Windows 10: Does ICO containing multiple resolutions matter in loading speed?

Discus and support Does ICO containing multiple resolutions matter in loading speed? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Basically the title says it all. I am using custom icons for my desktop and was thinking if the ICO file contains multiple resolutions (16×16; 32×32;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by csenger41, Dec 29, 2017.

1. csenger41 Win User

Does ICO containing multiple resolutions matter in loading speed?

Basically the title says it all.
    I am using custom icons for my desktop and was thinking if the ICO file contains multiple resolutions (16×16; 32×32; 64×64; etc) does it matter in desktop loading speed and/or memory usage?

:)

csenger41, Dec 29, 2017

2. Some Windows icons become smaller while others remain the right size.

Update: it seems removing Winaero Tweakers effects does not solve the problem, even after restarting the explorer. This issue may stem from the ico file resolution, or a minor bug.

I look forward to your reply.

HadiKhan5518, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Psyphus Win User
    Changing default drive icon in autorun.inf?

Good day,

I've read on numerous sites that in order to change the default icon for a specific drive, all you need to do is create or modify the autorun.inf
    file located on the drive's root directory so that it contains the following:

[autorun]

icon=name_of_file.ico

or

[autorun]

icon=subdirectory\name_of_file.ico

The "name_of_icon.ico" file is whatever filename contains the icon that is to replace the default drive icon. After this is done, the properties of these two files would be modified to "read only" and "hidden."

Although this method works great for icon files (.ico) that contain
    one icon, I have a question regarding icon files (.ico, .dll, etc) that contain
    multiple icons: How can
    one specific icon be selected
    from an icon file that contains many icons? Can it be done using the
    autorun.inf file? If so, then would you please let me know how to do it?

Thank you!

Psyphus, Dec 29, 2017
  4. LMiller7 Win User

In theory both load time and memory usage would increase. But in practice the difference would be so trivial you could never measure, let alone notice it. Most icons on the desktop will have multiple resolutions and this is in fact recommended practice.

LMiller7, Dec 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Does ICO containing multiple resolutions matter in loading speed? - Similar Threads - Does ICO containing

2. Move multiple folders that contains specific files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move multiple folders that contains specific files: [ATTACH] Hello everyone. I need help. I am driving crazy with something that may be simple. I have a folder with 5000 movies. See the screenshot: https://preview.redd.it/qtseh9wul0ga1.png?width=1437&format=png&auto=webp&s=bde881bb11363c8d33c320639653b9fc21cd373b I want...
  3. JPG to ICO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG to ICO: My computer is running, Windows 10.But that's not an issue, in this case.To replace the picture, on a desktop icon.You have to convert, a JPEG. To an, ICO file.Whatever your, picture format is.It must be converted. To an, ICO file.For example, my movie icon. I prefer, cartoon...
  4. JPG to ICO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG to ICO: My computer is running, Windows 10.But that's not an issue, in this case.To replace the picture, on a desktop icon.You have to convert, a JPEG. To an, ICO file.Whatever your, picture format is.It must be converted. To an, ICO file.For example, my movie icon. I prefer, cartoon...
  5. JPG to ICO

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files: Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO FilesFor instance using intune to deploy desktop shortcuts, both SYSTEM or USER and they load and appear just fine in Windows 10.Upgrade or Fresh install a Windows 11 System and login, the shortcuts load but have no...
  7. Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO Files: Windows 11 Desktop Shortcut Icons will not load URL ICO FilesFor instance using intune to deploy desktop shortcuts, both SYSTEM or USER and they load and appear just fine in Windows 10.Upgrade or Fresh install a Windows 11 System and login, the shortcuts load but have no...
  8. loading speed so low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    loading speed so low: hello, when I start Windows 10 pros on my laptop and open the chrome then my website startup is slow kindly tell me what's a problem with his ENABLEAPK SO what to do tell me about this...
  9. Multiple screen resolution profiles?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple screen resolution profiles?: Hi, I use multiple hi-res displays and don't have the strongest PC, so i was looking for a program to change the resolution of all screens to a different resolution for when i'm gaming. So like a profile with two or more "profiles" for the resolutions of the different...
  10. Multiple monitor resolution problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple monitor resolution problem: I have two monitors with different resolution. The first one is 1366x768 laptop, which is set to 100% scaling, the second one is an external 4000 monitor set to 150%. The problem occurs when I open or move the correctly opened dialogue box from the external monitor to the...