Windows 10: Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors

Discus and support Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors of the failing hard drive? I was at my local pc store for him to change over my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hollyoaks777, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors

Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors of the failing hard drive? I was at my local pc store for him to change over my hard drive. But he said it was Windows 10 that was the problem and to factory reset my PC. I think him seeing it was an HP, put him off. So I never took his advice and took NavyLcdr's and installed my new hard drive myself. So I am just curious to see if this is true or not?

:)

hollyoaks777, Apr 3, 2017
  2. JimEnniss Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new hard drive

Installing Windows 10 on new hard drive. Recovering content of old hard drive.

1. Save a system image backup on external hard drive.

2. Make a USB recovery drive.

I mount the SSD and boot from the recovery drive and select Advanced options > system image recovery and I get this error message.

System image restore failed, can't restore system image to computer with different firmware. Image was created on computer using BIOS and this Computer is using EFI.

I cannot get Windows 10 operating system and all my files installed on the new hard drive.

JimEnniss, Apr 3, 2017
  3. restoring windows 10 on a new hard drive without a disc

Hi,

A product key is a 25-character code that's used to activate Windows. In most cases, Windows 10 activates automatically using a digital license and doesn’t require you to enter a product key.

To resolve your concern about reinstalling Windows 10 on a new hard drive, follow the steps provided on the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change. You can also check
    Andre Da Costa’s response on this link for more options
    about your concern.

Let us know how it goes.

***If you think this was helpful, don't hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.***

Efraim Gar, Apr 3, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors

Good question.

There is a lot of error correction at work (parity and bit and checksums for example) that are able to mathematically correct errors up to a certain point on any disk. If a disk has bad physical sectors and the data in that sector is not readable and yet ends up in a backup image then I would say yes, the image will also have corrupt data. In this case it is just the data that is corrupt (the wrong 1's and 0's) and not the actual disk holding the data that is the problem. So if it were a user file affected then it may be of no consequence, you could replace the file, picture or whatever. If it was a vital part of the operating system then you could have problems. It might be possible to repair the restored image by using the various tools available within in Windows and from MS to identify and overwrite the corrupt information.

I think the bottom line is that if the system you image is giving problems due to a failing HDD (rather than just corrupt data) then you are going to run into problems in trying to clone that image to a new HDD.

Mooly, Apr 3, 2017
  5. Thank you I thought the hard drive would not let the bad sectors in. Now I know what to do in future thank you.

6. Bree New Member
    Error correction and multiple re-tries may have got the correct data off the failing disk. For the rest, sfc/scannow should be able to repair damaged files. If that too fails an in-place repair install may do the job, at least as far as the Windows system is concerned.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Bree, Apr 3, 2017
  7. I just installed the new hard drive and fresh install of Windows 10 Pro this time. As I wasn't taking the chance just checking on here to see if what he said was true. An off subject question now if you don't mind is there a way to have text and pictures downloaded in the Windows mail app instead of having to click a link to download them?

8. RolandJS Win User

If there are problems with Windows operations, for example, let's say several shortcuts no longer work for whatever reason (be it registry or whatever), cloning also "moves" those errors from source to target.

RolandJS, Apr 4, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    Yes, cloning carries any errors over along with other characteristics such as fragmentation and so on. You are simply copying the 1's and 0's from one disc to another.

Mooly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Does restoring a Windows image to a new hard drive copy all the errors - Similar Threads - Does restoring image

2. Trying to restore Windows 10 backup image to a new hard drive but keep getting error...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to restore Windows 10 backup image to a new hard drive but keep getting error...: My hard drive failed last week, so I purchased a replacement 3.5'' Sata drive of the same size 1TB and installed it in my computer.I have been trying to do a system image restore from my backup drive from an image that was created the week before my hard drive...
  3. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  4. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  5. Not able to restore windows system image from an hard drive

Not able to restore windows system image from an hard drive: Hi, I recently backed up my system image to an 1TB External HD. I installed a new ssd in my laptop and did a fresh windows 10 install. But one of my 4tb Western Digital External HD didn't get unlocked even after entering the correct password. So i wanted to restore to the...
  6. Restore System Image to new NVMe drive

Restore System Image to new NVMe drive: Subject about says it all. After I get my PC and Win 10 to recognize the new drive will a basic System Restore to the new drive succeed? Old SSD and new NVMe both about 500 gig. About 175 gig free on old SSD. Thanks, Terry...
  7. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  8. How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?

How to restore Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive?: How to restore a Windows 10 system image to a new hard drive? Re-ask: I want to shift my operating system to a new disk. I have the system image on an external HDD. I have the new disk installed in the computer. C: is disk 0 and the new disk is disk 1. the new disk is...
  9. Install system image on new hard drive

Install system image on new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I decided to create a system image to use on new hard drive. Every thing went well until I tried to load system image on new hard drive. Error message informed me that Win 10 uses UEFI, but my Win 7 used MBR. I upgraded my system from 7 to 10...
  10. Windows 10 Image to New Hard drive, not working

Windows 10 Image to New Hard drive, not working: I have purchased a new WD Blue 2TB hard drive. I had a WD Blue 1TB hard drive with W10 on it, all working etc. I created a System image of the W10 on the 1TB hard drive to a inatek USB external hard drive. I also created a System repair CD Disc for W10 I got my new 2TB...