Windows 10: Does Microsoft take over?

Discus and support Does Microsoft take over? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I really want to upgrade to 10 but I am reading so much about Microsoft controlling everything it puts me off. Can we still control how we go about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Deblk, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Deblk Win User

Does Microsoft take over?

I really want to upgrade to 10 but I am reading so much about Microsoft controlling everything it puts me off.

Can we still control how we go about things?
    Can we use third party apps?
    Is there a lot of bloatware?
    I don't have an xbox but it seems that 10 makes a big deal about that. Can we uninstall all the stuff we don't want?
    And so the list goes on.

Can you guys give some reassurances to do this because how I see it is that eventually will have to go down that road but seems a bit silly not to take the free upgrade which is coming to an end in 3 day.

Please put me out of my misery of thinking should I or shouldn't I *Biggrin

:)

Deblk, Jul 25, 2016
  2. ajfunky Win User

At what point does Microsoft take responsibility for its bad recommendation to upgrade to Windows 10?

Why are you slave to downgrading MY PC?

Genuine windows user greetz

Do NOT want downgrades

presented as upgrades

please or should Isay bad boy?

MAD

ajfunky, Jul 25, 2016
  3. At what point does Microsoft take responsibility for its bad recommendation to upgrade to Windows 10?

After helping with several thousand Upgrades, I compiled these steps for
    Overcoming Windows 10 Upgrade Failures
    which avoid all problems and end up with a better install than the inferior in-place Upgrade, but without having to do the more involved

Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade

If you'll look over the steps and ask back any questions, I'll be glad to continue helping you when ready.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 25, 2016
  4. pcgeek11 Win User

Make a good image of your current system and save it to an external drive.

Upgrade to Windows 10 and give it an honest try. If you find you cannot deal with it restore your image and be done with Windows 10. Then at worst you will have a digital license attached to your computer for future use.

pcgeek11, Jul 25, 2016
  5. dencal Win User
    Ooeerr.....this could start yet another tin foil hat debate....

dencal, Jul 25, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Actually, I have always wondered if tin foil (of course really aluminium or that stuff called aluminum) is adequate or whether should you really use a denser metal such as lead as used in nuclear reactors to stop gamma rays - the most powerful form of radiation.

I do not want to alarm our "stannum headgear" comrades but I think THEY can still get you otherwise - of course lead brings other health concerns, so I would use a tin foil lining inside the lead sheath - recommend a neck brace as well for the extra weight of course.

cereberus, Jul 25, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Actually "Tin" in tin foil comes from actual Tin (Sn) used in first cans to stop oxidation of iron tin cans were made of. Tin is highly malleable and was aluminum scarce, so scarce if fact that Napoleon was eating out of aluminum dishes and silverware while his guests ate out of gold and finest china.

CountMike, Jul 25, 2016
  8. Does Microsoft take over?

Go for it, if you dont like 10, revert back to current OS

paulsalter, Jul 25, 2016
  9. Deblk Win User
    Thank you....should I create a microsoft account or stick to my local account?

Deblk, Jul 25, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    You need an MS account to access many of the new features. However, you can use a local account and login to features individually.

One definte plus is you can reset passwoed more easily if you forget it with an MS account.

cereberus, Jul 25, 2016
  11. Personally I would use an MS account, it just makes things easier when using MS services (now or future)

You can use a local and then change this over to a MS account later if you want to

paulsalter, Jul 25, 2016
  12. altae Win User
    Go for it. You cannot lose anything. Use an imaging software (free or paid) to make an image of your system drive/ partition. If you don't like 10 just wipe the HDD and restore your image. After the restore you will be back to your current os but you will have claimed your Windows 10 license and you will always be able to reinstall 10 if you want to.

altae, Jul 25, 2016
  13. Does Microsoft take over?

This tutorial explains the advantages and disadvantages of local vs. Microsoft accounts:

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

It really boils down to how you use your computer and whether the new features available through the MS account are important/useful for you.

For me, they are not. So, I recently set up my new OEM Win10 box with a local account only.
    You can always add the MS account later, if you want.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 25, 2016
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    @Deblk
    One more thing about upgrading your Windows 7 Home. You have until the 29th of this month to upgrade for Free!!! After that if you decide to upgrade to Windows 10 Home, it will cost you over a 100.00 as the FREE upgrade ENDS VERY SOON!!!
    You should download a Free program called Macrium Reflect and make a Full backup image and keep it on a 2nd drive, external would be the best idea. Here is a link for Macrium.
    Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Jul 25, 2016
  15. As another suggestion, stop listening to the people or websites who were giving you the information on Windows 10.

DeaconFrost, Jul 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Does Microsoft take over? - Similar Threads - Does Microsoft

2. why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?: There are multiple errors that prevent upgrade to Windows 11.It seems many users are stuck with various problems such as 0x80070643 etc.Looking through the communities posts is like watching people play the game Myst with clues that just lead to other problems.Have yet to...
  3. why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?: There are multiple errors that prevent upgrade to Windows 11.It seems many users are stuck with various problems such as 0x80070643 etc.Looking through the communities posts is like watching people play the game Myst with clues that just lead to other problems.Have yet to...
  4. Microsoft Copilot app spotted in Windows Server 2022, but it does nothing for now

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Copilot app spotted in Windows Server 2022, but it does nothing for now: Microsoft Edge is quietly adding a Copilot app to Windows machines, and Windows Server 2022 is the latest target. Previously, a full-fledged Copilot was added to Windows Server 2025 preview builds, but Microsoft pulled the AI feature without telling us anything about it. It...
  5. Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...: Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect directly! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-modern-usb-speaker-not-work-through/50c68238-d958-4db5-8532-228d7bf5807f
  6. Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...

Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...: Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect directly! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-modern-usb-speaker-not-work-through/50c68238-d958-4db5-8532-228d7bf5807f
  7. Does Microsoft Modern USB speaker not work through a USB hub? I'm out of ports to connect...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...
  9. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...
  10. Does microsoft edge have a built in VPN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does microsoft edge have a built in VPN?: I read online that edge has a vpn but is limited to 500 meggbites if edge has a vpn is there away to get more data usage on the vpn. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-microsoft-edge-have-a-built-in-vpn/f72494d4-c8e6-4aac-95f4-01547bef4eb7