Windows 10: Does File History backup Changed/Added Files or All Monitored Files?

Discus and support Does File History backup Changed/Added Files or All Monitored Files? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro v1803 I'm sure when I first used File History with Windows 8.x or Windows 10 (can't quite remember) it backed up everything then backed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by bradavon, Jun 18, 2018.

1. bradavon Win User

Does File History backup Changed/Added Files or All Monitored Files?

Windows 10 Pro v1803

I'm sure when I first used File History with Windows 8.x or Windows 10 (can't quite remember) it backed up everything then backed up news files plus copies of changed files.

I noticed the other day loads of files were missing in the File History backup (e.g. many files the Documents folder). I "Turned Off" File History, Deleted the FileHistory folder from my backup drive entirely and also deleted this folder:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory

I restarted the PC and setup File History again. I'm happy with the Default folders it backs up (I Exclude my Music and Video folders).

As far as I can see it's working but it never did an initial backup of the all the folders it's monitoring and as I've not changed much in my Documents folder the past few days it's empty in the File History "Restore personal files" window.

If I change a file this gets backed up and if I add a file this gets backed up.

But it's a pretty useless backup tool if it doesn't do the initial backup of everything. It's only useful if I need to Revert to an older version of a file that's changed since I enabled File History.

OneDrive is also backing up the same folders to the cloud too, not sure if this conflicts with File History.

Thanks

:)

bradavon, Jun 18, 2018

2. File History backups

Hi William,

To help you with your File History backups issue, we suggest running the
    System File Checker
    with the steps found on this
    thread

Update us on the results.

Regards.

Angela Pun, Jun 19, 2018
  3. S.D.K Win User
    File History & OneDrive on Demand

I know that "files on demand" aren't saved on my computer. However, I still have the following problems:

• After starting a new File History backup from scratch (as suggested in the first response) the majority of my Onedrive , including almost all files that are marked as "Always Keep on this Device" are not backed up.
    • Even for files marked as "Files on Demand" - surely File History should be able to back them up anyway? The whole point of a good backup system is that you have copies of files in multiple places (and OneDrive's cloud system only counts as 1). The creation
      of the file history would be download heavy as it copies every file to my backup device, but after that it should only have to download single files as changes are made.

S.D.K, Jun 19, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

File History

Hi Anastasia,

File History creates a backup of your files automatically and stores the backup on an external hard drive. It might be disconnected for too long that may cause interruption. To address your inquiry, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reconnect your File History drive.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Does File History backup Changed/Added Files or All Monitored Files? - Similar Threads - Does File History

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  4. Files/backup/File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files/backup/File History: I have an external hard drive for backups and files history, I went to storage and directed the files to its drive, so how do I stop 10 from sending it to onedrive and my external drive? Now that the program files are not on my C drive do I have to reinstall 10 again?...
  5. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  6. file history, adding folders to backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    file history, adding folders to backup: How do you backup file history? windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-adding-folders-to-backup/b3568a24-a3c3-48dd-a5c6-e625870bcd15
  7. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  8. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. File History does not backup Desktop

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History does not backup Desktop: Using Goodsync - 2 evenings wasted trying to fix File History - no more 20201