Windows 10: Does Repair Install download less if run from installation media?

Discus and support Does Repair Install download less if run from installation media? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If I run Repair Install from setup.exe on USB, DVD or in an ISO image, does it use the files from the media, thereby downloading 3.2GB less than if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rackbrane, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Rackbrane Win User

Does Repair Install download less if run from installation media?

If I run Repair Install from setup.exe on USB, DVD or in an ISO image, does it use the files from the media, thereby downloading 3.2GB less than if I run it from the Media Creation Tool? I would be using media for the currently installed version 14393 of Windows 10 Home.

Is the outcome the same as I obtained when running the original upgrade from 10586 to 14393 (except that there will now be more updates)?

:)

Rackbrane, Oct 24, 2016
  2. 2wicked Win User

Infinite reboot loop after W10 anniversary update

I downloaded the Windows 10 installation media to USB using another computer and booted from it expecting to be able to run a repair utility. All it says is: "It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from an installation
    media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click Yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No.".

Clicking Yes returns me to the reboot loop.

Does anybody know how I can run a repair utility?

2wicked, Oct 24, 2016
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. Any form of upgrade repair install uses the same data as a starting point.
    2. Not more updates, but a growing cumulative update.

dalchina, Oct 24, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    The cumulative update does not necessarily grow as stuff often gets replaced in favour of later updates.

cereberus, Oct 24, 2016
  6. Rackbrane Win User
    After starting though, does it download all the Windows base files again, or use the base files from the media I provide? If it uses the media, then there will be around 3.2GB less to download.

Rackbrane, Oct 26, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    If you run Setup from the USB, DVD or ISO image you created earlier then the files to install Windows will be copied from the media. Only updates will need to be downloaded.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does Repair Install download less if run from installation media? - Similar Threads - Does Repair Install

2. Does Media Creation Tool download Windows, or does it copy files from the already installed...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Media Creation Tool download Windows, or does it copy files from the already installed...: When i use Media Creation Tool to add Windows SETUP to my USB drive, where does the Tool get the files from - from Windows 10 that is installed on my computer, or does the Tool download Windows 10 from Microsoft servers?If i have viruses and my Windows 10 is infected, will...
  3. Does Media Creation Tool download Windows, or does it copy files from the already installed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does Media Creation Tool download Windows, or does it copy files from the already installed...: When i use Media Creation Tool to add Windows SETUP to my USB drive, where does the Tool get the files from - from Windows 10 that is installed on my computer, or does the Tool download Windows 10 from Microsoft servers?If i have viruses and my Windows 10 is infected, will...
  4. Does Media Creation Tool download Windows, or does it copy files from the already installed...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reinstalltion from USB with downloaded installation media fails

Reinstalltion from USB with downloaded installation media fails: I inherited a Dell Inspiron 14 laptop with Windows 10 installed and no password. I attempted to reinstall windows using the installation tool downloaded from Microsoft. At the log-in I restarted the machine with the shift key depressed, and it boots to the USB, requests...
  6. Does installing over an existing broken installation repair it?

Does installing over an existing broken installation repair it?: I have this problem with VLC Player where it got broken during an update and now I can't even uninstall it. I was wondering, if I ran the installer and installed over the existing installation (same folder), would that repair the broken installation? In other words, would...
  7. MSI installer not running from Downloads folder

MSI installer not running from Downloads folder: Hello, I am a developer at Lacuna Software and we are experiencing installation issues on one of our softwares with 1,500,000+ users: MSI installer does NOT run from the Downloads folder with double click MSI installer does NOT run from CMD> msiexec /i...
  8. Download installation media

Download installation media: To repair my system Win 10 Home Version 1903 I need installation media Version 1903. How can I get this version. On Win 10 Download Page the Version 1909 awailable only...
  9. Windows 10 repair install will not work from external media

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 repair install will not work from external media: Windows 10 in-place repair install reports it cannot be run from external media, only from windows 10. But windows 10 will not boot which is why i want to repair it - catch 22 situation? Or is thereva way? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks...
  10. Download via Media Installer

Download via Media Installer: Been downloading Win 10 since 1430 (ish) nearly 6 hours, and only on 20% - should I bin it and say no! 10911