Windows 10: Does "Reset Windows" in Win10 kill settings & 3d party apps?

Discus and support Does "Reset Windows" in Win10 kill settings & 3d party apps? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have loads of valuable info/files/3d party apps on my Win10 Home ver. & I'm considering doing a reset of the OS to ensure I have a clean environment.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oldwolf, May 14, 2016.

1. oldwolf Win User

Does "Reset Windows" in Win10 kill settings & 3d party apps?

I have loads of valuable info/files/3d party apps on my Win10 Home ver. & I'm considering doing a reset of the OS to ensure I have a clean environment.

However, I don't want to lose my 3d party apps & their data i.e. Adobe Lightroom's Catalog.

So can anyone tell me definitively by experience if doing a Reset will affect only the OS, or will it impact my other stuff?

tia,

:)

oldwolf, May 14, 2016

2. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

As I said in my first post you can either try to update it's software to see if it cures it.

If it doesn't then your phone is faulty and you will need to get it repaired.

psychomania---01, May 14, 2016
  3. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

i contacted nokia who replied :

Thank you for emailing Nokia Care.

I appreciate your feedback. However, at the moment the Nokia Software Updater does not support Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070.

In response to your email, there are no issues with Nokia 6080 nor Nokia 6070. Please take both phones to your nearest Nokia Care Point. The technicians will assess if a repair is required and advise if this may be covered under the warranty.

went to carphone warehouse & explained the problem,

the lady i dealt with told me that this IS a problem she has seen over & over again.

because the phone was still within the 14day period they exchanged it for a different handset [for which i needed to fork out another load of £££'s. guess i should've spent more in the first place!!]

i asked what they will do with my returned phone,

she said it'll be added to the collection of them which need to send back to nokia.

perhaps nokia are in denial cause they havent had the stores returns yet?

anyway,

i hope everyone else will be fortunate enough to get a replacement.

kareldevelop, May 14, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

5. oldwolf Win User
    thanks Kari, & I'll check out those videos.

btw, I have the free version of aoemi backup s/w; would it be possible to save my settings via a Restore Point, or would that be wiped as well? If it'll be wiped, where do Restore Points reside, so I can B/U those to an external drive along w/my files & folders w/aoemi?

TIA,

oldwolf, May 14, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    Restore points will be removed i believe on Refresh and definitely on a Reset. I do not think there is a way of saving restore points on another drive or backup software. Restore Points are saved in a hidden folder called System Volume Information.

This program is good to use after you do your reset or refresh for system images and backups.
    Just redo settings if you do a reset.

jds63, May 14, 2016
  7. Kari Win User
    Moving or copying shadow copies / restore points is a classical Catch 22 situation: in order to be able to move or copy restore points you need first disable System Restore which deletes all restore points. That will not work.

8. jds63 Win User

jds63, May 14, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    The OP is not asking how to extract files from a restore point. The question is about backing them up and use on another installation. Therefore my reply:

10. jds63 Win User
    Yes, after reading it again i realized this, thank you. I would not worry about this part myself as long as my important files were backed up redoing settings is no big deal.

jds63, May 14, 2016
  11. oldwolf Win User
    to all responding: I was thinking of using a Restore Point to preserve my Win10 settings onto my external HD & then b/u my files & folders & do the Reset & then restore; thanks to all for good pointers & very timely help.

oldwolf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does "Reset Windows" in Win10 kill settings & 3d party apps? - Similar Threads - Does Reset Win10

2. Windows updates killing apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updates killing apps.: Why does Microsoft think it is acceptable to push out updates that trash existing, working apps and hardware. This happened to me today, but I see it in 2022 and in 2020. Sensing a pattern here....
  3. Windows updates killing apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updates killing apps.: Why does Microsoft think it is acceptable to push out updates that trash existing, working apps and hardware. This happened to me today, but I see it in 2022 and in 2020. Sensing a pattern here....
  4. Setting up Third-Party apps in Windows Kiosk Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Third-Party apps in Windows Kiosk Mode: I would like to know if there is a way to set up third party apps in the Windows kiosk mode without using an external software. Right now, when I select apps in the assigned apps sections, the list only includes Windows apps. I was wondering if there was an alternate way to...
  5. Setting up Third-Party apps in Windows Kiosk Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up Third-Party apps in Windows Kiosk Mode: I would like to know if there is a way to set up third party apps in the Windows kiosk mode without using an external software. Right now, when I select apps in the assigned apps sections, the list only includes Windows apps. I was wondering if there was an alternate way to...
  6. Setting up Third-Party apps in Windows Kiosk Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. create backup of Win10 installation with 3rd party apps and settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    create backup of Win10 installation with 3rd party apps and settings: Hi guys, i'm looking for the best way to create an easy image of the installation of windows after i set up all my necessary apps, so if something crashes badly, i dont have to reinstall everything. I remember back in the day i was using some DOS app called EZ drive or...
  8. Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 -> XB1 Wireless Connection app kills NVIDIA GPU: I just got a spiffy new laptop the day after the new Wireless Connection app for Xbox One was released. I was stoked. I'm getting a powerful Win10 laptop with a NVIDIA GTX 1060 card - beats the heck out of the MX150 I had in my old machine. Anyway, I was thrilled to connect...
  9. 3d party apps crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    3d party apps crash: I need to run 3d party apps like Blender or Sony Vegas 15 on my office desktop on Intel UHD 630 with LG monitor. I had to reinstall Windows 10 and then downloaded and installed these 3d party software. But they started crashing every moment!...
  10. Win10 10586 Kills Game Performance?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 10586 Kills Game Performance?: Hello, I run Win 10 Pro, and from today i got this big update. But strangely this update killed COMPLETLY the game performance of my pc. no matter how i set the graphics settings, every 5 seconds every game i have lags for about 1 second (unplayable!). I never had such...