Windows 10: Does Everyone Have Very Slow Updates?

Discus and support Does Everyone Have Very Slow Updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Last night i went to shut down and got the blue screen w/ the swirly dots saying "don't switch off, preparing windows" stuff. i waited. i ran the bath.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wolfie138, Nov 13, 2016.

1. wolfie138 Win User

Does Everyone Have Very Slow Updates?

Last night i went to shut down and got the blue screen w/ the swirly dots saying "don't switch off, preparing windows" stuff. i waited. i ran the bath. waitied a bit more. had a bath. mid-way drying my hair it appears to have finished and shut down. it seems a regular thing that W10 has an inordinately long time to prep/install updates compared to W7, or am i just having issues?

:)

wolfie138, Nov 13, 2016

2. Recommend Me a Phone

Hi everyone,

Currently got an N96 with the latest firmware. It does everything I want - but it's very annoying, keeps crashing and going slow.

I'd like to swap to another Nokia S60 device that's quicker and has similar features - I'm considering an E71?

What other options do I have?

naxtek---01, Nov 13, 2016
  3. EMaini Win User
    A few quirks! Does everyone have these?

I have an AT&T Samsung Focus

I have noticed the following:

1) In Start --> Settings --> System --> Cellular: No matter if I turn it on or off, it only ever says AT&T. When Wi-fi is off is says turned off and same for Bluetooth and locatoin but cellular always just says AT&T

2) The virtual keyboard: Pressing and holding on the language code (e.g. the En to the right of space) display Fr 3 times. I see the following De | Es | Fr | Fr | En | Fr

3) I have the following email setup: Outlook (Work), Yahoo, Google, Hotmail and my ISP. I can get mail and I have no problems with that, however, the notification icons on the locked screen are not always there if I get email from all of them. For example,
    say I recieved 3 emails via outlook, 2 via google, 1 via yahoo and one via my ISP account -- I only ever see the notification icons for Outlook and yahoo and the other ones are random

4) IE mobile: If I double tap the screen, sometimes I get 3 levels of zoom, sometimes I only get 2 levels of zoom. I rather have the 3 levels but most of the time it is just 2.

5) Email notifications tones. Sometimes I get multiple, sometimes I get just one

6) Text messages: I love the fact that it tells me how many characters I have left before I move over to two messages, I hate that this not working 100% of the time. It just sometime does not display unless I backspace or move the dialog bubble. maybe
    it is a simple display refresh problem

I am sure there are others. none of these are show stoppers for me. I am not giving the phone back or other drastic comments I have seen. Just wondering if these are OS (meaning, everyone has these) or hardware specific quirks.

EMaini, Nov 13, 2016
  4. Does Everyone Have Very Slow Updates?

It depends how fast is your computer, bur regular maintenance should speed it up.

You can download WC.bat and run it as admin, it will perform a system cleanup.

There are tool to do some cleanup like CCleaner or Wise Disk Cleaner.

TairikuOkami, Nov 13, 2016
  5. MartinO Win User
    Exactly what I've been seeing and I believe many others here too. It's been starting to take longer on my 12yr old Dell as well as lighting fast new Surface Pro 4. Hell, the Pro 4 even ran really hot when it appeared to have gotten stuck on the last cumulative update, leading me to shut it down out of fear it would melt the core!! jk jk... but it did get really really warm

On the bright side, your update still went through, AND faster than the time you needed in the bathroom. What's that telling ya huh? lol

MartinO, Nov 13, 2016
  6. wolfie138 Win User
    i was wondering if it as downloading as a zip-type thing then taking ages to unpack it or whatever, i dunno. odd thing is, i went to "installed updates" to check the install and size, and the last thing on the list was from a week ago, so i've no idea what it did the other night :-/

wolfie138, Nov 14, 2016
  7. Wullail Win User
    All our PCs got some sort of update recently , they all sat there saying 'don't turn off , preparing to update' , no % as there normally was , no info either, they all took a long time...well , longer than normal to shut down...

Wullail, Nov 14, 2016
  8. grouser Win User

It appears I am not alone in thinking this,The last patch Tuesday took over an hour from download to install to getting my Computer ready,it never took this long when I was using windows 7,so something as changed in their procedure..

grouser, Nov 15, 2016
  9. wolfie138 Win User
    if i'm reading the other forums here right, i think it was another 700+Mb effort, which maybe would explain the inordinate amount of time taken to unpack/perpare/whatever. still odd that it does all that but doesn't list it in the installs.
    really miss W7's approach, where you'd get a pop-up then be able to look/tick things available.

wolfie138, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Everyone Have Very Slow Updates? - Similar Threads - Does Everyone Very

2. Very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow: I am trying to downgrade my extremely slow windows 10 laptop to windows 7 but I got an error saying Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer and it even takes so long to startup and show my account and password box and when I type in my password...
  3. Very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow: I am trying to downgrade my extremely slow windows 10 laptop to windows 7 but I got an error saying Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer and it even takes so long to startup and show my account and password box and when I type in my password...
  4. the very unstable windows that everyone ignores

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the very unstable windows that everyone ignores: i leave with three PC's on, one is connected to one with RDPI come back and one is at a black screen that says because of a protocol errorreconnect to RDP and it connects as if nothing happened, unstable but ignore it, who cares RDP works for you so obviously it works...
  5. the very unstable windows that everyone ignores

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the very unstable windows that everyone ignores: i leave with three PC's on, one is connected to one with RDPI come back and one is at a black screen that says because of a protocol errorreconnect to RDP and it connects as if nothing happened, unstable but ignore it, who cares RDP works for you so obviously it works...
  6. Updating very slow.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating very slow.: I just downloaded the update assistant & updating my windows version. But after downloading it is taking very long time to complete it. I am stuck at 95% of completing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-very-slow/07a2a5b7-4fe2-4c0e-9f9f-667e399a561d
  7. Windows update is VERY SLOW

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update is VERY SLOW: Hello, PROBLEM: Windows is very slow at signing in and responds also very slowly while interacting with the interface in any way. I am in the middle of reinstalling programs/apps but everything is painfully slow. What can be done? BACKGROUND Windows installed some...
  8. very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    very slow: my device very slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-slow/eaf30d84-58ab-4c41-9f93-dc2c1b7f95ce
  9. Very very slow computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very very slow computer: My laptop Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series became very very slow in running all applications etc since last 2 weeks. It started after installing few window updates. How to get out of it. Please help....
  10. Very, very slow internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very slow internet: Good Morning For the past week I have been having problems with internet pages being very slow to load, having to be constantly refreshed to display the content and often not displaying the content at all despite repeated attempts. I have had my telephone line and...