Windows 10: Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID

Discus and support Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have an SSD in my computer as well as a RAID 5 array that was set up in Windows. I booted from another SSD with Windows on it and somehow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DerSlo, Aug 23, 2018.

1. DerSlo Win User

Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID

Hello,

I have an SSD in my computer as well as a RAID 5 array that was set up in Windows. I booted from another SSD with Windows on it and somehow screwed up the boot files on the main SSD. I think the best thing to do would be reinstalling Windows on the corrupted bootable SSD. However, I am worried that after plugging the drives back into the freshly installed Windows that it will no longer detect the volume as the RAID 5 array that they were to begin with. Being that I can not boot into Windows I am unable to back up the data on the array. Will the RAID array be there after reinstalling Windows or will I need to find a way to back up the data first? Also, I have tried just about everything I could find on forums and YouTube to repair the MBR on this SSD and nothing has worked. If anyone knows of a way to repair the boot files without having to reinstall Windows that would be amazing!!

Thank you so much for your help!

:)

DerSlo, Aug 23, 2018
  2. Maria Fab Win User

software raid discovery

Hello,

Software RAID (redundant array of independent disks) is a form of
    RAID performed on the internal server. RAID is a data protection method that can be in the form of hardware or software, depending on where the processing occurs.

This kind of issue is more complex than what is normally posted here in the Community. We suggest that you post your query in our
    TechNet Forum for further assistance.

Regards.

Maria Fab, Aug 23, 2018
  3. Windows 7 RAID or Intel RAID?

Just to add to this. I used to use windows raid 0 for a number of years. The advantage was I could port the raid across motherboard and chipset changes (even AMD to Intel).

Performance wise it's software raid VS fake hw raid, I doubt the difference would be much. If you plan to stick to intel though (or ever want to dual boot Linux) probably use their raid would be my suggestion. It's possible to make a windows raid 0 volume accessible on linux but its tricky?

Millennium, Aug 23, 2018
  4. laalflynn Win User

software raid discovery

i recently had an issue with win 10 requiring me to do a fresh install, so i disconnected all drives other than c: so as not to disturb them (two of which were in a software raid). upon reinstalling windows i reconnected my other drives, due to the fact
    i was installing the same version of windows i would just reconnect my drives and everything would be in order. however the drives that were in a raid are being recognised but not in the raid form, so i was wondering if there is any way to rediscover the raid
    without the loss of data. any help would be well appreciated.

thanks

laalflynn, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Reinstalling Windows Affect Software RAID - Similar Threads - Does Reinstalling Affect

2. Restore Windows 11 software RAID after Windows 11 Reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Windows 11 software RAID after Windows 11 Reinstall: Had to reinstall Windows 11 Pro. Afterwards a Striped drive created in previously in Windows 11 Pro failed to reconnect the array. How do I reconnect the drives in Windows 11? This is NOT my OS drive. Disk 0 These are two m.2 NVME 4Tb drives that show up as Disk 2 and Disk 3...
  3. Restore Windows 11 software RAID after Windows 11 Reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Windows 11 software RAID after Windows 11 Reinstall: Had to reinstall Windows 11 Pro. Afterwards a Striped drive created in previously in Windows 11 Pro failed to reconnect the array. How do I reconnect the drives in Windows 11? This is NOT my OS drive. Disk 0 These are two m.2 NVME 4Tb drives that show up as Disk 2 and Disk 3...
  4. Windows software raid 0 issue

Windows software raid 0 issue: My raid 0 is missing, when reconnecting the drives, I can see them both in the Disk Management as foreign disks, however when I click on import, I get 2 options both showing " import disk group disk 1 of 1, if I click ok I get a warning that a volume is missing, so I cancel....
  5. Does reinstalling windows 10 affect other drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does reinstalling windows 10 affect other drives?: I want to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop with 2 hard drives, becouse I have been experiencing software issues on my laptop. I have windows installed on partition C: of an ssd drive. Will the reinstallation affect partition D: on my other drive?...
  6. Does reinstalling windows 10 affect other drives?

Does reinstalling windows 10 affect other drives?: I want to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop with 2 hard drives, becouse I have been experiencing software issues on my laptop. I have windows installed on partition C: of an ssd drive. Will the reinstallation affect partition D: on my other drive?...
  7. Does reinstalling windows 10 affect other drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Striped 0 Windows 10 RAID - will be affected by OS reinstall?

in Windows 10 Support
    Striped 0 Windows 10 RAID - will be affected by OS reinstall?: I setup a Raid 0 stripe volume between 3 seperate drives in WIndows 10 disk management. If I reinstall the OS of Windows 10 that's on a seperate SSD, will it affect the raid 0 since that was initially created in Windows 10? Will the stripe 0 volume still be there after...
  9. Problem with software RAID

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with software RAID: I have four 4TB drives I created a software RAID 5 on. When accessing the volume, specifically writing to it, my PC becomes noticeably less stable; as in, a video's audio stream stopping for a few milliseconds like when playing a really high-bitrate file from a hard drive...
  10. Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading Windows 10 Motherboard without affecting the Raid: I currently have a small media server like setup using some old computer parts of mine, with Windows 10 Prof OEM setup on a SSD and 2 x 2Tb storage HDDs, which are partitioned to allow for a 500Gb software raid 1 per HDD (for redundancy) and the rest setup as software raid 0...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what protection does windows software raid 5 have