Windows 10: Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu?

Discus and support Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I recently decided to add Macrium Reflect to my boot menu (for convenience) and it had me wondering...If I cloned or made an image of my computer and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by KabyBlue, May 24, 2018.

1. KabyBlue Win User

Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu?

I recently decided to add Macrium Reflect to my boot menu (for convenience) and it had me wondering...If I cloned or made an image of my computer and copyied it to a new machine, is the boot menu retained?

Meaning...would the option to boot into Macrium transfer over to the new PC or will I have to create it again? I don't see a MReflect partition on my disk but I do believe the BCD store is saved on the C: drive.

:)

KabyBlue, May 24, 2018
  2. slance310 Win User

Boot/SDD cloning

Hi,

I would suggest making a bootable CD or Flash Drive of the Macrium... Even the free version should have that ability... Possibly the Samsung as well..

That way there is no running process interfering...

It would be even better if you created an Image of the old drive, and then restored it to the new one... You would also then have a backup image...

When doing this from bootable media, be sure to do a RESTART, not a Shutdown and boot... There is a feature called Fast Startup that may interfere with the process when you try to boot with the new drive.

slance310, May 25, 2018
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    boot from cloned ssd installed on cd drive

Mahesh,

I do not know what is wrong because I do not know anything about the cloning tool you used. I suspect that the missing element might well be the MBR - this needs to be included as it is the MBR that the computer looks to in order to identify the disk to
    boot from.

Note that my SSD did not end up with those two additional partitions before the boot partition:-

Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu? [​IMG]

• Mine just has the System reserved partition before the boot partition. Your first one was probably called the System reserved partition on your original HDD but has lost its name in the cloning - that makes me doubt the success of the cloning procedure/tool.
    • I don't know what the original purpose of that 16MB RAW partition was.

• I followed the procedure suggested by the regular forum contributor JWStuart at

How to move from a smaller SSD to a larger SSD
      . I know that JWS was changing SSDs rather than replacing an HDD with an SSD but the procedure was still generally applicable.
    • I used
      Acronis TI
      to restore a system image to the SSD. It was bootable straightaway. [Acronis have always provided a free 30 day trial version that you might wish to use]
    • I used
      MiniTool Partition Wizard
      to set up "partition alignment" / "partition offset" but that was definitely used in setting up afterwards [the SSD booted beforehand with no problems].

The only sensible suggestion I can make is that you repeat the whole procedure using JWS's guide and basing it on a system image of your HDD that is restored to the SSD.

You might also benefit from changing the title of your question [click on the blue
    Edit control just underneath the question]. If you call it something like
    Cloned SSD does not boot then you are more likely to attract the attention of those skilled in this subject such as JWStuart.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, May 25, 2018
Thema:

Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu?

1. Does Cloning or Imaging with Macrium copy the boot menu? - Similar Threads - Does Cloning Imaging

2. Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium cloned / restored images to ANOTHER drive will not boot? MBR: I hope some of you might be able to shed some light on boot issues I'm experiencing with my cloned boot images. A little background I currently boot from an SSD which is in MBR format; booting from a UEFI compatible motherboard. I also have a second SSD which is may DATA...
  3. cloning with Macrium

cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  4. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  5. Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging)

Free Macrium for Linux Imaging and restoring (Not cloning but imaging): Hi folks The standalone version of Free Macrium will backup and restore Linux systems -- but with a slight proviso you will probably have to re-generate the bootloader / grub on the first boot of the restored system. I'm specifying IMAGING the systems and not cloning them as...
  6. cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD

cloning (not imaging) speed -- Macrium vs DD: Hi folks I'm talking about Cloning here not imaging which is a separate methodology and Macrium does perfectly with it (both performance and reliability wise). However on Cloning Macrium performs rather worse on Windows than using DD on most Linux systems fairly...
  7. Macrium Image Won't Boot

Macrium Image Won't Boot: Lenovo Thinkpad E531, legacy BIOS mode, Win 10 Pro. Objective: To image entire current 300GB HD to a 500GB HD. Used Diskpart to wipe the 500GB drive first, then formatted it as GPT/NTFS/no drive letter. Imaged the 300GB to the 500GB with Macrium Reflect 7.2. No errors after...
  8. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  9. Booting from Macrium Free clone…

in Windows 10 Support
    Booting from Macrium Free clone…: When I joined this forum it became obvious that Macrium was the software of choice for backing up so I have installed it and am doing my best to get it to run. Now what I want to do initially is to make a bootable clone. From the MF User Guide … I click on ‘clone this disk’...
  10. Booting Macrium usb image

Booting Macrium usb image: We are discussing how to boot from a usb image made with Macrium Reflect in this thread: http://www.eightforums.com/general-s...ash-drive.html I just thought I would mention it here. It contains good info about Macrium. Delete this if it is not wanted. I don't want...