Windows 10: Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort?

Discus and support Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 laptop. Core i7 6500, 8GB RAM. I'm a computer science student, so every bit of performance I can get is welcome.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GbeTech, Jan 15, 2017.

1. GbeTech Win User

Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort?

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 500 laptop. Core i7 6500, 8GB RAM.

I'm a computer science student, so every bit of performance I can get is welcome.

I'm thinking of creating a dual boot system of two Windows 10 installations, where one is tweaked towards the performance extreme, and the other for comfort and utility.

For example, the performance one will have much less services enabled, almost no programs installed except for Visual Studio, no animations etc, and the other will be rich with "everything I could need". uTorrent will be there, VLC, Ultramon etc.

I'm assuming a separate registry, c:\users, c:\windows and so on will help each system to be more stable, and do its designated job better.

Basically I'm tired of trying to find out the "right balance" between performance / usability (or stability) in a pretty mediocre laptop. Might as well have 2 operating systems.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot,
    Gilad

:)

GbeTech, Jan 15, 2017
  2. Watchful1 Win User

Fujitsu Lifebook freezes on initial setup

That does sound like you've pinpointed the problem. It makes sense that it's related to the dual graphics.

I'll try again, but I was unable to boot into safe mode. It crashed even then.

Watchful1, Jan 15, 2017
  3. 10 won't allow me to DISABLE automatic updates?

Dual boot (with two Windows versions) is just a waste of HDD space IMO. Just stick with 8.1

If you want 10, test it in Hypervisor, and then when ready to make the jump, remove 8.1 and install 10 on the bare metal.

Dual boot makes better sense when you're dual booting with Windows and another OS like a Linux or FreeBSD.

windowsforme, Jan 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You may have to buy a second copy I would think it's not worth the trouble

Samuria, Jan 15, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    I considered dual-booting Win10 RTM and Win10 IP on a Desktop but having rehabbed some computers chose to keep the 2 on separate machines. Basically if one had a problem I could always use the other. Notebooks/Laptops are a different thing in that only the RAM and HDD can be interchanged/upgraded.

In your case I'd keep the i7 for performance and for only about 3 times the cost for getting a copy of Win10 I'd get an i3 or i5 or AMD equivalent with Win10 installed for serious/required work.

Berton, Jan 15, 2017
  6. Based on your description of requirements I'd go for a second computer instead of dual booting. As Berton mentioned an i3 or i5 computer would be enough for serious work. Check out my profile for more info for my computer details. That one is enough for VisualStudio. If I need to create Huge virtualized systems while coding, then a desktop computer with enough CPU cores and RAM would be required. But for my testing purposes in VMs my i5 and 8GB RAM is enough for running 2 VMs and VisualStudio in the host at the same time. Not super fast but it's fast enough to do some basic application testing.

Stick your torrent stuff on a dedicated desktop or laptop computer that is plugged to LAN. I use one computer for work only, one for entertainment/convenience and a third one for downloading stuff and serving files to the other 2.

slicendice, Jan 16, 2017
  7. One additional note. When I was at school studying computer science, my laptop was faster than all the i7 desktop computers over there. Only thing that was faster on the desktops was USB3.0 speeds.

We did VisualStudio, Hyper-V, Windows Server, SQL, VMWare etc...and every time while the computers were crunching something, my laptop was done first and the others followed seconds or minutes later, depending on the task. Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort? :)

slicendice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does it make sense to Dual-Boot W10 - Performance, tweaked / Comfort? - Similar Threads - Does sense Dual

2. Lowest resource tweaks for dual boot windows install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lowest resource tweaks for dual boot windows install: I have a dual boot linux-windows setup and i main my linux build, and i only use the windows 10 install for 2 things; using the adobe suite and playing games. This got me wondering, since there is a lot I dont need & i dont care about how windows looks I would love for it to...
  3. W10 Dual Boot problem

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Dual Boot problem: I have a Dell Model 9020 Small Form computer that I am working on for a friend. First I have been Duel Booting Windows & Ubuntu for years on different computers and have never run into this problem. The Dell 9020 has W10 Pro on it & it opens fine. When I install Ubuntu...
  4. Does it make any sense to upgrade to Win10?

Does it make any sense to upgrade to Win10?: I built my current PC about 10 years ago. It's always worked well but is now showing it's age and slowing down. I have Win7 and love it but I know it's not a great idea to keep using it with discontinued MS support. I'm building a new one in the next 6ish months but I'm...
  5. Does dual-booting affect windows performance?

Does dual-booting affect windows performance?: Note: This question is because I'm trying to diagnose the cause for low performance. Personal context: I have been using windows forever, and around 5 years back I started using ubuntu because of school and now job related work. I have also dual-booted many systems and they...
  6. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  7. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  8. A fix that does not make sense

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A fix that does not make sense: My OS is Windows 10 and I have office 2007 installed which I’ve had for quite some time. Every now and then when I open MS Word it goes through the configuration process before it opens. It seems as there are a few different ways to fix it. One way was to go to Control Panel...
  9. Dual boot w7 + w10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot w7 + w10: You are welcome. Glad we could help. Hi guys! Please help! So I have 2 ssd drive. Each of it has a working operating system (w7, w10). How to make the w10 dual boot menu? You had written, that we have to use the bcdboot command... From which operating system? I like...
  10. Been away and can't make sense of W10 conditions

in Windows 10 Support
    Been away and can't make sense of W10 conditions: I have been away from the forum for a long time. And as such I have missed out on a lot of key info. So I have some questions (that have prolly been asked a thousand times so please bear with me...) In order to upgrade must I do the upgrade via Windows Update? Or can I...