Windows 10: Does/Should removable, internal hard drive spin down when ejected?

Discus and support Does/Should removable, internal hard drive spin down when ejected? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Several hard drives in internal bays in the case. TWO that go in external bays. One came with the computer's case, and it's a simple push on/pull off.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GracieAllen, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Does/Should removable, internal hard drive spin down when ejected?

Several hard drives in internal bays in the case. TWO that go in external bays. One came with the computer's case, and it's a simple push on/pull off. The other is a caddyless carrier in the front panel that pulls the drive out when it's released. Both WORK fine, disks get found when one is plugged in and all that.

BUT, after doing the backup or whatever, I "eject" whichever drive I was using, then remove it from the drive bay. It FEELS like the drives continue to spin even after ejecting them, which means they're getting the physical shock of me pulling them loose from the plug and pulling them out of the bay.

Is this a legitimate concern? And if so, is there something I should be doing when I eject one of these drives so it WILL spin down?

:)

GracieAllen, Aug 9, 2018

2. why does windows 10 want to eject my internal hard drive

turned on this morning and window now wants to eject my internal hard drives?

learning as we go, Aug 9, 2018
  3. A123 Win User
    How to disable Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media for an internal hard drive not connected to motherboard?

How do I help my dad to disable the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media for an internal hard drive not connected to the motherboard? My dad upgraded his Windows 7 Pro pc to Windows 10 Pro. My dad resolved the issue in Windows 7 with some registry
    modifications, but Windows 10 appears not to use those registry modifications.

A123, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Does/Should removable, internal hard drive spin down when ejected?

Missing Eject in "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" List

Hi Tze Lin Wong,

The configuration to this can be found under settings. To enable this feature follow these steps:

• Right-click the taskbar and select Taskbar settings.
    • Under Notification Area, choose
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar.
    • Scroll to Windows Explorer: Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media
      and turn it on.

If this doesn't work, I suggest that you check with your USB drive manufacturer for new drivers or other updates.

All the best.

Mark Isi, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

Does/Should removable, internal hard drive spin down when ejected?

1. Does/Should removable, internal hard drive spin down when ejected? - Similar Threads - Does Should removable

2. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  3. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  4. removing internal hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    removing internal hard drive: so i wanted to check something while i have no hdd and i want to remove my wd blue hard drive but i don't know if it's safe to start pc after unplugging hdd or not and my windows 10 is installed on my ssd so what should i do?...
  5. hard drive not ejecting.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive not ejecting.: The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4592 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25A2\57583831414336394B4A5659. how do i force eject, concidering how useless...
  6. External hard drive ejected but still spinning and moving heads

External hard drive ejected but still spinning and moving heads: I've got a 3.5" drive in a caddy that I use for backups. Up until a couple of weeks ago I could eject it in Windows and it would almost immediately spin down. Now, however, it's started behaving oddly. When I eject it, after Windows has confirmed it's OK to turn it off, the...
  7. Remove Internal Hard Drive From Safely Remove Hardware And Eject Media

Remove Internal Hard Drive From Safely Remove Hardware And Eject Media: I have an older computer, and have had trouble getting working SATA controller drivers for it, so I have had to revert the Marvell SATA/RAID driver back to Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver. Doing this has fixed my problems mostly, but now my internal hard drives show up...
  8. Showing eject of the internal drives

Showing eject of the internal drives: Yesterday I tried to convert the SATA options from IDE to AHIC I searched over the internet and found that I can't directly change those options and I need a windows registry fix to do it, so I did that and changed the SATA option from IDE to AHIC At boot up I got an error...
  9. How long does it take for a 2.5 hard drive to spin down completely?

How long does it take for a 2.5 hard drive to spin down completely?: I'd like to know approx how long does it take for a 2.5 portable hard drive to spin down completely after safely ejecting it in windows? Is 3 seconds well enough? Because I want to keep the best condition of the hard drive as long as possible. Another question: If I leave...
  10. How to spin down some hard drives

How to spin down some hard drives: I have 1 SSD and 4 HDD, out of that I'm mainly using my SSD and 1 HDD, the rest are just making noise. How can I spin only those 3 down, without having to reset my PC each time I want to use them (device manager method) or spinning down the 4th one (power settings method)?...