Windows 10: Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened?

Discus and support Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; This question is more to confirm I haven't overlooked anything. I've been looking through the settings for the option to switch to the new tab when... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by gzt7d8, Jul 17, 2015.

1. gzt7d8 Win User

Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened?

This question is more to confirm I haven't overlooked anything. I've been looking through the settings for the option to switch to the new tab when opened. This feature exists in IE and Chrome has an extension for it, but I'm not seeing it in Edge.

So have I missed anything?

Thanks,

:)

gzt7d8, Jul 17, 2015

2. Why doesn't EDGE automatically go to a new tab when you right click & pick Open In New Tab on phones or PCs?

We all obviously want to go see it but we also want to leave what's open open. Internet Explorer has always had a Setting at Tools > Internet Options on the General tab after clicking the TABS button and down in the TABBED BROWSING section that has
    said ALWAYS SWITCH TO NEW TABS WHEN THEY ARE CREATED.

On my Nokia Lumia 950-XL, I see it swirling the tab icon down in the lower left as it creates the new tab and starts downloading the page but then I need to manually do stuff to go see it. Why make a user do that?

Did the EDGE Windows 10 Desktop & Mobile design staff & management not get the memo or read all of the user polls?

I'll add this in the Internet Explorer category forum since there isn't any EDGE forum listed yet for some reason. That's weird.

I mean for this to apply to the forums of both normal computers and Windows phones like my Nokia Lumia 950-XL with is my 2nd. My first was a Lumia 635.

I don't see a choice of EDGE as a Category for this Discussion, which is totally weird, so I'll just stick it in Internet Explorer.

Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened? [​IMG]

Jeff A. Davis, Jul 17, 2015
  3. zemaitis Win User
    New tabs in Microsoft Edge

Crickets. Still no resolution and very disappointed with EDGE. If you say "open in a new tab", then go and do just that. Please add "Always switch to new tabs when they are created" as a setting, as it is currently in IE.

zemaitis, Jul 17, 2015
  4. Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened?

Afraid I can't answer you as I'm looking for the same thing.

I found the old 'Internet Options' settings under Settings/Network and Internet/Ethernet/Internet Options.

I have this set up to automatically switch to a new tab when opened, but so far it's not working.

Maybe someone else has found this?

SaggyMaggyPoo, Jul 26, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Switch what to a new tab? In Edge, you can choose what happens when you open Edge, as below. Is this not what you mean?

Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened? [​IMG]

Mystere, Jul 26, 2015
  6. I have interpreted the OP as follows (this is my problem anyway):

When I am using the interweb I often want to open a link in a new tab and to make sure I can do this I right click and choose to open in new tab.

In Internet Options in IE, it is possible to choose a setting to switch to a new tab when opened (from the tab you are already on). So I open something in a new tab and automatically move to that tab, I don't have to click onto it.

See Internet Options screenshot below. As I said in my post above, I can still find these Internet Options in Edge, and the settings are the same as for IE, but they don't seem to work in Edge.

Apologies to the OP if I've misunderstood.

7. Mystere Win User
    Ahh.. I see. The phrasing made it sound like "When you open Edge" not, "When opening a link in a new tab, switch to that tab".

I don't know of any such setting either.

Mystere, Jul 26, 2015
  8. Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened?

*Sad*Sad

9. Interesting - I've just left clicked on some links in posts on the forum, and they have opened in a new tab AND I've automatically been switched to that tab. But when I right click on the same link and choose to Open in New Tab it DOESN'T automatically take me to the new tab.

I guess this means individual website (or post) settings that switch you to new tabs automatically take precedence.

But it still leaves the original problem: how to right click/Open in New Tab and automatically switch to the tab (which is possible in IE but not in Edge).

SaggyMaggyPoo, Jul 27, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    The forum software is using Javscript to open the links in a new window, which most browsers open in a new tab. When doing that, it comes to the forefront. When using the right click, it's not executing javascript so it uses the browsers default behavior.

Mystere, Jul 27, 2015
  11. CmmTch Win User
    I've also been looking for that option in Edge, I don't think it's there yet. There are some forums like this one and sevenforums that open a link in a new tab/window that seem forum/site specific. I go on other forums that open a link in the same window/tab, that follows with what Mystere says about the javascript setting for individual sites.

I've also notice when you click the + sign on a tab to open a new tab it stays in the background, oftentimes when I want to go to another site I just open a new tab and click a bookmark, most time I have several sites/tabs up at the same time.

CmmTch, Jul 28, 2015
  12. Strat79 Win User
    The only workaround I have found is by holding "Control + Shift" and click the link. Doesn't matter if it is middle mouse click or standard left click as long as "CNTL+SHIFT" is held in. It sucks but a temp fix till they fix it for good.

Strat79, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened?

1. Does Edge have a setting to switch to New Tab when opened? - Similar Threads - Does Edge setting

2. Edge opens home page on new Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Edge opens home page on new Tab: Latest version of Edge. New tab opens home page. Used to open blank page. How do I get the blank page back? What I find doing a search is for older versions (apparently) or refers to custom in settings but all that does is open a new page in a Tab. 183159
  3. Will Edge open a new tab or something when it updates?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Will Edge open a new tab or something when it updates?: When I opened Edge in incognito mode just now, it loaded a new tab with the Microsoft Edge at Microsoft website. But I can't find the link now and I didn't let the website load fully. I just noticed that Edge updated earlier. So, I'm wondering if that's the case. submitted...
  4. new tab open in new edge

in Browsers and Email
    new tab open in new edge: sometimes when i login after sleep a new tab opens in new edge by itself it is different everytime 158737
  5. Opening edge with set tab

in Browsers and Email
    Opening edge with set tab: I am running Edge Chromium at the moment and when I close down it shuts all opens tabs - I don't have a problem with that but what I would like it for me to open Edge so that Outlook.com mail opens automatically in the first tab on start up or closing all tabs and selecting...
  6. Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge: In previous versions of Windows and IE, you could change the order of tabs you switch to when using Ctrl + Tab. The 2 choices were to just cycle through each tab or use the most recent order. The latter is the one I have always used as it fits my purposes best. The default...
  7. How Do You Automatically Switch To New Tab When Opened in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How Do You Automatically Switch To New Tab When Opened in Edge: When you open a new tab, either by clicking with the middle mouse button, CTRL + clicking the link or right-clicking link > Open in New Tab, how do you automatically switch to that new tab when you do this, like you could in Internet Explorer? [img] 9385
  8. switch to new tab when opened in edge

in Browsers and Email
    switch to new tab when opened in edge: How do you make Edge display the contents of a new tab that you have downloaded by right clicking link? The tab is there after the right click but do I have to click on the tab, or can I set it to open automatically, if so How? 34640
  9. Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Switch tab order (Ctrl + Tab) in Edge: In previous versions of Windows and IE, you could change the order of tabs you switch to when using Ctrl + Tab. The 2 choices were to just cycle through each tab or use the most recent order. The latter is the one I have always used as it fits my purposes best. The default...
  10. How to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab.

in Browsers and Email
    How to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab.: There seems no way to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab. It either opens in the existing tab or creates a new closed tab, depending on which mouse button you use. 13145

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft edge automatically switch to new tab

2. automatically switch to new tab in edge

3. microsoft edge switch to new tab when opened

4. automatically open new tab in edge,
  5. automatically go to new tab in edge,
  6. how to open the links in new tab and still work on the xisiting tab in edge,
  7. switch to new tab when openend edge,
  8. how to let microsoft edge open tabs when opend,
  9. switch to new tab in Edge,
  10. how do you automatically switch to new tab when opened in edge,
  11. automatically switch tabs in microsoft edge,
  12. how to get edge to switch to new tabs