Windows 10: Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments?

Discus and support Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I thought I read an article this week that said one of the new Outlook or Office security updates prevents the opening of fairly standard attachments... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Gator5000e, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments?

I thought I read an article this week that said one of the new Outlook or Office security updates prevents the opening of fairly standard attachments such as PDFs, etc. Has anyone one experienced this? I have 4 Office updates that need to be installed after reboot. I really need to be able to open attachments. The updates I have pending are the following:

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3203460)

Security Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB3203464

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3191844)

Security Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB3203467)

Thanks for any thoughts.

:)

Gator5000e, Jun 15, 2017
  2. denmarfl Win User

"Send link by email" doesn't open Outlook 2010 after upgrade to 1709

Today my PC was updated ........."Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 build 16299.19"

Prior to this Update I could open IE11, go to a website, go to the File Menu, select SEND.."Link by E-mail", Outlook 2010 would open and the link would be Pre-Filled into a new Outlook email.

After this Update today, when I click on SEND...Link by email...Outlook does NOT open.

Is this a glitch or, security update in this New Window 10 Update is now blocking "Link by E-Mail".

* Original title: Windows 10; Internet Explorer

denmarfl, Jun 15, 2017
  3. Can't sync my *** Email address is removed for privacy *** to mail

It seems the W10 download messed up my Outlook security permissions. I reset them and rebooted. This fixed the problem and I can send/receive from my Outlook verizon.netemail account now.

Tizhimself, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments?

Hi Gator5000e.

I experienced this recently but I just assumed it was an update, never determined root cause. For me I couldn't open powerpoint ppt files. My fix was simple enough. With powerpoint open

File=>Options+Trust Center=>Trust Center Settings=> File Block Settings. I then removed the check mark beside the 2003 file types.

I could then open.

Now I'm not saying this is a fix for the issue you are describing but this was my experience. I should also note it was Powerpoint 2010 that wouldn't open file. I should also add, this happened to me about a month ago. Outlook also has a trust center but in 2013 I don't see same Trust Center Settings.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 15, 2017
  5. Gator5000e, Jun 15, 2017
  6. Outlook needs to be able to send attachments to be used in business. Typically you download the attachment then double click and the associated program will run. Example Adobe reader win run and bring up PDF.

orlbuckeye, Jun 15, 2017
  7. Actually, I use the preview pane in 2010 to review PDFs and other attachments and view the attachments before opening them without downloading them to my desktop. But no matter.

I took a deep breath and rebooted and let the updates install and so far no issues with attachments that were already in Outlook 2010. I will see if new emails with attachments are affected.

Gator5000e, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments?

1. Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments? - Similar Threads - Does Outlook Security

2. Open Outlook Attachment With...

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Open Outlook Attachment With...: Win10 1909. If I receive a JPEG attached to an Outlook 2019 email I click to open it... [img] Problem is that this selection does not persist in Outlook, the next time I open a JPEG attachment I again get this selection window. The setting persists for all other...
  3. Outlook attachment virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outlook attachment virus: How can I scan a PDF attachment in Outlook for a possible virus and/or malware? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-attachment-virus/d4b6d915-c8cb-43c9-95b4-a561c1f972ad"
  4. Outlook 2016 Not Sending Attachments After Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Outlook 2016 Not Sending Attachments After Update: Since the Fall Update, I can no longer send emails with attachments on Outlook 2016. I understand that the size limit for attachments is 20 mb but my emails with attachments only total 7 mb so this does not seem to be an issue. Prior to the update, I could send emails with...
  5. Outlook will not open a PDF Attachement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook will not open a PDF Attachement: I received mt E ticket via my Hotmail account but Outlook will not open the PDF attachment Air Canada sent via my hotmail account? I guess they are trying to force me to purchase the upgraded version!!!!!...
  6. Outlook webmail attachments autosaving instead of opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook webmail attachments autosaving instead of opening: I have a user that prefers the online version of Outlook even though we have the standalone module, he prefers to use it online. He gets Excel attachments every day that he needs to open and print- he doesn't need to save them to his desktop but it forces him to. This is the...
  7. Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook: Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the outlook ... there are important emails. made by the archive outlook 2007 .pst, copied to a USB flash drive. Then reset the system, set the same office 2007. Now I want to recover the mail data (they are very important) ......
  8. Cannot open or preview Outlook attachments anymore

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot open or preview Outlook attachments anymore: Upgraded Win 7 Pro to Win 10 pro. Using Outlook 2013. Office attachments (word, excel etc...) can no longer be previewed or open directly from within the email. Now have to drag to desktop to open. Windows seems to report that the files are corrupt when attempting to open...
  9. Outlook 365 - Attachments not available when email opened

Outlook 365 - Attachments not available when email opened: My wife's laptop on the same network as my PC and using the same version of Outlook 365 displays the paperclip indicating the message has an attached file. But when the message file is opened the attached file is no longer displayed (and available to be opened) above the...
  10. Unable to open attachment/appointment Office Outlook/calendar

Unable to open attachment/appointment Office Outlook/calendar: My client has Office outlook 2007 installed on his laptop running Windows 10. Upon receipt of an email the attachment goes to his calendar. Up until 7 days ago he was able to open the attachment/appointment directly from his calendar. The attachment/appointment is a .pdf...