is intended that you use the same drive so that a continuous history is created. This can be a USB drive that's not permanently available, because...

Select Drive for File History in Windows 10

It was (apparently) intended that File History would be removed in the Fall Creators Update and replaced by a new feature called Timeline. This did not happen. Timeline may yet make it into the next Features Update (1803?) due out in April this year.

Timeline feature will not make Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Bree, Feb 6, 2018
  7. RolandJS Win User
    I recommend using Macrium Reflect or EaseUS or AOMEI and making full images of the OS and Data partitions onto external media of your choosing; that and File History should give you good routine backups, and, restores when needed.

RolandJS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date? - Similar Threads - Does BackUp external

2. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  3. External HD for backup Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD for backup Question: I'd like to know what size external HD I should get, looks like my C drive is 222 GB?should I get a SSD? Is there anything else I should know about these ext H drives?I plan on cloning the whole disc if that matters....
  4. What software do you recommend to backup OneDrive to external HD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What software do you recommend to backup OneDrive to external HD?: Hi, I am looking for software to backup Onedrive data to an external hard drive, if possible that allows for incremental backups. Thanks a lot. Regards 177343
  5. Not able to backup files located on an external HD

Not able to backup files located on an external HD: Hi I need to backup mp3 files located on the external HD "XXX". I go to Control Panel and Backup settings and i set as backup untit the external drive "YYY", then i remove all the default folder to be backup music, documents, downloads and so on and I add a folder on HD...
  6. Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup: Current Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.329) I have a secondary 3TB External USB HD. Once formatted leaves me with 2.72 TB of storage. What I would like to do is have two partitions on this physical drive. Logical Drive K which would have about 600gb and that would leave...
  7. Backup folder not visible on external HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup folder not visible on external HD: On my 2 Tb WD external drive I have some standard folders that are visible. However I cant find the WD backup folder. My standard folders take up less than 500 Gb and it shows only 1.07 Mb is available. File explore options" are set to "Show hidden files, folders and...
  8. Windows 10 Backup to External HD Error

Windows 10 Backup to External HD Error: When using Windows 10 (thru the Control Panel Security feature backup and restore) and trying to create a backup of my computer to an external HD I get the following error message: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable. Details:Access is denied. Error Code:...
  9. win 10 hd backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    win 10 hd backup: have a dell 153765 laptop with 1tg and wd 2 tg external hd can i backup my win 10 hard drive with image to this external drive that has other files on it? data backups from this laptop and history files from another pc?...
  10. Backup does not automatically backup.

Backup does not automatically backup.: backup does not automatically backup. I have to go to settings and do it manually every time i want a file backed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-does-not-automatically-backup/de72d377-937c-4a24-b968-13c6994296d8