Windows 10: Does "the cloud" have something against TrueCrypt containers?

Discus and support Does "the cloud" have something against TrueCrypt containers? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having a little problem with uploading my backup files to "cloud" storage services lately. I have all my personal files in TrueCrypt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delly10, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Delly10 Win User

Does "the cloud" have something against TrueCrypt containers?

I've been having a little problem with uploading my backup files to "cloud" storage services lately. I have all my personal files in TrueCrypt containers to keep everything secure. I have them that way in my computer, and also in a flash drive. When my old computer died, I thought it would be a good idea to have a second backup of everything, so I uploaded the TrueCrypt containers from my flash drive to Microsoft OneDrive. About a month later, all my files were gone! I was told that my account was probably hacked. Well, then I discovered Google has it's own Drive service with the same capacity, so I used that since I've never had any of my gmail accounts hacked. I just went back to check on the status of my files, and discovered that they are gone from there too! What's even stranger is that I also had some "open" files that were not in TC containers because I didn't have a computer at the time to put them into TC files first, so I had uploaded them in the open. Those files are still there. So now I'm wondering if TC containers--or possibly any password protected files--are not allowed to be stored in online storage sites. Can anyone shed some light on this?

:)

Delly10, Jul 11, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Jul 11, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Jul 11, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

Rocky, Jul 11, 2016
  5. Delly10 Win User
    Delly10, Jul 11, 2016
  6. Rocky Win User
    It seems to me that if you keep the native file extension then you might be OK with a TrueCrypt file. You never know.

Rocky, Jul 11, 2016
  7. Delly10 Win User
    All that stuff in the link about file extensions is a bit confusing to me. All I know is that I gave each container a name when I created it to generally identify what is in it. Names like, Photos, Music, Documents, etc. They say that changing the file extensions could corrupt it. But keeping them as they are doesn't seem to allow me to keep them in a Cloud Storage service. I suppose I could just keep them in flash drives and DVDs, but I was hoping to do a Cloud option as well in order to have my backups in different locations and forms.

Delly10, Jul 11, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

I have a TrueCrypt file stored on OneDrive and it's still there.

Winuser, Jul 11, 2016
  9. Delly10 Win User
    How big is it? The article says smaller ones under 300MB should be ok. Mine were between 1 and 3GB.

Here's what the article specifically says about size:

Problems With Very Large Volumes

Some cloud storage software may not properly handle very large TrueCrypt volumes, potentially resulting in corruption or loss of data. Volumes 300 MB or less in size should be ok. Anything in the multi-GB range is definitely risky.

Delly10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Does "the cloud" have something against TrueCrypt containers? - Similar Threads - Does cloud something

2. Does duet display contain a virus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does duet display contain a virus?: I did not download it but it is on my desktop and I cannot delete for some reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-duet-display-contain-a-virus/ab33764e-138b-413e-9547-47a1276a4fc6
  3. Does duet display contain a virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does duet display contain a virus?: I did not download it but it is on my desktop and I cannot delete for some reason. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-duet-display-contain-a-virus/ab33764e-138b-413e-9547-47a1276a4fc6
  4. Are OneDrive, Google Drive cloud storage services safe against cyber attacks e.g....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Are OneDrive, Google Drive cloud storage services safe against cyber attacks e.g....: Last month my pc got affected by a ransomware attack and all of my files in different drives were encrypted. However, files in C windows drive were not encrypted i.e. they remained as before. I posted here and knew about this problem through various replies. Now, I wish to...
  5. Does windows defender defend against malware?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does windows defender defend against malware?: Hi. I am Suman Saha. I am a newbie in the Digital Marketing field and going to start my new WordPress blog site. In that case, I have to assure about the security of my website and computer as it will be my source of earning. I want to know about the malware security of...
  6. browse for file won't work because you have done something having to do with "the Cloud"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    browse for file won't work because you have done something having to do with "the Cloud": and can no longer access my own files on my computer 'the old way' however, that is the way I do it and lots of places need it that way. so, quit sending updates that automatically change without having it optional....
  7. change of location of onedrive folder to truecrypt container

change of location of onedrive folder to truecrypt container: If I change the location of onedrive folder to a truecrypt container, then whether sync will work when the container is not mounted or I will have to mount the container to sync the onedrive folder. 30219
  8. TrueCrypt automount problem on Windows 10

TrueCrypt automount problem on Windows 10: HIYAS, While I'm configuring latest Windows 10 I've met a problem with automounting TrueCrypt volumes on Windows logon. After initial TC install I was able to assign default keyfiles, define favourite volumes and set them for automount. This worked unattended several reboots...
  9. Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume

in Windows 10 Support
    Not indexing (searching) truecrypt volume: I can't get windows 10 to search mounted truecrypt volumes, ie, type part of the file name into the "search windows" box and it doesn't bring up a "best match", I just get "no results found". I have added the volumes to indexing locations in the indexing options (eg local...
  10. What does the Win10 Recovery contain?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the Win10 Recovery contain?: Hi folks - I just set up Win10 this week and created my recovery onto a USB. Does anyone know if it contains drivers and applications that were set up before this was performed? Hopefully it does. Thanks! 23076