Windows 10: Does Choosing 'Keep personal Files only' remove installed apps?

Discus and support Does Choosing 'Keep personal Files only' remove installed apps? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What I mean is, if I select to keep my personal files only, will the installed programs be removed completely from my hard drive, or will they be moved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Legdotus, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Legdotus Win User

Does Choosing 'Keep personal Files only' remove installed apps?

What I mean is, if I select to keep my personal files only, will the installed programs be removed completely from my hard drive, or will they be moved to the Windows.Old folder like what happens in Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 ?

Because I would like to have them in the Windows.Old folder in case I might need some of the files there, but I want the installation to be clean as well.

:)

Legdotus, Jul 29, 2015

2. Does "Don't keep Personal Files" remove LINKED Library Content Folders?

Hey

As you have already linked Library, the data will not be saved. Make sure you take a backup next time.

Singh_s_King, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Does "Don't keep Personal Files" remove LINKED Library Content Folders?

Hello Community,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 after about 10 attempts of it rejecting my key when attempting clean installs.

Ultimately I went for the "Upgrade" on top of Windows 7 Home Premium, which is the first time I'm not doing a clean install.

When prompted if I wanted to keep Personal Files I chose to NOT keep them as I figured it would just affect files on C:\\ like a format + clean install.

However.

I later found that all three linked folders (My Pictures, My Music, My Videos) under F:\\#KJG\... are gone! The My Downloads folder is still there because I didn't link it up the last time I installed Windows 7.

So my question is:

Does "Don't keep Personal Files" during Windows Upgrade delete the actual folders on other harddrives than C:\\ if they are linked up as "My ********" libraries?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may provide.

Greetings,

Kevin

Note: the "My *******" libraries" is not a curse word but rather a wildcard for Pictures/Music/Videos/Documents.

KevinGelking, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Does Choosing 'Keep personal Files only' remove installed apps?

Keep Personal Files only will Only keep items such as your documents.

The programs will be moved to windows.old under Program files.

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  5. Legdotus Win User
    Hmm, and if I select Clean Install I guess it will move everything to the Windows.Old folder?

Legdotus, Jul 29, 2015
  6. A Clean install would move everything yes, unless you tell it to format the Hard Drive, at which point you would not have that option.

Windows Sniper, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Does Choosing 'Keep personal Files only' remove installed apps?

1. Does Choosing 'Keep personal Files only' remove installed apps? - Similar Threads - Does Choosing 'Keep

2. Keep Personal files and apps greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keep Personal files and apps greyed out: what can I do???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keep-personal-files-and-apps-greyed-out/b922a781-3762-403f-8bab-6684ad56b2ac
  3. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...: I went through the installer process for Windows 11 as usual with no issues currently on Win 10 19043.1165. However, when it reaches the Windows 11 Setup process on the "Choose What to Keep" screen, the "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options are...
  4. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...: I went through the installer process for Windows 11 as usual with no issues currently on Win 10 19043.1165. However, when it reaches the Windows 11 Setup process on the "Choose What to Keep" screen, the "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options are...
  5. "Keep Personal Files and Apps" and "Keep Personal Files Only" options greyed out during...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Re-install windows with keep personal files and apps

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Re-install windows with keep personal files and apps: My windows is currently acting strange. For example it wont let me access the control panel giving me an error message and when I start or restart my laptop explorer.exe doesnt run and I have to manually start it from the task manager. I want to fix windows with the keep...
  7. choose keep personal file & apps in upgarade this pc option

choose keep personal file & apps in upgarade this pc option: if i choose this option so my data which saved in drives C:,D:,H:,F: will not be losing ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/choose-keep-personal-file-apps-in-upgarade-this-pc/72652abd-81e8-4537-ae17-b8e307567c88
  8. I did a re-install of Windows 10 to keep only personal data, but apps were not removed

I did a re-install of Windows 10 to keep only personal data, but apps were not removed: I did a reinstall of Windows 10 using installation media, with the options "Keep Personal Data" and "All apps are removed". But no space was freed, and all my old software remains on C-drive, though I can't access it as they're not installed. Do I need to do a proper clean...
  9. Keep Personal Files Only; what will be kep?

Keep Personal Files Only; what will be kep?: Hello guys, I am trying to install Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 machine. But due to the laptop being bought in Japan back when I was there, it gives an error stating I cannot keep files app etc. due to different language and it only gives me the option of Keep Personal Files...
  10. Keep personal files only

Keep personal files only: Hello, Recently i tried downloading windows 10 when 2 options popped up 1. keep personal files only, and 2. is nothing. well i wanna choose the keep personal files only. but i wanna know if it will delete all of my games, ty for the ones who help. *Cool 30146