Windows 10: Does local account support Two-factor authentication?

Discus and support Does local account support Two-factor authentication? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I'm guessing one needs a Microsoft account for it... but I'm not sure, I would like it to first scan my fingerprint then I get prompted for a password.... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by OxtailSnail, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Does local account support Two-factor authentication?

I'm guessing one needs a Microsoft account for it... but I'm not sure, I would like it to first scan my fingerprint then I get prompted for a password. Does anyone know if this is possible on a local account?

:)

OxtailSnail, Aug 22, 2017

2. Issue after adding a second login account

I think I figured out what happened. I believe my issue has to do with Windows 10 using a Microsoft login vs a local login on the operating system and a conflict (I believe) with the two-factor authentication software I placed on the PC prior to adding Guest
    User.

Basically I should have switched my admin account from the Microsoft login to a local account login first before adding additional users. The two-factor program does not recognize Microsoft login accounts without tinkering with some code in the OS first.

I figured this out by adding the two factor authorization software on another PC with Windows 10. The login was still set to Microsoft account login, and when I rebooted, I got a blank screen, with no choices. If I had made a second account as local, I am
    sure it would have just shown that local account.

Warhammer486, Aug 22, 2017
  3. Time Lady Win User
    windows live mail 2012 password problem

Does either account use two-step/factor authentication?

If so then you’ll require an app specific password which is entered instead of the account password.

Windows Live Mail is no longer supported so it may be wise to find an alternative.

Time Lady, Aug 22, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Does local account support Two-factor authentication?

I'm not sure if it possible to do what you want with any sort of account - either Microsoft or Local.

When you log into Windows you have the choice of PIN, Password or Fingerprint (or face or iris) depending on what hardware you have and what you have set up. At this point I don't think you can set 2 factor authentication (if by that you mean using more than one of these). You can only chose one method - so in your case either fingerprint or password.

If you look at this blog, Microsoft call using a fingerprint reader 2 factor authentication as you need both the finger and the device. I suppose this is technically true but isn't how most people would understand 2FA - i.e. having to do 2 things.

Windows 10: Security and Identity Protection for the Modern World

What you could do is set an password to be displayed earlier in the boot process. If you had 10 Pro you could set a bitlocker password but as you have home this is not possible. Depending on your BIOS you may be able to set a BIOS password and/or a password to unlock your hard disk. All of these passwords are issued before windows boots so none of these would be triggered if you locked your screen - only after shutting down or restarting. They would mean it requires both a password and fingerprint to boot your system though.

5. Thank you for the reply, its unfortunate you cant modify it for multiple identification methods after one another in my opinion

OxtailSnail, Aug 23, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    I agree. For me 2FA means doing 2 things. I think MS are being rather disingenuous calling fingerprint or PIN 2FA although it is all semantics I suppose. They are probably correct.

There are other options (all of which require Windows 10 Pro not Home I think) like requiring a smart card or a bitlocker USB key and password). None of these really cover what you want anyway.

There might be some third party software to force fingerprint and password (I believe HP does some for their business line laptops) but I don't know anything about that I'm afraid.

If you are making a choice between using a password or PIN/biometric to logon (rather than both) is definitely more secure to take the second option - see the link below

Why a PIN is better than a password (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

7. I agree. I would have password/pin, iris and fingerprint on at the same time if possible, if I ever would have such security requirements. Then if for some reason I can not get into my system I would have to use a master password only that is insanely long (like 200+ characters long) *Smile

I would love to have an easy way to accomplish this.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does local account support Two-factor authentication?

1. Does local account support Two-factor authentication? - Similar Threads - Does local account

2. TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION APP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION APP: I have come to a disappointing realization that I can no longer access my Facebook account using the authentication app. In an attempt to resolve the issue, I removed the app from my secondary phone, but this step did not alleviate the problem. I have reached out to Facebook...
  3. Two Factor Authentication Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Factor Authentication Issue: Two Factor Authentication has been forced upon all users who aren't already using it. I have a user that doesn't have a phone, therefore cannot use the authenticator app, and it doesn't even give the option to use a phone number. This user cannot get onto the system and this...
  4. Two Factor Authentication Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Factor Authentication Issue: Two Factor Authentication has been forced upon all users who aren't already using it. I have a user that doesn't have a phone, therefore cannot use the authenticator app, and it doesn't even give the option to use a phone number. This user cannot get onto the system and this...
  5. Two factor authentication problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two factor authentication problem.: i using my accout since long time. i'm using two factor authentication for privacy purpose. recently i lost my mobile number and can't get that number. thats why i can't access my account properly. what should i do now? where i can prove my identity i have every documents....
  6. Two factor authentication problem.

Two factor authentication problem.: i using my accout since long time. i'm using two factor authentication for privacy purpose. recently i lost my mobile number and can't get that number. thats why i can't access my account properly. what should i do now? where i can prove my identity i have every documents....
  7. Two-factor Authentication Recovery

Two-factor Authentication Recovery: I had 2FA set up on an android phone which is now broken - I did not 'back-up' the Microsoft 2FA app unfortunately. Is there a way to restore the accounts I had on there with my new phone?...
  8. Two-factor Authentication Recovery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two-factor Authentication Recovery: I had 2FA set up on an android phone which is now broken - I did not 'back-up' the Microsoft 2FA app unfortunately. Is there a way to restore the accounts I had on there with my new phone?...
  9. Two-factor Authentication Recovery

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. Two Factor Authentication Issue

Two Factor Authentication Issue: I'll start by saying this is a temp account I created specifically to ask this question on the forum. I recently switched mobile devices and I had the Microsoft Authenticator app set up with my actual account on the old phone. When i transferred data to the new phone, i...